Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Keeping fuel around the pump?

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping fuel around the pump?

So I live on a hill an I'm finding that if I have around maybe 5 gallons left in the tank my car tends to start having issues staying alive if I try to go up to my house. I'm pritty sure its the fuel tank not keeping the fuel at the pump location so it's picking up air. Has anyone found a better way to keep fuel around the pump. I know 5 gallons isn't a lot but kinda sucks if I ever am to far from a gas station.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done a couple of things. First I welded a piece of sheet metal b/w the skinny part of the tank and the fat part of the tank. This is mainly to try and control sloshing. It was a pain to weld through the fuel pump hole.

I also added a few blocks of fuel tank foam around the pickup. I wedged them b/w the pickup and sender parts. Hopefully they stay put. I've only been go carting around the neighborhood but no problems with only a gallon or two in the tank.

Skip

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I don't feel good about welding since I already put fuel into the tank. I will have to look into the fuel foam. Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is also the large fuel sock/mat that is used to draw fuel from a large surface area. I forget the brand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    There is also the large fuel sock/mat that is used to draw fuel from a large surface area. I forget the brand.
    Holley HydraMat, I'm really interested in this too but I haven't seen anyone here use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Holly hydramat may do it. For my MKII with a fuel cell, I'm looking at a small secondary pump to continuously pump fuel into the collector box.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Holley HydraMat, I'm really interested in this too but I haven't seen anyone here use it.
    Beat me to it.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    I do like the hydramat idea better then the foam. Any one have an idea on how to install this on an internal pump though? Seems all the examples are on external pumps. Should I assume I will need to convert to an external pump to get this to work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how well the hydromat will work with the little "bowl" that is under the pump. IMO the only way to go with this car is a surge tank.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    Not sure how well the hydromat will work with the little "bowl" that is under the pump. IMO the only way to go with this car is a surge tank.
    Option 1: This I think would work best if you want to keep the internal pump and if you have a walbro like me it will clip right on. Its offset by 1.25in from the center so I will see how that fits when I get home.
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/16-111

Option 2: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/16-105

Something like this might be long enough and site above the bowl well enough to allow for it to work.

Edit: I ordered option 1. I will keep my tank fuel levels where they are at(low) and install the hydramat when it arrives and see if I can make it up the hill with zero issues. Based on the youtube videos seems like the perfect fix.
    Last edited by redfogo; 08-03-2016 at 01:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that's what I was referring to. I've been considering it as well. I was only unsure on fittings to connect it to my aeromotive fuel pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Soo great news tested out the new hydramat works perfect no issues going up my hill no fuel added. Same or less fuel level as before made it up my hill no problem. I would reccomend this for everyone who is using the stock tank.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thx for the update. Glad it worked for you. The reviews I read were not great so it is good to hear of a positive experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Thx for the update. Glad it worked for you. The reviews I read were not great so it is good to hear of a positive experience.
    Hmmm any link to the bad reviews? When I looked I couldn't find much one thing though that is different about my set up from some others is I'm using the hydramat that directly fits into the walbro pumps

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't remember, sorry. It was pretty soon after they came out. I just checked Summit Racing and they are getting pretty good reviews there now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm at work so can't see if there are pix on this thread, but how easy was it to install the Hydramat?
    I'm freakin' interested in it too.

I have a Walbro 255-like pump, but not sure how perfectly exact to Walbro it is.
    Last edited by Frank818; 08-15-2016 at 07:30 AM.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    I'm at work so can't see if there are pix on this thread, but how easy was it to install the Hydramat?
    I'm freakin' interested in it too.

I have a Walbro 255-like pump, but not sure how perfectly exact to Walbro it is.
    I have a walbro 450 Im 90% sure it will fit your pump exactly the same. Install is very easy if you remembere when you installed your pre-pump filter its exactly the same. For me it went:
    1. Take pump out.
    2. Take old filter off the pump.
    3. Place hydramat onto the fitting of the pump.
    4. Place pump back in.

Here is a picture I could really get a pic of it installed in the tank it comes with a wide range of locking clips so you can pick lots of different angles for the hydramat to be installed.

Last edited by redfogo; 08-15-2016 at 08:34 AM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have the new or old tank? Did the tank baffle get in the way? Which shape hydramat did you end up using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Red, so I guess I should measure my pump inlet to make sure. Should be 11mm.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    More complicated and expensive route, but I had a custom tank made with a built in surge.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Welding/page5
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    More complicated and expensive route, but I had a custom tank made with a built in surge.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Welding/page5
    Your idea was going to be my next plan had this idea not worked. But looks like I'm golden at the moment lol. I will see how well it does as I get lower.

Post Thanks / Like
    Red, which fuel inlet you got, the big one on left or a small one like center and right?
    http://www.autoperformanceengineerin...l/fpspecs.html

On the Holley picture it seems the fitting fits the big one, but they say it fits GSS342 (I have GSS341 which is same size) and others with 11mm, confusing.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running this fuel surge tank. AMAZING option on track, unless you really run out of fuel, it gets every last drop.

When you do though, it stops immediately. No warning, ask me how I know:

Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Red, which fuel inlet you got, the big one on left or a small one like center and right?
    http://www.autoperformanceengineerin...l/fpspecs.html

On the Holley picture it seems the fitting fits the big one, but they say it fits GSS342 (I have GSS341 which is same size) and others with 11mm, confusing.
    Its for the small inlet not the big one in the picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the original FFR tank with the very small opening for the fuel pump. Since it is very difficult to install even the pump with the sock on it, I can't imagine how I could push the Hydramat and pump through that hole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    I have the original FFR tank with the very small opening for the fuel pump. Since it is very difficult to install even the pump with the sock on it, I can't imagine how I could push the Hydramat and pump through that hole.
    It folds so it actually gets thinner then the stock sock

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm working on a solution for this. Unfortunately, the only test vehicle I have is mine, which is about 25% complete at this point, hah.
    818C | Kit delivery: 3/19/16 | Status: Powertrain installed
    Daily: 2014 CTS-V - Fat and slow

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    I have a walbro 450 Im 90% sure it will fit your pump exactly the same. Install is very easy if you remembere when you installed your pre-pump filter its exactly the same.
    Could you share the part number for the hydramat you're using and what sort of fitting was on the inlet of your Walbro pump?
    All the hydramat's I've found have either a 1/2 npt, 3/8 npt, or -10AN fitting. The fitting in your picture looks different than all of those.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Could you share the part number for the hydramat you're using and what sort of fitting was on the inlet of your Walbro pump?
    All the hydramat's I've found have either a 1/2 npt, 3/8 npt, or -10AN fitting. The fitting in your picture looks different than all of those.
    Option 1: This I think would work best if you want to keep the internal pump and if you have a walbro like me it will clip right on. Its offset by 1.25in from the center so I will see how that fits when I get home.
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/16-111

Edit: I ordered option 1. I will keep my tank fuel levels where they are at(low) and install the hydramat when it arrives and see if I can make it up the hill with zero issues. Based on the youtube videos seems like the perfect fix.
    I just have the standard walbro fitting basically the filter just clips onto the end of the pump. I have a 450LPH pump.

Here is the link to what I bought: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/16-111
    Last edited by redfogo; 08-29-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just have the standard walbro fitting basically the filter just clips onto the end of the pump. I have a 450LPH pump.

Here is the link to what I bought: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/16-111
    Thanks, I must have missed that link.