BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Has anyone titled/registered a '33 hot rod in Texas in the last couple years?

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone titled/registered a '33 hot rod in Texas in the last couple years?

Hi - I'm a newbie in Austin Texas - really would like to build the 33, but have heard lots of conflicting info.

Any thoughts on how to do it? Not worried about the build - that is the easy part.
    Thanks

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a '33, but I did title and register my Roadster in 2014...do a search on my user name for lots of related posts. The bottom line is that the 33 should be very similar. What conflicting info have you been hearing?
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi thanks
    Conflicting info on whether it can be "street rod" or "classic". Neither require emissions test or equipment
    Or if you must register with actual COM (2016 in this case) and be subject to all 2016 smog rules
    Regs say contact an ASE mechanic - did that and he said in Austin there is a single person at the DPS that will inspect
    After that was told that person decides whether you smog or not. And whether you come back to DPS every year ( instead of a regular inspection place)
    Makes me want to shy away......
    Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    You are getting a lot of confusing and incorrect information from people who don't have a clue.

Start with this: it is the actual Texas Transportation Code, the section that deals with vehicle inspections. In particular, read section 548:052.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...48.htm#548.052

So...bottom line, you need a Street Rod license. You need to get all the paperwork together per the Texas Assembled Vehicle Manual, Chapter 4.3:

http://www.txdmv.gov/txdmv-forms/doc_download/3447-assembled-vehicle-manual

There is nobody in Austin who needs to weigh in in any capacity. Follow the instructions, get the ASE Master Tech to complete the Form VTR852, get your other paperwork in order, and you'll get the Street Rod license. And then you don't need any annual inspections, ever.

By the way, your title will reflect the year model as the year you complete the work. No matter, with the street rod plate you do not need the annual inspections.

(There are multiple of us who have gone through this. It works...)
    Last edited by ram_g; 08-08-2016 at 10:14 PM.
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!

Thank you...Absolutely the info I needed. Again thanks and I really appreciate your effort.

This forum is a great resource. As are you my friend.

W

Post Thanks / Like
    I am partway through the process right now. My issue is that I bought the kit used. It caused some concern that the MSO was made out to the previous owner and I had a bill of sale for the kit. We got that resolved though and I am on the way. Things that stick out in met mind were the component listing, the ASE Master Technician Safety Certification, and the form 68A which is a review by the Auto Theft Department of the Police Department to ensure no stolen parts are on the car. You would be well ahead of the power curve to ensure you have receipts for the transmission, the rear end, and the motor. The Factory Five kit contains pretty much everything else. You have some different options registering the vehicle. You can register it as an antique, custom or street Rod and you don't have to have it inspected. However, use is very limited. I was going to do that but chose the classic car registration. I will get a classic plate and pretty much be able to use the car as I want. I do have to have a state inspection but only have to meet period correct standards. Insurance was problematic. I quoted three carriers and the price varied well over 200 per year for the same levels of policy. Although they may indicate they allow racing, when the underwriters get the policy to you there will be an exclusion, at least with the three I got quotes on. Any specific questions let me know. The ladies at the court house were incredibly helpful. I felt as if they were fighting for me every step of the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got my VIN today, now get the inspection, then the license and registration