BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Couple basic questions

Post Thanks / Like

Couple basic questions

Just got the garage and storage room with shelves all ready to start a 33 hot rod. Trying to develop a somewhat solid plan before I order anything. I'm a paint/body guy so my biggest question is engine and transmission. Is there any issues with a 383 stroker, tko600 tranny combo I should know about before hand? I also downloaded and read through the installation manual. If I do just the first stage in the beginning, will it have instructions strictly for that stage, or will it be all mixed into one like the one I downloaded and will just have to sift throught it. Thanks in advance.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the 383 is a heavy breathing' 500 HP + engine you'll be choking it down with the puny 2.5" exhaust FFR provides and that's the biggest exhaust you can run under (through) the chassis. I had to build headers to dump my 3.5" exhaust out the side behind the front wheel. On the other hand, if you have a mild engine or just don't care about running a restrictive exhaust then you'll be happy with the FFR system. Other than that, my 383 SBC fits the FFR chassis and it's backed with a TKO600 that also fits.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Please remember that another issue must be addressed with your 383 SBC.
    That issue is if your engine is internally or externally balanced.
    All one (1) piece seal engines will be externally balanced along with most two (2) piece seal engines.
    Mine is a two (2) piece seal type, with all forged internals, but it is internally or neutrally balanced so I don't have a weighted harmonic balancer nor do I have a weighted flywheel.
    Please make sure that you know how your Fire Breathing Mighty Mouse is balanced before you bolt that thing in.
    Also, check out Sanderson Headers and Schoenfeld Headers just to see if you might find something that will work.
    It can't hurt.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-11-2016 at 06:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking at one of the blueprint motors 383 that they rate at 430 hp. But I will look into exhaust sizing. I wouldn't be opposed to getting a custom exhaust that dumps out the side if need be.

As far as balancing, I will have to do some reading. I know how a motor works and all the main components, but I am definitely more of a paint and body guy. When it comes to balancing, fine tuning, or alignments my knowledge is limited. But I imagine by the end of this, I will know a lot more than I do now.

Thanks for the responses

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The flywheel and balancer issue is a pretty easy thing to figure out so don't let those pieces of the puzzle discourage you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I chose 383/TKO too. Good to see others here that went that way! Good point about the exhaust - you see "you get everything but.." but of course what they supply may not be the ultimate solution. I'm planning on assembling and driving raw for a season before making changes though. It's the only way to know what needs fixing