BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vantage Design Project

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the positive comments!

I am going to post this here in this thread and the 818 Project Updates From Dave thread as well.

First let me explain how the design came about. First I worked on the side view, except the rear and front parts on the side view. Then I worked on the rear, then the front. Once I got that done when I went back to the side I never got to finish the front and rear parts on the side view to reflect the front and rear views. As I looked at the over all view the side vents (mid section on bottom and vent behind door) just didn’t flow with the front and rear views. So I didn’t have time to change the side view mid section as well. If I remember right I think at this point I was down to less then a day before the deadline.

Now with all the comments of late, I am debating if I should at least finish the coupe version. The only thing is I really don’t want to work on it if it doesn’t have any influence on the people in the community and Dave Smith and FFR. It would just be a waste of time for me.

I did for a short time a day or so ago but the front and rear views in the 818 Sample Model 4 thread just as and idea, and Dave Smith posted a few times after that, but with nothing said about the front or rear views, so I took them out, not wanting to hi-jack the thread.

So not sure what I am going to do with my design at this point.

Again thanks for all the positive comments!

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Vman your car is stunning, in particular the front and rear views.

This is definitely a HoF car and the type of design I hoped the 818 would end up as. I for one hope you make the refinements you feel it needs and Dave takes this forward and at the very least has it as one of the options. If that was the case I would have to buy two, this one and the Olmos car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just posted in the other thread. I think if the angle of the rear was a bit more vertical would be good, think of the current lambos. Something about the side isnt quite right to me. Maybe the wheels need to be closer to the corners etc, or there is too much overhang.

The area/arc just above the front area may be a bit high(maybe an inch in scale) compared to the rear. The black fill under the car is throwing me off as well.

Your front grafted on Jims design might be a winner... I think it matches Jims design pretty well as far as the shape goes. That or both the rear and front of yours on Jims car.

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been working on the side view for a few hours now, working on getting everything to flow together. I reworked the whole door/vent area. Once I get that all worked out I will get the front and rear on the side to reflect the front and rear views.

I have kind of another Idea for the headlights and front top vent to give it more of a "mean look"

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, you are an incredible artist using photoshop.

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm I the only one a little mad that he did not enter this design. I know it is your creativity but it is our hard earned money that wants the very best look that our 15K will buy. I wish I had not seen this rendering because it makes all the others look sub-par. Find a way to get this car in real form with imput from the members of this site and maybe in the future FFR will make it a Gen2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an FYI: someone early on entered a very similar but hand drawn car also influenced by the Porsche 918. It was blue, and a lot of people in the forum liked it too.

Found one of them.
    Last edited by kach22i; 10-27-2011 at 04:02 PM.
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I even confused these two at first. That blue one didn't win. So perhaps this one wouldn't have either. But I always understood Dave to have said the contest winner(s) weren't automatically what FFR would build. The contest and the 818 were seperate. Ideas and inspiriation yes, but not verbatim winner = 818.

So why can't some other contest entry (Scotty B, SW1, etc) or even a non-entry such as Vman, be what FFR builds as one of the 3 818 versions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think the demand for a build like vman's would be just too high.

Or maybe the molds would be too valuable and they would have to carry them around in an armored truck. Like Faberge' Eggs. Too much risk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
    Just an FYI: someone early on entered a very similar but hand drawn car also influenced by the Porsche 918. It was blue, and a lot of people in the forum liked it too.

Found one of them.
    I actually like this one a little more because of the clean side scoop design, but alas, I don't think FFR will build it, or anything that pays homage to Porsche (or any other make for that matter) for the 818. They want it to be there own design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that is a very clean side view between the wheels. It also looks great despite not having a scoop on every available surface.

I agree we don't want to look like we ripped off someone elses car (it doesn't help that its currently called the 818), but these two sure have the HoF going on.

How much of the magic of these two is because they look like the 918, and how much is inherent in their design?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    Yes, that is a very clean side view between the wheels. It also looks great despite not having a scoop on every available surface.

I agree we don't want to look like we ripped off someone elses car (it doesn't help that its currently called the 818), but these two sure have the HoF going on.

How much of the magic of these two is because they look like the 918, and how much is inherent in their design?
    honestly, before this contest started I didn't know what a 918 looked like, and had to Google it after someone mentioned similarities between it and some of the submissions...so I would have to say the sexy look is inherent to the swoopy and muscular design

ETA: Vman has posted in another thread that he has reworked the side of his car..haven't seen any pics of it yet though. But if his nose/targa rear were put with the side design of this one it would be very HoF time
    Last edited by crackedcornish; 10-27-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am working on it as fast as I can.....lol. I Think people might just like what I come up with, at least I hope so

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post
    I am working on it as fast as I can.....lol. I Think people might just like what I come up with, at least I hope so

David
    as long as you're reworking the side can we please get a design that doesn't have the rear end sitting higher than the front? I don't care for the jacked up/wedge drag funny car look and like a car that looks like it's sitting level. I like the front and rear fenders to have the same amount of distance between the top of the fender and the top of the wheel arch.

Post Thanks / Like
    V - don't listen to crackedcornish! Your design could easily give Xabier a run for his money as is. Thankfully, it's not in the same category as O's or I might be torn between the two.

Post Thanks / Like

Found one of them.
    That's a great looking car. I would build that for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
    can we please get a design that doesn't have the rear end sitting higher than the front? I don't care for the jacked up/wedge drag funny car look and like a car that looks like it's sitting level.

So youre saying that the 458 Italia/Lamborghini Merc and Mclaren F1 all have a jacked up/wedge drag funny car look? ferrari-458-italia-8.jpg 2008-IMSA-Lamborghini-Murcielago-GTR-Front-And-Side-Closeup-1-1024x768.jpgmclarenf1side.jpg

Its actually because these 818 designers have drawn some of their cues from the super car heavy hitters.
    Its a classic 'super car/sports' look and all the winning entries in some way incorporated it (including Jims design).

I am keen to see what comes of v-mans reworkings.
    I feel however this is all a little bit "to little to late".
    The other cars are 10 steps ahead at least having been highly discussed, won the competition, been scaled, moulded and built (one by hand!). They are now being detailed judged and shown at Sema. The final tweaks before production.

Still show us what you got V-man! Love what you have done so far!
    Last edited by Flamshackle; 10-27-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamshackle View Post
    I feel however this is all to little to late. The other cars are 10 steps ahead having been highly discussed, won the competition, been modeled and scaled and built some by hand! They are now being judged and shown and having final tweeks before production so really this whole discussion is a bit of a red herring.
    Thankfully, Dave promised us more than one body style. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, either. But with a big enough fan base, it could happen.

Post Thanks / Like

So youre saying that the 458 Italia/Lamborghini Merc and Mclaren F1 all have a jacked up/wedge drag funny car look? ferrari-458-italia-8.jpg 2008-IMSA-Lamborghini-Murcielago-GTR-Front-And-Side-Closeup-1-1024x768.jpgmclarenf1side.jpg

Its actually because these 818 designers have drawn some of their cues from the super car heavy hitters.
    Its a classic 'super car/sports' look and all the winning entries in some way incorporated it (including Jims design).

The other cars are 10 steps ahead at least having been highly discussed, won the competition, been scaled, moulded and built (one by hand!). They are now being detailed judged and shown at Sema. The final tweaks before production.

the silver one is not bad but it would look better to me if the rear was a touch lower...I just don't like the other two

as much as I would like to put the 818 in the same league as these cars you mentioned, it just ain't gonna' happen. those cars have much larger power trains that need the height, and top speeds that need the body to be shaped for down force to be stable at those obtainable speeds....neither of which the 818 will have or need

and since you think this is just a styling exercise what harm will it do? I'm not suggesting we change a car that's in production...as this is still just a drawing.

I unfortunately feel that FFR won't build it (no matter how sexy it is) just because it is heavily influenced by a Porsche design...(I hope I'm wrong on this!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VTX View Post
    That's a great looking car. I would build that for sure.
    This one looks like a cross between the 918 and the new chargers (Taillights) I think it looks really nice though. I know I would build that. I personally think this is the nicest design that I have seen so far

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
    I actually like this one a little more because of the clean side scoop design, but alas, I don't think FFR will build it, or anything that pays homage to Porsche (or any other make for that matter) for the 818. They want it to be there own design.
    I like it very much as well. I like the side of that one much better

Post Thanks / Like
    I really wish people wouldn't hi-jack this thread, it makes it confusing for people to stay on what the thread is about. Talking about the Halcyon 918 look alike (the light blue one).

When I get to a "sneak peek" side view, I will show it with the 918, and you will see the difference.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Love this car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post
    I really wish people wouldn't hi-jack this thread, it makes it confusing for people to stay on what the thread is about. Talking about the Halcyon 918 look alike (the light blue one).

When I get to a "sneak peek" side view, I will show it with the 918, and you will see the difference.

David
    Sorry, I did that..............thought it was on topic at the time.
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I did that..............thought it was on topic at the time.
    No problem, I now how at times we can get caught up in our enthusiasm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok here is a mock up of the new Headlights, to give it more of a "mean" look.

Attachment 5614

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the new Vantage side view (center one), this is just a "mock up". There is still a bunch of shading etc. to do on it.

Attachment 5623

Here is the rear view again (coupe version)

Post Thanks / Like
    I absolutely love the coupe.
    Weekends/track days
    1997 Camaro SS 380 rwhp/380 rwtq
    LT1 Stroked to 396. C5 brakes, suspension work, racing seats, roll bar
    Daily driver
    1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke 300 rwhp/600 rwtq
    Custom intake, 4" exhaust, 80 hp DP Tuner PCM tuning 20 MPG highway!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you're really hurting your case visually with that wheel tire combination. A low profile tire and larger rim would look much better and be very easy to do.
    On the other hand, I definitely respect your adherence to the template.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by olpro View Post
    I think you're really hurting your case visually with that wheel tire combination. A low profile tire and larger rim would look much better and be very easy to do.
    On the other hand, I definitely respect your adherence to the template.
    I am not real happy with that tire/wheel combo either, it was more of a last minute thing during the contest. I might just change them to something better.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, that has my hair (what little is left) all ablaze. Its just amazing. The changes to the side view results in something that has retro touches, yet is still very modern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Awesome!! Hair is ablaze!

Post Thanks / Like
    Superb...........a real shame you didn't meet the deadline.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow thats even better... hair is already burnt off from the original pics though

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed... The car must have some rake to look correct. You gave some perfect examples. David

Post Thanks / Like
    New design (side). Is much much better! Nice job man!

No reason that FFR couldn't use this... If you could get it I'm 3d it would be much easier!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't change the wheel setup. It'll give a true representation of what donor wheels will look like with the higher sidewall. Yes, low profile will look better, but I would keep it as real as possible. I really like how this has come together.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd buy one in a New York minute! Outstanding!!! ... love the coupe ...
    If at first you don't succeed ... get a bigger hammer.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I do like this car a lot. Unfortunately we're just pissing up a rope here. The rules of the contest were established and it is now over. It would be unfair to select a "new" winner. Each of the four designs currently in the running represent a significant investment by FFR.

But Vantage 818 is the most mature of all of the submissions.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast