Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello, from Wisconsin.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, from Wisconsin.

Hello, from Wisconsin. I just saw a show on Speed Vision about these cars. I have just three words: Wow, Wow and Wow! I've always been interested in kit cars, but never had the time or money for one. I recently have been back in the market and remember the old Ultima kit car from England. But this GTM is more my style and it looks like you can actually drive it on the street (Wisconsin roads can be kind of bumpy).

I like the attitude of this company too. The President seems to think the way I do.

Thanks in advance for all your good advice!
    John

Gas Fume Philosopher AJ Roadster NJ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness, Gordon! I'm a transplanted Golden Gopher, now living in Joisey.

You've hit the slippery slope. There's no turning back now. You can't unsee what you've seen. You're on the way.

One thing I recommend is read, read, read, and read some more. Keep up with this forum. Call FFR and get the free DVD, you will watch it repeatedly and then you'll show it to your friends because it so cool. Planning exactly what you want to do with a build goes a long way towards making it enjoyable and rewarding.

Are you thinking Blizzaks for tires? (Hah. That was a joke.)

AJ

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

There are quite a few Badger State builds going on, so watch-out for offers to go for rides. I'm a FIB, just south of Lake Geneva, but you're welcome to make the trek down to IL if you want to see a Mk3.1 roadster under construction.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    John, I am from Wis also and just caught theFFR bug. I had my wife sit and watch Speedmakers the other day to see what she got me into. Yes, she got me into this!! Where are you from in Wis? I would like to see some other cars being built. I am going to build school in August. Meenwhile i am planning my coupe build. Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Roadster NJ View Post
    Welcome to the madness, Gordon! I'm a transplanted Golden Gopher, now living in Joisey.

You've hit the slippery slope. There's no turning back now. You can't unsee what you've seen. You're on the way.

One thing I recommend is read, read, read, and read some more. Keep up with this forum. Call FFR and get the free DVD, you will watch it repeatedly and then you'll show it to your friends because it so cool. Planning exactly what you want to do with a build goes a long way towards making it enjoyable and rewarding.

Are you thinking Blizzaks for tires? (Hah. That was a joke.)

AJ
    Ya hay der. Hmm...that must make for an interesting accent.
    Well, I did drive a TransAM for 16 winters and used Blizzaks. (That was NOT a joke). But that was just a TransAM. Every few years when I would get new snows on it, it was rather impressive in the snow. I quite enjoyed passing SUVs and FWD cars in the snow. The best schadenfreude moments were passing trucks stuck in the ditch, I'm kind of a mean person.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    John,

There are quite a few Badger State builds going on, so watch-out for offers to go for rides. I'm a FIB, just south of Lake Geneva, but you're welcome to make the trek down to IL if you want to see a Mk3.1 roadster under construction.
    Yea, that's the last thing I need is a "ride" in one. That would pretty much clinch the deal. You know we only use the term FIB because we're jealous that you guys have all the money, but we have alot of cows though, so I suppose it evens out...wait...how is that even!

Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    Welcome!
    Thanks, I went to AMI in Daytona Beach way back in the day. That was an interesting experience for an 18 yo Wisconsin kid.

Quote Originally Posted by caguci View Post
    John, I am from Wis also and just caught theFFR bug. I had my wife sit and watch Speedmakers the other day to see what she got me into. Yes, she got me into this!! Where are you from in Wis? I would like to see some other cars being built. I am going to build school in August. Meenwhile i am planning my coupe build. Jim
    I'm in the driftless area. I know an engine guy in Madison that has a customer with an FFR car. I might be able to use some of his space as I don't really have a place to build a car at the moment.

I was thinking about going to Cananada for the F1 race and now I see that FFR is having an annual get together that Saturday. My passport expired though, so I'm not sure that will happen. I suppose I could get a new one on the way through Chicago.

A friend of mine has a Supra Turbo that has around 600hp. He gave me a ride in that, and I swear it was almost as fast as my CBR900RR. The only thing with that car was that it was very hard to launch.

Somebody will probably slap me for saying this, but most of the videos I've seen of the GTM are super awesome, but I'm not thrilled with the "truck" sounding exhaust. Granted most of them did not have mufflers from what I could see. Are there any motors that would produce a more "exotic" exhaust note?

I have this silly idea that involves 3 Kawasaki ZX-10R motors (200hp each stock). Graft them together to make a 12 cylinder, then add some turbos. No, really!

Night
    Last edited by GordonFreeman; 06-08-2011 at 02:02 AM.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    On Wisconsin! Class of 1986 Univ of Wisconsin, Madison.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Huh, small world. You beat me by a few years, I didn't go until I was a little older, Graduated in 1998 (ME). You should see the joint now, they've put up some nice engineering buildings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I'm in Ohio, should be to Mass tomorrow (Friday)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gordon, If you get in early, swing by to say hello. The crew will be busy all day with set-up, you'll probably end up getting recruited for set-up work!
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    See you in 1:24:10.04928.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have just three words: That Was Cool!

And you're very inspiring Dave. You said a lot of stuff I was thinking. In particular I liked the comment about "smart" cars. What were they "thinking" on that one? I really liked the blacksmith story too.

I managed about 30MPG with the 360HP Hemi back to the catskills. Not bad for a 4000lb sedan. I can't wait to get double that in your Supercar.

Sorry I didn't speak to any of you guys, I like listening.

Go Science!

PS. I'm totally jealous of the West Philly High School guys. We didn't get to build Supercars back when I was in high school.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Cant believe I didnt connect your name/face!!!! Argh! It was a fun event despite the weather. Yeah, I know what you mean, I was making key-fobs in HS shop, not 103 mpg green-grand prix-winning supercars... Kids have alot more resources than we had growing up, but in that school they match it with stoke and hard work... Nice to see. You are always welcome here.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I just ordered a GTM manual and poster, I guess that's it.