Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Russell Pro-classic Black Fuel Lines

Post Thanks / Like

Russell Pro-classic Black Fuel Lines

Guys,

i have been researching various fuel line installations, for example FFR supplied teflon coated hard lines with EFI hose and SS braided hose with AN fittings. I finally came to the conclusion to use the FFR supplied hard lines and hose until I called FFR. Much to my surprise FFR recommended using Russell Pro-classic black nylon hose for the entire fuel line installation for an easy installation. They further added that many builders are doing this. Has anyone done this? And is black nylon hose better than SS braise hose.

Regards,

Damien, aka 4.6 litre

Post Thanks / Like
    Might want to consider 3/8" lines if you're running EFI. The FFR-supplied 5/16" lines could be a bit undersized depending on what volume you need to support your horsepower requirements. I also considered running flexible hose for the entire system but in the end decided I'd be better served to use hard tubing along the somewhat exposed chassis rails. A hand-held tubing bender plus Eastwood flare tool handled the 3/8 stainless tubing with no problem at all. For the connections at the ends (to the fuel filter/fuel tank/fuel rails) I went with custom length Teflon-lined braided stainless lines with AN fittings. Reasonably happy with how the overall installation turned out.

So my answer would be that you probably want to use a combination of both hard line and flex line, and try to keep the flex sections relatively short and in protected locations.

Last edited by karlos; 08-19-2016 at 11:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Karlos,

Thanks for the response. I'm coming to the conclusion that the FFR rep misspoke when he said that the Pro-classic could be used throughout the car, especially in unprotected areas. The other interesting fact is that every time I have seem someone raise the idea of using nylon braided hose there has been little or no discussion of it, that aroused my curiosity.

Thanks for the photographs, nice build.

Damien

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like the recommendation was made based on ease of installation. Running flex line throughout the whole system will definitely simplify the installation. Durability is another matter. Another thing to think about with the nylon overbraided hose is that it typically has some sort of synthetic rubber core which may or may not be fuel compatible, especially in the long term. Teflon is compatible with any fluid you can put in a car, so it's nearly always a good choice. However, I don't think I've ever seen nylon overbraided hose with a Teflon liner.

According to Summit's website the Russell ProClassic II hose is listed as fuel compatible, so it would be a safe choice. Pricey, though, at about $6 a foot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Karlos
    great job on those lines.
    I no longer use the black braided hose on my builds.
    one time I installed them and The shop always smelled like raw fuel.
    after much research I found out that some rubber lined braided hoses let fumes through, even though they do not leak.
    crazy huh.
    now I run -6 PTFE Hose stainless made by Aeroquip it is impervious to todays modern fuels, tuff as nails
    very easy to assemble ( no special tools needed ), can also be used for the power steering hoses high pressure , and quick to install. Most of the builds I do use after market pumps & filters so getting them in -6AN is easier
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure if it still is true but it used to be that sanctioning race bodies tech rules would not allow the entire car to be plumbed with any type flex hose. In fact I believe that the max length was 18" and could not be run anywhere near the bell housing even if using a scattershield.

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys,

I just talked to Mike Forte about fuel lines and I mentioned to him that FFR had recommended using nylon fiber braided hose fuels lines. He told me that currently he has a mod that provides a regulator/filter (in place of the FFR provided filter) and runs a 14 inch nylon braided supply and return line between the regulator/ filler and the in-tank fuel pump. Then he supplies a nylon fiber supply line running from the regulator/filter to the engine compartment. This package costs about $110. At least that is what I took away from the conversation. If interested in the mod, one should verify it themselves.

Since I have a coyote engine, I'm running a 3/8" supply line. Mike's mod might be easier and more cost effective than running SS hard lines or SS braid. I like Mike's idea but I'm still mulling over it, any comment?

Thanks,
    Damien