FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine cover for "R" - roll bar channel?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine cover for "R" - roll bar channel?

I'm making an "R" rollbar for my "S" and I know I need to cut a channel in the engine cover for the rear brace of the roll bar to go through. What I'm confused about is that the pics on FFR's website of the R show a carbon fiber cover on the channel. But it's riveted in place. Is that really to say the engine cover on the R is not removable without drilling all the rivets out?? If you don't have that carbon fiber cover, how do does the engine cover get support, since the humps won't be attached to the side of the side sail. I guess just the hump block-off plates?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hindsight
    I added an additional hood pin right in the middle of the two humps. About 6" back from the firewall.
    The carbon piece on the 818R is U shaped so they can still remove the engine cover. The carbon reinforces the humps so you don't get stress cracks.
    My bar is not the same as an 818r, so my cut is different.

Attached Images Attached Images
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob, very helpful. I will do the same with the center hood pin... though maybe use a hood latch. How high is the top of your roll bar from the top of the frame? My new one is about 18" vs the "S" model which was 13".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Thanks Bob, very helpful. I will do the same with the center hood pin... though maybe use a hood latch. How high is the top of your roll bar from the top of the frame? My new one is about 18" vs the "S" model which was 13".
    I'm about the same. 18" to center of top cross bar.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine cover LS 2.JPGengine cover LS.JPGrear deck install 1.JPGrear deck install.JPG
    I cut the side sail at the roll bar just behind the brace and bolted it in place so it is fixed but removable. Like bob I have quick release fastener between the humps at the front of the engine cover and side sail and engine cover.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 08-23-2016 at 07:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    Engine cover LS 2.JPGengine cover LS.JPGrear deck install 1.JPGrear deck install.JPG
    I cut the side sail at the roll bar just behind the brace and bolted it in place so it is fixed but removable. Like bob I have quick release fastener between the humps at the front of the engine cover and side sail and engine cover.
    If I had a do over, I would use Mitch's method, except I wouldn't have a gap between the 3 panels.
    Any of you 818c conversion guys want to get rid of the engine hump panel.
    Bob

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea Mitch! Does that work with the hinges, do you know? Looks like himps might hit the rear brace?

I am thinking about welding my rear support bar slightly outside of where FFR welds theirs. They put it on a gusset but I was going to put mine directly centered over the 2" square tube where it ends at the cross frame brace. This would make the rear brace go straight back instead of back and inward which may reduce how much engine cover I have to cut. Any opinions on that, from a strength standpoint? Seems ok to me....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I believe my cover would work just fine with hinges.
    I do have a template made for a filler plate for the opening between the side sails and the main engine cover that will be part of the side sail and not interfere engine cover removal. That is at the beginning of things to do once the car spends some time on track.

Will have to look at my chassis to have an opinion on rear brace attachment points.