Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Upgraded clutch cable... Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Upgraded clutch cable... Any suggestions?

Hey guys i am looking to upgrade my clutch cable due to the proximity of my headers. The cable that came with the kit has a very thin sheath and doesn't look like it can hold up to high temps in the engine compartment. Any suggestions on where i can get a better one?

Thanks

HB Ryan
    MKIV Roadster #8862
    Order Date- 4/4/16
    Delivery Date- 4/30/16
    Completion 1/15/17

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered the Ford Motorsport version from Summit - it comes with both a fixed and an adjustable end for down at the clutch fork. I did a couple other things to make it work better and last longer - a) reversed the metal bracket on it and bolted that to the 4" round chassis tube; and b) added a heat sleeve from the firewall down for about the first foot or so.

Here's a pic showing the difference between an aftermarket (top) and a Ford cable (bottom) - note the sheathing differences. One added benefit when I went from an aftermarket to the Ford part was that clutch action is way smoother.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome thanks!
    MKIV Roadster #8862
    Order Date- 4/4/16
    Delivery Date- 4/30/16
    Completion 1/15/17

Post Thanks / Like
    MKIV Roadster #8862
    Order Date- 4/4/16
    Delivery Date- 4/30/16
    Completion 1/15/17

Post Thanks / Like
    That one or BBK's. Both quality parts...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HB_Ryan View Post
    That one is for the mod motor - if you have a 302 / 5.0, then you would want this one - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...rd?prefilter=1

These both are the ones with the adjustable end, which is my preference as I found the ones with the fixed end to be too short for my application.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My issue with the clutch cable is length. I have the new version W/O the adjuster at the footbox. I also have Hydroboost installed which has limited the path the cable takes to the tranny. Is there one available that is longer? Right now it would have to go through the motor-mount which I don't like.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have the same Ford Performance cable for my Coyote. Cooked the cable that came with the kit when it made contact with headers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hit the link Gumball listed and added it to my Summit wish list for when I do my next order. Then I found I have a similar number already saved. Gumball's is a C302 listed as a 'Clutch Cable, Adjustable, Ford, Mercury, 5.0L, Kit'. The one I already had is an E302 listed as a 'Clutch Cable, Adjustable, Ford, Bullitt, Cobra, GT, Mach 1,'. Any idea which is the better one, they are both the same price.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Upgraded cables or not, I love this stuff for covering cables, plug wires, etc anywhere near heat

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3299

3299.JPG

Thermotec do some similar stuff too: http://www.thermotec.com/products/heat-sleeves.html
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, mine snapped on Saturday. I have one of the E302 I mentioned above on it's way.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    The adjustable cables are junk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    The adjustable cables are junk.
    Well that's helpful....................why are they junk?

Post Thanks / Like
    They tend to fail more often than the non-adjustable. I don't think they are same quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I guess I will find out. Just installed my E302 cable.
    Jfernan- the E302 is about 13 inches longer than the one I removed. I bought the old one about 6 years ago from Breeze but don't have a number available for you. One thing I did find out is that the adjuster at the clutch end is much less useful than I had thought. I have one of the OE stamped metal covers over the cable/throwout lever. When I essentially shortened the cable by adjusting the nut, then the excess threaded rod was too long to fit inside the cover. I ended up cutting about 1 1/4 inches of threads off. That still leaves about an inch of adjustment available. In the end though it is better than before because I used to have the firewall adjuster backed way out to get the pedal correct. Now the firewall adjuster is in the middle of it's range.