Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Headers help/advice please

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Headers help/advice please

Hi,
    i am building a MK4 with a 302, FFR mention to get "Shortie" headers, but little more, called Summit Racing and they where looking for the "right" ones,
    but didn't have enough info on their side, so advice me to call FFR...... can you guys share your personal opinion here?
    Much appreciate it

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a summit part number, BBK-1515. They fit well.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Michael - I just happen to have a set of the same headers mentioned above. I pulled them from my 87 donor, had them sand blasted, and powder coated black. Not sure what it would cost to ship them to the west coast from PA but your certainly welcome to them. You would just need a set of header gaskets and mounting bolts. I was going to use them but opted for the headers factory five sells instead. The shorty's need to be mounted in reverse with a J-pipe hookup to the side pipes.

if your interested, shoot me a PM.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    Here is a summit part number, BBK-1515. They fit well.
    Not to hijack this thread but will those headers work on a 1994 donor motor? Shouldnt be any different but Summit description says up to 1993
    Last edited by Jstanding; 08-23-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think those headers will fit a 94. I know for certain the upper intake changed in 94 and so did how the front accessories mount but I'm not 100% positive the heads are the same. If you look up the part up on Summit, you will find it only fits the GT, LX, SVT Cobra 302 from years 86 to 93.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    I don't think those headers will fit a 94. I know for certain the upper intake changed in 94 and so did how the front accessories mount but I'm not 100% positive the heads are the same. If you look up the part up on Summit, you will find it only fits the GT, LX, SVT Cobra 302 from years 86 to 93.
    Not sure where the difference lies between the 86-93 and the 94-95. Block and heads should be the same. So the geometry should be the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are the same, except that 94-95 had a threaded EGR tube fitting on them, the earlier ones did not. I had both and sold the later models to get a set of the BBK-1515.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Summit is saying they don't they fit the 94/95 body style. If I remember correctly the exhaust manifolds, H pipe, intake manifold, and front accessory section changed with the sn95. Don't think the heads and block are different.

I think the shorty headers for the 87-93 should work fine on a 94-95 engine when it is installed in a roadster.

Standing by to be proven wrong

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    94-95 had the EGR tube, if you dont have the tube, as in using a 94-95 stock efi intake, the the 87-93 style works, it would be a pain to try to plug the fitting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know why FFR suggested shorty headers as most builders using the Ford 302 will use the larger headers supplied by FFR.

I, however, used them in order to enlarge my footboxes to their maximum. The original footboxes are designed to allow the fit of the new Ford Coyote engine which is a very wide engine. I chose the Ford 302 with the shorty headers to keep the engine as narrow as possible. This allowed for a great increase in the passenger footbox which, in my opinion, is originally too narrow for long rides in the roadster. There are many who do not agree with me though. I wanted to make it as comfortable for my wife or other passenger as possible. With the engine I'm now building I will have approximately 350 HP which I believe is a good choice for these cars.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    The only difference between pre 94 and 94/95 headers is the 94/95's have a fitting for a heat stove. Really not needed in the FFR
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    Hi Michael - I just happen to have a set of the same headers mentioned above. I pulled them from my 87 donor, had them sand blasted, and powder coated black. Not sure what it would cost to ship them to the west coast from PA but your certainly welcome to them. You would just need a set of header gaskets and mounting bolts. I was going to use them but opted for the headers factory five sells instead. The shorty's need to be mounted in reverse with a J-pipe hookup to the side pipes.

if your interested, shoot me a PM.

Rick
    Hey Rick,
    Thank you very much!!!

got very stuck/busy at my job for the last couple of weeks so didn't do a follow up here, i am terribly sorry, thank you for the generous offer
    because i didn't see your post before i got ordered some from cj pony parts. Still waiting for them though...

But again, Thanks!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GWL View Post
    Don't know why FFR suggested shorty headers as most builders using the Ford 302 will use the larger headers supplied by FFR.

I, however, used them in order to enlarge my footboxes to their maximum. The original footboxes are designed to allow the fit of the new Ford Coyote engine which is a very wide engine. I chose the Ford 302 with the shorty headers to keep the engine as narrow as possible. This allowed for a great increase in the passenger footbox which, in my opinion, is originally too narrow for long rides in the roadster. There are many who do not agree with me though. I wanted to make it as comfortable for my wife or other passenger as possible. With the engine I'm now building I will have approximately 350 HP which I believe is a good choice for these cars.

George
    Reason for the "Shorties" is because i am using fuel injection system, and i need an oxygen sensor, in the larger ones, there is no way (without lots of mod) to get the sensor installed.

have a great day!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read on several forums that the BBK shorties require grinding on the inside where they were welded. Has anyone here run into this?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael pavon View Post
    Reason for the "Shorties" is because i am using fuel injection system, and i need an oxygen sensor, in the larger ones, there is no way (without lots of mod) to get the sensor installed.

It's actually very simple Michael; just add a sensor bung to the sidepipe collector as shown here:

But it sounds like you are already committed to the J-pipe setup so carry on and good luck!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael pavon View Post
    Hey Rick,
    Thank you very much!!!

got very stuck/busy at my job for the last couple of weeks so didn't do a follow up here, i am terribly sorry, thank you for the generous offer
    because i didn't see your post before i got ordered some from cj pony parts. Still waiting for them though...

But again, Thanks!

Mike
    No worries Mike, just looking to pay it forward as I don't have a use for them, and it's more of a hassle to sell them than give them to someone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    It's actually very simple Michael; just add a sensor bung to the sidepipe collector as shown here:

But it sounds like you are already committed to the J-pipe setup so carry on and good luck!

Jeff
    I actually was about to do that but I didn't proceed because I was a little bit afraid that in certain situations with the water splashing into the sensor could have some wrong reading or even an spoil sensor