FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: couple of quick build questions

Post Thanks / Like

couple of quick build questions

I'm slowly progressing on my 818s build. Couple of questions. First, I've disassembled both axles and am about to reassemble with the FFR supplied axle. Inner boots were toast and when removing them all the grease flowed out. No problem as my new boot kits came with grease packets. On the rear outer hubs, the grease stayed inside with the bearing hub. Should I just reuse the grease or try and clean it out and use new? Seems difficult to get it out without damaging the ball bearing socket. Hope this makes sense.

Secondly, the brackets for my rear sway bar (06 WRX) do not mount flat to the frame. I bent them a bit, and I want to verify that bending the tabs where the bolts go through is the correct way to make them fit.

Build is going well, even though I've caught a bunch of mistakes that I have had to redo. Should be picking up my rebuilt engine in a week, so I want to get the front suspension buttoned down and the axles ready.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tgf05354 View Post
    Secondly, the brackets for my rear sway bar (06 WRX) do not mount flat to the frame. I bent them a bit, and I want to verify that bending the tabs where the bolts go through is the correct way to make them fit.
    Yeah, common problem, just get these instead; they're the right size for the stock (17mm) bar:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    On an 06 WRX, the rear hub bearings are generally treated as a complete unit. When you buy a new hub bearing, it comes with a race and two taper bearings that sit inside it. You can't remove the bearing without removing the hub, and removing the hub will destroy the bearing. So I'm not 100% certain we are talking about the same thing? Maybe you just pulled the inner wheel bearing seal and saw some grease in there? If so, I'd just leave it alone and install a new seal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link to the bushings and brackets.
    Knew I would mess up my terminology. I think I meant the rear CV, not the bearing hub. Where the axle shaft get s inserted. Should that be regreased?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can, but the only purpose would be to help prevent it from rusting. It needs no lubrication.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Re-grease the best you can, but don't kill yourself if you don't have the means to get everything spotless before putting in new grease. The boots are pretty much impossible to clean out anyway. I had mine turned completely inside out in a parts washing tank and still couldn't get everything.

As far as the front inner and the liquid/trashed boots that's incredibly common on imprezas due to their proximity to the exhaust in the OEM setup. At least when the boots do give up you get a nice burning grease smell to let you know it's time for a new halfshaft.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hindsight I believe he's talking about the two ends of the halfshaft - the inner tripod and outer CV.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bent my donor's sway bar brackets and they fit pretty well.

IMG_7120.JPG
    Last edited by ben1272; 08-23-2016 at 09:07 PM.