BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: AOD Trans. Coolant lines

Post Thanks / Like

AOD Trans. Coolant lines

Has anyone installed an AOD (Ford automatic trans. ) in a MKIV Roadster? If so, how were you able to fit the coolant lines in the space between the connection points on the Trans housing and the inner surface of the pass footbox? I only have at the most a 2 1/8" space between the outlet boss on the trans and the inside foot panel. The fitting that screws into the trans housing is a straight nps 1/2" X20 to 5/16" inverted flare (must use straight thread or the trans housing will crack). I'm trying to use a -6AN line fitting brazed to a short (very short) 5/16" steel line, which is bent to a 45deg angle which in turn is fitted to a shortened 5/16" fitting for insertion into the 5/16" inverted flare fitting. The available space as I saidfor this is 2 1/8". My contraption still does not allow enough space to connect the top (outlet) line to the female -6AN running to the trans cooler. About the only option remaining is to cut a clearance hole in the passenger foot box. But I really don't want to do that.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    What about a Banjo bolt? Would that flow enough?
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    o-ring 90* fitting. They are called ORB fittings. http://www.jegs.com/i/Earl's/361/AT9...whUaAlXh8P8HAQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link to Earls. Only see NPT threads on ORB's listed. The AOD needs a 1/2 X 20 NPS (straight thread). If I use a tapered NPT I run the risk of cracking the housing. I just can't seem to find the fitting like you linked me to in straight thread. :-(

Post Thanks / Like
    The fitting in the link is a straight thread. Im sure all ORB are straight threaded, not tapered, that why they have an o-ring.
    That link should go straight to Jegs site, click to buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rich,
    Good point on the thread being straight since it's an ORB. Thanks for the info, think I have the solution to my issue now!
    Have a great day

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I need to order some fittings, I used NPT on mine. So...just to be clear, the metal fitting between the lines and trans are straight thread?

Last edited by 6t8dart; 08-25-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I re-used the lines from my donor. There was plenty of clearance between the lines and tunnel aluminum, but I wanted to be able to access the fittings, so I cut a hole and installed rivnuts to hold the cover panel.

-Kyle

20160825_181708.jpg20160825_181729.jpg20160825_181841.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    On an AOD the fitting that screws into the trans housing is a 1/2" X 20 (threads per inch) NPS ("S") designates straight pipe thread. NPT ("T") is for National Pipe Tapered thread. The female side of the fitting is 5/16" inverted flare. The tubing connects to the female side fitting by means of a 5/16" NPT.
    The trick is to make the turn from the top connection (this is the hot coolant outlet) for its trip forward to your cooler. I have not got this worked out fully yet. It is impossible to make a tight enough bend in 5/16" steel tubing and still get the 5/16" fitting with a double flare physically made. I have made a number of custom set ups with little success. I may have to find a donor tubing run and just use the transmission end or figure out a way to use a boss adapter and do away with the 1/2 X20, 5/16 inverted flare boss.
    Stay tuned...

Post Thanks / Like
    Kyle,
    How did you get such a tight 90deg turn on your lines? Or did they come that way from your donor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Use your thumb to roll them over. It's the best way to get tight bends.
    Give me a call sometime, I have all kinds of advise and mods that need to be done when using an aod.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BobCarter View Post
    Kyle,
    How did you get such a tight 90deg turn on your lines? Or did they come that way from your donor?
    Bob,
    That's just the way my donor lines were run. I didn't see any reason to mess with it until up in front of the oil pan. Then I had to cut it, flare it, couple it, and extend it to my mustang replacement radiator with integral cooler. I didn't make any changes to these trans cooler lines, but I learned a thing or two doing my brake lines, and Gordon is right. If you want a tight bend without a kink, you roll it over your thumb with the rest of your hand...

-Kyle

Edit: If you end up working with fresh line, start at the trans end and make the flare. Then hold the flare nut with a crescent wrench or vice while you make the critical bend.
    Last edited by kgkeys; 08-26-2016 at 12:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had used two NPT to -6 fittings, then I ran AN-6 braided all the way to the trans cooler and back. I removed them from the trans last night, no cracks, so I got lucky. I never solved the problem of the top 90 AN hose end hitting the trans tunnel. I was going to install an NPT 90 deg elbow, but now that I know its a straight fitting, I am just going to order the right ones from Summit today.

Not at the trans, but here is a pic at the cooler, just for the hell of it.
    IMG_3336.JPG