BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel System Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel System Questions

I will be using a 289 with a carburetor and mechanical fuel pump in my FIA build. I didn't think that I needed to run a return line, is this a valid assumption? Also, I installed the kit supplied fuel pickup in the tank, but this is designed for a fuel injected setup correct? Do I need to switch over to something else, or can I just use the existing pickup and cap the return?

Chris
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Return systems are superior to non-return, so the question is how authentic do want your build to be? As long as your mechanical pump is designed for a no return system, you can use the existing pickup and cap the return, just make sure and keep the fuel line away from heat sources.

If I were doing a authentic looking build I would gut the mechanical (but keep it), use a low pressure electric at the tank, and put a return style regulator just out of sight near the motor. Best of both worlds, authentic looks and modern reliability.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    On the other hand I have 38000 miles on mine w/ an old school mechanical pump. Never a single problem.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    The fuel pickup supplied with the tank from Factory Five can be used in a non-EFI setup. You can use it for your carb'd setup. In addition to the pickup tube, there is a return tube. But it should be either pinched shut or capped. The OE pickup for an EFI setup includes an electric fuel pump. Unless you think it's possible in the future you may switch to EFI, IMO there's no reason to install a return line. Assuming your engine has the right timing cover with a mounting point for a mechanical fuel pump plus the eccentric installed on the end of the cam, I would install a mechanical pump. They're simple and reliable and only require a single feed line. Worked for decades for a reason. The industry changed to electric pumps, higher pressures, return lines, etc. with the advent of EFI. It that's not in your future, keep it simple. Two builds to date with carbs and mechanical fuel pumps. > 12K miles now between the two. Zero issues.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-26-2016 at 09:10 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Edwardb. I didn't feel comfortable capping shut the return line on my carbed/mechanical fuel pump 427 build though so got the single fuel tube pickup from breeze. A little pricey but gives some peace of mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input. This was one of those second guessing, "oh crap" moments. Now that all the aluminum is on I started thinking about having to go in and change everything out.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Another carb'd FFR here - using the Breeze pickup and a mechanical pump. Remember to watch out for the pressure at the carb - e.g., a Holley only needs 4 - 6 PSI - and an electric pump may need a regulator.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a SBF with a carb and mechanical pump. The pump had to have a regulator installed to get the pressure down to ~5-6psi. Works fine. I can't see any reason to change over to an electric pump and all the required extra plumbing and wiring, relays, etc. Adds too many complicating issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no issue with capping the return. It is just a tube in the pickup with no pressure. It DOES need to be capped in case of a rollover. There is also a vent in the tank, but is has a check valve for roll bar testing.

Don't worry if you need to pull the tank. I timed it once........12 minutes, not counting jacking the car up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue MK3 View Post
    I have a SBF with a carb and mechanical pump. The pump had to have a regulator installed to get the pressure down to ~5-6psi. Works fine. I can't see any reason to change over to an electric pump and all the required extra plumbing and wiring, relays, etc. Adds too many complicating issues.
    Do you have any pictures of your setup? I am looking to do the same thing for the same reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here are the Breeze stainless steel fuel pickups for use in carbureted applications:
    with bulge outlet for 3/8" ID Fuel Hose:
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=300

with 06AN outlet fitting:
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...p?prod_id=1103
    Last edited by Mark Reynolds; 11-10-2016 at 09:28 AM. Reason: fix typo
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.