Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MrSherms818S Build

Post Thanks / Like

MrSherms818S Build

I've been contemplating on whether or not to start a build thread and I decided that I had better get one going for a few reasons. First, it is a great place to document the build and learn a few things while I am at it. I have never taken on something of this magnitude before, other than owning an '84 CJ for six years, and I figure at some point(s) I am going to need some help.

I picked up my kit in April of this year (#396). It was a retirement present to myself after 21yrs, 1mo, and 1dy in the U.S. Marine Corps; at least that is how I sold it to my wife. I share our two car garage with four kids, two power wheels, bikes etc., so it is tight but I have been making it work so far. As stated, I cut my teeth on the CJ over its six year period but I am not at all familiar with the Subaru set up. My donor is a 2004 Impreza WRX - solid motor, running before tear down and the previous owner's CarFax report is seven pages long, very meticulous maintenance record. My weakness is definitely wiring, and some of the motor plumbing that I am not familiar with (i.e. intercoolers etc.) but I have picked up a wealth of knowledge and information from some of the forum members.

So far I have gotten the firewall in, front/rear suspension on and started to run cooling lines. I am 6'2" and have already decided that I am going with the Boyd tank for space; so resolute that I didn't even take box #7 at pickup. I also started to mock up the steering column to see where I can save some space there. I don't plan on using the kit shifter and picked up an MR2 shifter at a local salvage yard. Mechie3's bell crank shifter (awesome piece of gear) is already mounted on my trans ready to go and I got a set of wheels from FFR at pick-up.

I am planning to drop the motor in this weekend so that I can accurately measure and run lines and possibly start running some brake lines. My timing however is not so good, I am scheduled for shoulder surgery in late Sept, so I am planning on a last minute rush before I have to lay off it for some time. The overseas tours are starting to catch up with me...

I will do my best to post pics and give updates, and from reading other build threads over the past couple of months I am offering my appreciation in advance for any assistance that I get. Very impressed with the camaraderie and information sharing I have seen on the forums.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Welcome to the forums/welcome to your own build thread. Let us know if you have any questions, and throw some pictures up! Where(abouts) are you located?
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    First off, thank you for your service. Looks like you're off to a great start and you're right, the camaraderie here is awesome. I don't think you'll have to much difficulty with the build. (Adapt and overcome ) .

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! It is a fun build and will probably challenge you at times, but this forum is awesome with awesome people inside. I have 818S #352 getting real close to go-kart phase, but no build thread. Advice: clean and paint your donor parts as appropriate, your car will look nicer for the effort and it is relatively inexpensive to do, even if it is just hitting a rusty area, bolt head, etc., with some silver/blk/etc. paint using a small artist's paint brush....huge visual difference and modest time/$$ investment!!
    Last edited by ben1272; 09-08-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Currently located in Severn, MD; smack dab in between DC and Balt. but we maintain family roots in PA and NC as well. I spent a great deal of time prepping the donor parts and ensuring they are clean etc. I figure if I am going to invest as much time in this as I suspect then I am going to do it right (or at least try). I will attempt pics later today. *insert fingers crossed emoji here*

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! There are actually a few 818 builders in your area that have completed and registered their 818s. I'm sort of near by in case you want to go for a ride or come check out how much space you get with the Boyd tank (I'm also 6'2"). I'm pretty close to finishing my 818, just wrapping up the body work and many other small details.
    Last edited by STiPWRD; 08-25-2016 at 01:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! I was hoping you'd be located in Jacksonville, NC as my wife is stationed at the naval hospital at Camp Lejeune so I could come take a peek! Good luck with the project. Looking forward to pictures!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome here and good idea on the build thread, we want to follow that!

Sorry for my pathetic Canadian ignorance, but what's a CJ? The old Jeep? If yes, pretty cool! Off road fun (which you won't have with the 818)!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank - yes, old Jeep. I played a good deal of floor hockey with the Canadian Special Forces fellas in Afghanistan - great experience.

image1.JPGimage2.JPGimage3.JPGimage4.JPG

Attempted to attach some pics of my set-up. More to follow as I make progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know what is supposed to be attached to the actioning tab on the clutch cylinder? It looks like there should be a spring or something like that there to assist with pedal return but I don't seem to have it. Folks have told me that the clutch would return on its own? Running a 2004 WRX trans and I think that is the "push" fork set up.
    image.jpegimage.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mistasherm View Post
    Anyone know what is supposed to be attached to the actioning tab on the clutch cylinder? It looks like there should be a spring or something like that there to assist with pedal return but I don't seem to have it. Folks have told me that the clutch would return on its own? Running a 2004 WRX trans and I think that is the "push" fork set up.
    image.jpegimage.jpeg
    When the clutch pedal is not connected to the clutch, the pedal's spring will toggle between fully depressed and fully released this is to aid in holding the clutch disengaged. Once everything is fully hooked up and the hydraulics are primed the pedal will function as expected. The return force will come from the clutch pushing back on the slave cylinder which in turn pushes the clutch pedal back to its original position.
    Last edited by TouchStone; 09-08-2016 at 11:46 AM. Reason: more details
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    TouchStone - thanks. I wanted to be sure of what I was told.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a pass from the family this weekend to do some car work and the weather is cooperating by cooling off. My goal is to get the motor and trans in, complete the steering rack depower, and start mapping the brake lines. I also need to do a restock and sort the remaining FFR boxes and parts that have not been used yet. I will try and post pics. Shooting for a possible two weekend parlay also because I have extensive shoulder surgery at the end of the month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Running brake lines and I only had to use one purple adapter on the vertical inlet of the MC?? Saw the stern conversion warning in the manual but the adapter only fits into one inlet of my MC - they are clearly different thread pitches on the MC - you can see it with the naked eye...

Post Thanks / Like
    Coming back from shoulder surgery - getting range of motion back etc. Spent a lot of time looking at the car in the garage and mentally coming up with a plan of attack. Also had a chance to run out to NoVa to see StiPWRDs build. Really nice job, his time investment and attention to detail were very evident in the car. Picked up some build tips from him and I think that I am going to get back on it next week. Contemplating the TGV deletes and want to do it myself rather than go after market but at the same time I am not looking for a whole of performance improvement above stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    How is your build coming along? Lets see some pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    How is your build coming along? Lets see some pics.
    Hey David! You busted me! As you can see by my last post date, I have not been good about updated my progress.... I have been doing quite a bit of forum lurking and getting some pointers from local builders. I just finished pressing out the front bearings in order to replace one that had some play in it. The motor is in - the wiring harness is dieted (I think I did it correctly) - the MR2 shifter is in and mounted to the ZeroDB bell crank - steering column is in as well as the rack - radiator is in - brake/clutch lines are installed - coolant pipes installed. I am pretty close to a first start, I just need to get the turbo IC sorted. I should really post a few pics. Shoulder surgery, selling some property, four kids....excuse excuses...I need to do better with documenting my progress and verifying my work.

BTW - your paint job looks awesome - can't wait to see you cruising the Eastern Shore and possibly the Skook!

FWIW - I would not be where I am in this build today if it were not for the forum and all the expertise that can be found here - just saying...

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back