BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mk4 Roadster #8046 Complete

Post Thanks / Like

Mk4 Roadster #8046 Complete

A 3 year project with my now 17 year old son. We learned a lot together and it was a terrific journey. We had our share of problems and frustrations but a significant feeling of accomplishment when we overcame them. For me, it was as much about the journey as the destination.

Although I've not posted here before, the forum was invaluable. The FFR guys were also a great help. Family, friends & neighbors were always supportive and chipped-in when they could help. Special thanks to my wife for her patience and support as well as giving up her garage space for the better part of three years. (Sorry about those marks on the kitchen table when we were assembling the pedal box and rotors.)

Configuration: Coyote 5.0L, TKO600, Moser rear-end with 3-link suspension, power steering. The rest is pretty much standard for the kit with a few "optional" items from community members like Russ Thompson's turn signal stalk.

We are trying to jump through the hoops to get it titled and licensed but the Houston weather has not been cooperating the last couple weeks. Too rainy to get it on the trailer to get the master technician inspection and over to a certified weigh scale. Hopefully we will be on the road in the next week or so. I bet my neighbors are getting tired of us doing laps around the neighborhood circle.

IMG_1736.jpgIMG_1740.jpgIMG_1741.jpgIMG_1746.jpgIMG_1748.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    congrats! How about a picture of the engine compartment?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Very nice looking paint job and the neatest part of this is its a father and son build.
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Here you go. We just added a 4-in. tube in front of the MAF as we had some idling issues and would occasionally stall coming to a stop. A friend thought that the MAF was seeing some turbulence and not sending the right signal. Unfortunately his HPTuner failed so we could not check it with the computer. Added the tube anyway and it really seemed to help. First pic is before and second pic is after we added the extra intake tube.

IMG_1762.jpgIMG_1774.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! Where did you get it painted?

Also - won't help with the rain, but you don't need to trailer it anywhere. For $25 (IIRC) your local county tax office will sell you a 30 day temporary tag that you can use to drive the car anywhere. No inspection needed for that, just proof of insurance. I used it to drive around when I was looking for that elusive master tech.
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice color combination! Enjoy it

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice, congrats! Second the cool color combo.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
    Very nice! Where did you get it painted?

Also - won't help with the rain, but you don't need to trailer it anywhere. For $25 (IIRC) your local county tax office will sell you a 30 day temporary tag that you can use to drive the car anywhere. No inspection needed for that, just proof of insurance. I used it to drive around when I was looking for that elusive master tech.
    It was painted by Walter da Cruz - A1 Auto Restoration

Thanks for the tip on the temporary tag! That saves me a lot of hassle. I got the insurance last week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great. Congratulations! Lots to like with that build. Very cool you were able to do it with your son. Lifetime memories there.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great; your son will never forget the time together!

Post Thanks / Like
    looks great

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schndav View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the temporary tag!
    I have another potentially useful tip re: registration; I will PM you.
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a sweet looking car. Congratulations on your accomplishment.