Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 33 hot rod

Post Thanks / Like

33 hot rod

Hey, I'm thinking of one of these kits but I'd like to install a 392 hemi I have from a '57 imperial. Has anyone done one, if so what problems did you encounter. Any photos out there

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/120-fac...mi-lovers.html

'57 392 Hemi in a HotRod from the other forum.

There's at least one build with a new Hemi in it also, but I can't remember the builders name.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    392 will fit and look great, however, caveat is the engine mounts will be forward of the FFR design and may move the weight distribution forward. I think I posted a pic in the engine build area. I believe it may be possible to cantilever the mount somewhat and push the engine tight to the firewall for better weight transfer. I also would push the tranny back as far as possible. Depending on crank centerline the right rear valve cover gets close to the tube at the firewall, but it will clear before the distributor hits. If you run iron heads and an overdrive automatic you will be heavy. If you also put tall rear tires on your weight transfer will require moving lower control arm points on the rear end.
    I would consider aluminum heads to get some weight off and run a TKO600 or T56. Use a GM bell conversion with the starter on the passenger side, 30 degree filter and shorty headers. I don't think you have room for an old school blower pulley, but a Paxton would fit...

Post Thanks / Like
    As EH mentioned you will have to do a lot of extra fab work to make any engine other than the narrow choices by FF work in the 33.
    The good news is the FF 33 is IMO over-sprung on the front so you (may) not have to change the front springs to handle the extra 300 lbs of engine.

I'm doing one of the 2 that have the modern Hemi in it so weight isn't an issue on mine and the size of the engine is only slightly bigger than the
    chassis was designed for. The custom bits you will need to make will include motor mounts, headers, oil pan, oil filter mount, tranny mounts and
    IF you want power steering you will need to move the Unisteer up to the firewall and make a wedge mount for it in that location. You may also have
    issues with the pulley set-up and intake design depending on whether you want to run a hood and hood sides or just leave the beast exposed.
    If you want to see my approach at putting a Hemi in the 33 look in the gallery here under myjones and on the other forum under Buck70. I don't have
    a blog or build thread on either but I have posted various bits on specific issues as I went along. Build what you like and enjoy it, and post pics as you go.
    Dale Berry 6.1 stroked to 7.0L/426 6 pack Hemi stroker.