FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vinyl Roadster Seats mod

Post Thanks / Like

Vinyl Roadster Seats mod

Hi everyone, with 3300 miles on my build the FFR roadster seats where looking very tired. Lifted the seat up and the adhesive between the foam and the vinyl completely failed. The vinyl was pulling away from the bottom and the seat looked worn out. It looked worse than the attached photo. Stopped by a local auto upholster and he suggested to put a thin piece of plywood under the foam, you could staple the back and sides to the plywood and it will give you a much better "feel" to the seat. The plywood is 15/32, I would not go any thicker, you just don't have much material to stretch over the wood and keep the original shape. Auger bit to make a hole for the bolts that hold the seat to the frame. Staple gun around the three sides, lots of staples. I was going to use an adhesive along with the staples but did not. May regret that but can always redo later. The seat does "feel" better, really stiffens the foam and raises up the body a bit. You would think that 15/32 would not make that much difference but as soon as I got in to try it out noticed it immediately.

IMG_0521.jpgIMG_0522.jpgIMG_0523.jpgIMG_0524.jpgIMG_0525.jpgIMG_0527.jpg

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great Idea, Even For New Seats!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found the covering coming off the foam on the seat bottoms on brand new seats. Maybe it's the adhesive they're using or it's not applied properly. Whatever, not surprised you would see this especially on a seat that's had some real world experience. Since I've put seat heaters in my builds, the covers had to come off anyway. When re-assembling, used some real DAP contact cement, and they're very solid. The plywood and staples is another approach and a good idea.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep - and if you want, you can also take this as a time to lower the seat cushion to get the driver and passenger tucked down behind the windshield a little better. I did that by cutting about half of the seat foam away, then scalloping the sides so that the cushions fit down inside the side bolsters near the front.

When cutting the cushion, the MDF (or plywood) ensures that you're not feeling the seat frame tubing.

Underside with scallops and glued to the MDF:

Side view showing how the thinner lower cushion fits down inside the side bolsters:

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    My seats already are peeling back and they are brand new. I was planning to go the DAP route when I remove them again for carpet install but now you have me thinking....

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gentlemen,

Thanks for addressing this issue.

I've got the Big & Tall Seats and the bottoms look a bit WONKY so I think the backer board option may be something that ends up getting done. Though the seats are still in my living room, the good news is the engine and transmission are finally going in, so the seats will follow as soon as this puppy comes to life.

Thanks Again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the bottom cushion on the B&T seats is wrong. Feels like you are sitting on a beach ball.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just installed my seat warmers and found the glue almost non existent on the B & T seats. I tried 3M adhesive which did not work that well so I used Gorilla Glue and I don't think they ever will come apart.

It sounds like the MDF or plywood addition is another mod to add to the list.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    I fixed my seat covers by installing eyelets and lacing them like a pair of shoes. Works great but only time will tell how it holds up.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm having the same problem at 750 miles. Glad you posted this. I'll be doing the same.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did leather ones with Gorilla Glue last month. Much better looking & they feel good. Double win.

Anyone with the low back Kirkey Vintage seats, are they comfortable for a few hours driving?
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the low backs in my car
    yes comfortable on a several hour drive
    BUT
    I modify them to fit me
    DO NOT BE AFRAID to use the BFH
    to open them up to fit your shape perfect.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    I fixed my seat covers by installing eyelets and lacing them like a pair of shoes. Works great but only time will tell how it holds up.

Bob
    Bob-

I am trying to picture what you mean here. Did you put eyelets in the leather/vinyl, and lace it around the seat frame? Or, did you do something different? Thanks!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I folded the vinyl over about and inch around the sides and front of the seat bottom, punched holes and installed eyelets. Then crisscross a piece of leather lacing across the bottom of the seat side to side and then front to sides forming a webbing. Tie the ends off, then if you need to remove it you can just untie it. If it gets loose with time just retie it tighter. My only concern is if the vinyl tears over time. I don't think it will, but if it does I'll add some reinforcement. I'm vacationing in Alaska right now so I can't get a picture. I'll take one when I get home in a couple of weeks if need be.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Bob-

I am trying to picture what you mean here. Did you put eyelets in the leather/vinyl, and lace it around the seat frame? Or, did you do something different? Thanks!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    I folded the vinyl over about and inch around the sides and front of the seat bottom, punched holes and installed eyelets. Then crisscross a piece of leather lacing across the bottom of the seat side to side and then front to sides forming a webbing. Tie the ends off, then if you need to remove it you can just untie it. If it gets loose with time just retie it tighter. My only concern is if the vinyl tears over time. I don't think it will, but if it does I'll add some reinforcement. I'm vacationing in Alaska right now so I can't get a picture. I'll take one when I get home in a couple of weeks if need be.

Bob
    Bob-

That's a perfect explanation; thank you! I can see how that would help keep things tight and square.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Enjoy your Alaska trip, it is so beautiful up there!

Thanks again.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dougherty View Post
    I have the low backs in my car
    yes comfortable on a several hour drive
    BUT
    I modify them to fit me
    DO NOT BE AFRAID to use the BFH
    to open them up to fit your shape perfect.
    Thanks, have a very nice dead blow hammer. Am going to run an auto X & if I get hooked will need to get new seats. Realize the high backs are better, but like the look of the low back seat. Form over function in this case.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15