Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Intrusive gas smell

Post Thanks / Like

Intrusive gas smell

I've been trying to decide on a fix for the gasoline smell that is evident when I am driving my 818S. I suppose that it is caused by the flat rear bumper and rear (small wing) on the car making the air/exhaust smell waft back into the cabin. The last convertible that I owned used a screen behind the seats to keep air from hitting you in the back of the head. Anybody come up with a solution for the 818? Also, I am wondering if my custom engine tune is richening the fuel mixture enough to cause more gas smell.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can smell raw gasoline from your exhaust you have some serious engine issues. I would think that your issues could be either you have a leak from your fuel tank (are you using the FFR or the Boyd tank?), fuel fittings, or the manor in which you vented the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    My fuel tank leaks (FFR tank) have been corrected. I am using a Miata carbon canister with the lower nipple vented down to the chassis. I don't think the smell originates either from the tank or the canister as it is only evident when the engine is running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you post a photo of the exhaust location on your car?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could there be fuel leaking in the engine comptmnt from a fitting? You may not be able to fix exhaust smell in cabin but you shouldnt smell fuel

Post Thanks / Like
    The exhaust exits low and behind the right rear wheel. I am using the FFR supplied stainless pipe and a Supertrap on the end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is in the same location as yours. I am running a high flow cat. No hint what so ever of exhaust fumes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I run mine with fuel only up to the fuel level sender level ( first FFR tank) if I go higher I have fuel smell issues. I'm using a home made carbon canister
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Like you, I also have a Miata canister with the bottom port vented straight down and my exhaust exits in the same place as yours. Like you, I had no garage smell but had gas fumes while driving. It turned out that my '06 2.5 turbo was running rich due to an intake leak at one of the fuel injectors. Once fixed, no more fuel smell. Maybe look for a misfire code or other tuning issue?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    After Hindsight"s suggestion I took a closer look at all fuel fittings and hoses. I did find a small leak at a hose, tightened the clamp and smell gone. Probably saved the car from a complete fiery conflagration.