FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Parking Brake Lights?

Post Thanks / Like

Parking Brake Lights?

I would get out of my car and notice that the brake lights were on. When I drove, I watched the reflection on the cars behind me and they functioned normally. When I would park in the garage they were off and all was good (I do not apply the parking brake in the garage). The brake light issue happened a couple more times but all was normal when driving. One day I happened to be parked next to a store front window and saw that they were lit. As soon as I released the parking brake they went off. They came back on when I applied the parking brake. Knowing that there is no electrical connection between the parking brake and the lights I am confused as to the cause. Could it be that the application of the parking brake releases pressure from the brake system causing my brake pedal to drop enough to turn on the lights? If my logic is correct, does anyone have any thoughts on a solution?
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Check the adjustment on the electrical switch on your pedal.

I had this happen on my Ancient Long In The Tooth Daily Driver C-4 Corvette after I changed the power brake booster.
    When you pulled the parking brake it seemed to release just enough pressure to let the brake pedal drop.
    When I'd pull the parking brake sometimes the brake light would come on.
    After a little adjustment of the switch the problem went away.
    It only happen when I engage the manual parking brake so it really bugged me for more than a few hours.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-26-2016 at 02:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMOCO View Post
    I would get out of my car and notice that the brake lights were on. When I drove, I watched the reflection on the cars behind me and they functioned normally. When I would park in the garage they were off and all was good (I do not apply the parking brake in the garage). The brake light issue happened a couple more times but all was normal when driving. One day I happened to be parked next to a store front window and saw that they were lit. As soon as I released the parking brake they went off. They came back on when I applied the parking brake. Knowing that there is no electrical connection between the parking brake and the lights I am confused as to the cause. Could it be that the application of the parking brake releases pressure from the brake system causing my brake pedal to drop enough to turn on the lights? If my logic is correct, does anyone have any thoughts on a solution?
    I think you've found the reason, I would adjust the brake light switch slightly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I concur. You reasoned it out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the recommendations. I thought of adjusting the switch. My additional concern is that there is constant pressure of some level on the master cylinders that is relieved by the application of the parking brake. Could this be an issue for the master cylinders and should I be concerned?
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.