FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coupe Gullwing Roof Panels

Post Thanks / Like

Coupe Gullwing Roof Panels

Hi Folks,

Why Gullwing roof panels? For two reasons. To make it much easier for big and old guys like me to get in and out and for an open top option.

Have the factory leave out the two tubes that run from the top of the rear roll hoop to the windshield hoop. Install one or two tubes in the center and add gusset tubes in the corners. Then cut the roof out on each side and add gutters, hinges at the center and pistons to hold them open. A pair of spring loaded rods on each one to latch them. By removing the hinge and piston pins you have T Tops.

What do you think?
    Last edited by JB91710; 09-02-2016 at 11:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    go all the way... and run a window frame and attach the doors as well. that would be a classic look full gull-wing doors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    go all the way... and run a window frame and attach the doors as well. that would be a classic look full gull-wing doors.
    I was looking for the easiest way out And have an open cockpit. With the door out of the way and the roof panel up, it would be much easier for a big framed guy to get in and out. When I was at the showroom, the only car I was comfortable sitting in and getting in and out of was the '33. The roadster doors would have had to be notched out for my left arm or I would have to lean over toward the center. I'm only 5'-11" but I'm 220 with a big upper body. I looked at the coupe with the door open and said, "No Way." Same with the GTM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Asking Factory Five To Alter Their Kits Really Isn't An Option!

When I ordered my MK-4, I asked to simply leave the engine mounts off and that request was a No Go!
    Doing mods is fine with them as long as you are doing them yourself.

It Would Be Way Cool Though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Asking Factory Five To Alter Their Kits Really Isn't An Option!

When I ordered my MK-4, I asked to simply leave the engine mounts off and that request was a No Go!
    Doing mods is fine with them as long as you are doing them yourself.

It Would Be Way Cool Though!
    That's what I thought. Liability is tough enough without introducing mods.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember seeing someone that was working on T tops at one point. Can't remember who though.
    Actual gull wing doors would be awesome. Funnily enough my son was just asking me about doing that to my coupe as he likes the Mercedes.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dol View Post
    I remember seeing someone that was working on T tops at one point. Can't remember who though.
    Actual gull wing doors would be awesome. Funnily enough my son was just asking me about doing that to my coupe as he likes the Mercedes.

John
    John-

Is it possible that you are thinking of the t-top design that Don was working on for his hardtop for the roadster?

JB- I think what you describe could be done. I know it would take some frame mods, with a bit of work, I think you can make the frame do what you need, and the fiberglass work is manageable. The hardware for what you want is available, etc.

I know I am oversimplifying this, but if you have the courage and skills, this can be done! I think it would be really cool to pull this off! I really love the gullwing idea, but that might be a bridge too far!

Let us know if you go ahead with this. I know there are lots of folks here that could help you with your plans, and help you make good decisions.

Good luck!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a thread maybe 2 months ago here or on the other forum about doing this on a hardtop on a roadster. In there was a link to an older thread showing how he did it. Sorry I can't be more specific but I think it will be worth the effort to search.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

It was definitely a coupe. The two outer bars where moved to the center to facilitate the T tops.

John

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    JB,

Did you try sitting in the coupe? It is actually quite roomy inside ... just need to learn the technique for getting in or out, trial and error.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dol View Post
    Steve,

It was definitely a coupe. The two outer bars where moved to the center to facilitate the T tops.

John
    Sorry John! I hope I didn't offend.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

Not at all, I tried looking for the pictures but so far not succesful.
    It was a builder I had never seen before, and haven't seen since. Think it was a grey bodied coupe.
    Maybe someone else remembers this or knows the builder??

John

Post Thanks / Like
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ght=Coupe+tops

Found what I thought was the t-tops thread. It's a sun roof instead.
    Guess I wouldn't be a very reliable eye witness!!!��
    Just scroll down

John
    Last edited by John Dol; 09-05-2016 at 08:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started the other thread, as you will see my idea was exactly what you came up with pretty much by moving the two bars inside. I don't think I will be doing that mod for a WHILE if at all, but Cobraphx replied with a pretty good sunroof he was working on.

For what it's worth, I'm 6' 3" and yes, it's hard to get in. Once I'm in it's all right though. I think the Spyder would have been the perfect kit for me
    Michael
    Coupe #675 "Eloise"

10/14/14 Coupe Ordered - 1/29/15 Coupe Delivered - 5/1/16 First Start
    Build Thread - Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Bopp View Post
    JB,

Did you try sitting in the coupe? It is actually quite roomy inside ... just need to learn the technique for getting in or out, trial and error.

Garry
    Yes Garry, I did sit in the coupe and you are right, it is comfortable. !!!A thought I had always wondered about just jumped into my head!!! I wonder if FFR still has the molds for the Spyder's dash board which I would imagine would work in the coupe. THAT, was a beautiful dash. Very much like the Gt-40. Closing in on 66 years old, I would still want a car I could get in and out of fairly easily and sit in comfortably. Plus, an open top is great for foliage time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mjazzka View Post
    I started the other thread, as you will see my idea was exactly what you came up with pretty much by moving the two bars inside. I don't think I will be doing that mod for a WHILE if at all, but Cobraphx replied with a pretty good sunroof he was working on.

For what it's worth, I'm 6' 3" and yes, it's hard to get in. Once I'm in it's all right though. I think the Spyder would have been the perfect kit for me
    Years ago I was trying to figure out which FFR kit to buy that would fit me, my life style and my wallet. I cam up with the GT Spyder. Contacted the factory and found out it was discontinued. That's when I started to build my own car. I loved that dash board they had.

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR does not have the Spyder dash but you can still get it from Bill Hough. The guy that made the original Coupe bodies for FFR.
    I bought one, but it's not an easy fit. Mods have to be made in order to get it in there. That's not to say that it can't be done because it has. I ended up modifying it to the point that it wasn't a dash anymore and threw it out.
    It would be better to modify the frame to make it fit.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what the coupe doors look like, but have you ever seen GT40 doors? they go into the roof. Well, while in UK I wanted to have "airflow" so I cut the top of the doors off, and created a system where two tubes were glassed into the lower normal door, and pins glassed into the now t-tops. A strip of foam and some cam-locks and I had removable t-top on my GT40, and still waterproof.

Worked a treat.. just throwing it out there as another idea

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    I don't know what the coupe doors look like, but have you ever seen GT40 doors? they go into the roof. Well, while in UK I wanted to have "airflow" so I cut the top of the doors off, and created a system where two tubes were glassed into the lower normal door, and pins glassed into the now t-tops. A strip of foam and some cam-locks and I had removable t-top on my GT40, and still waterproof.

Worked a treat.. just throwing it out there as another idea
    When I first saw the GT-40 I thought those doors were very cool. IMO Every square inch of the 1969 car is the best looking car ever made. The seats and dash are perfect.