Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MK4 #8951 Build

Post Thanks / Like

MK4 #8951 Build

OK, so here goes! I received my kit from Stewart on Saturday morning. It was incredibly hot and humid, but I was completely stoked! We live in a neighborhood in Philly and the streets are really small, but the driver Don did an amazing job and was super nice. In hindsight I wish I had thought to have cash on hand to tip him.

I have a small 2 car garage to work with. One of the bays had a closet intruding into it, so I have had to get a bit crafty about space. So far all of the boxes are under the body buck and the frame is in the next bay. I marked and removed the aluminum. I didn't take pictures though so I am feeling a bit nervous about being able to put it back together later.

I have been told that getting shelves and taking all of the parts out will make it easier to build so I am looking into that. If anyone has done that, please chime in.

I am attending the build school this week, so hopefully I will pick up some good tricks there.

Last, but not least the plan:

It has IRS and I loaded up on the goodies during the half off sale. It started as a basic kit, but I basically added options until it was a complete kit.
    I got an engine/trans combo from MPS auto salvage. They sent me the vin and I carfaxed it. It had 6 owners and over 200,000 miles so I was expecting issues, but when I stripped it down the bores were immaculate. Apparently all of the owners took really good care of it. My rebuild is basically the top end kit from LMR - so heads and a cam. That should get me to 300hp - which is more than enough for my purposes.

The car is being built to take cross country road trips and enjoy the twisties. I want all of my controls to be light and direct. I am going with power steering and power brakes. I want to do hydraulic assist brakes - but I need to gather more info - If anyone has experience with that, please let me know! lastly, I am going with a mid-shift T-5. I am picking up the conversion from Modern Driveline. That is it for now. I will add a bunch of pictures as soon as I figure out how. For all the folks who are also on the Facebook builder page - thanks for such a warm welcome!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations on your new build!

I've upgraded your account for full access. If you have any questions about posting pics or modifying your build thread title as you go. see the stickied threads in the Welcome and Intro forum. I'm also available via PM.

STOKED for you!

PS One thing I did (because I was tight on space too) is write all the parts that are IN the box ON the box. That way I didn't have to tear into the boxes repeatedly just looking for parts.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks David! Also, that is a great idea! I probably will end up doing some kind of combination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Enjoy the build.
    I was nervous also about getting the panels back on. Really didn't turn out to be that difficult to figure out and I never even referenced the pictures I took. I think when it first showed up I was pretty overwhelmed with the quantity of parts and getting started. By the time you put the panels back on you are pretty familiar with everything and it is much more logical where they go back on.
    For finding parts in boxes I just look through the pack list and find what number box the part is in and then go to that box. I stacked the boxes so I could see all the numbers written on them. I also highlight on the pack list when I use that part and that way it makes it easy to tell what is still in the box.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I am glad to hear that you didn't have to reference your pictures. So many people have done this successfully that I can't be impossible. That being said, it is overwhelming looking at all of these parts. It is definitely more than I anticipated - which is a little ridiculous considering I am building a whole car. Highlighting the parts once you use them is a great idea!

Pictures to come soon, I swear!

Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Congrats! Enjoy the build.
    I was nervous also about getting the panels back on. Really didn't turn out to be that difficult to figure out and I never even referenced the pictures I took. I think when it first showed up I was pretty overwhelmed with the quantity of parts and getting started. By the time you put the panels back on you are pretty familiar with everything and it is much more logical where they go back on.
    For finding parts in boxes I just look through the pack list and find what number box the part is in and then go to that box. I stacked the boxes so I could see all the numbers written on them. I also highlight on the pack list when I use that part and that way it makes it easy to tell what is still in the box.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations On Starting This Great Adventure!

A two car garage is plenty big so don't fret.

My shop is even smaller so don't worry.

Have A Great Time At The Build School!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the kind words! I am super excited to pick up some tips and tricks at the build school!

Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Congratulations On Starting This Great Adventure!

A two car garage is plenty big so don't fret.

My shop is even smaller so don't worry.

Have A Great Time At The Build School!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with your build. I was just looking at build school classes yesterday. I'm hopeful that your experience at the build school will give you a "tips and tricks" well to draw from. I'd definitely need that before I could convince my wife about making the kit purchase.
    Last edited by 740iLn; 09-13-2016 at 12:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey great meeting you at the build school this weekend. I subscribed to your thread and am looking forward to keeping up with your build. Keep in touch and remember Woodward Dream Cruise 2017.
    Newbie Builder
    MK4 # 8947 - Base Kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered September 2, 2016
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build
    1969 Mustang Mach1 -393W, T5Z, Shaker Hood- Electric Pearl Blue w/ Stain Black Hood

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait to see how your build progresses. Please send me your invoice when you get a chance?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by unrealmach1 View Post
    Hey great meeting you at the build school this weekend. I subscribed to your thread and am looking forward to keeping up with your build. Keep in touch and remember Woodward Dream Cruise 2017.
    How was the build school?? I watched the FFR DVD and it had the build school episode of Two Guys Garage on it. Very cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey folks,

So I got back from the build school Monday night. It was such a fun time! Usually my wife and friends start to glaze over after I have been talking about cars for more than 30 seconds. This was three full days of hanging with like-minded people and learning tons of little tips and tricks. For anyone considered this build, I would recommend going to the build school BEFORE you submit your order. You will have a much clearer idea of what you actually want and need in your build. The instructors are great about telling you what is a worthwhile option and what isn't. In hindsight I definitely wouldn't have ordered the catalytic converters to manage sound. Instead I would have gone with the gas-n side pipes. Charles also made a very convincing argument that you don't need a mod-shift set up. That is probably the only piece of good advice I won't be following.

I have also decided on manual brakes and no a/c to keep things simple. I also plan to spend a year/season driving in gelcoat to shake out all the bugs before doing paint. That is my update for now. My mother-in-law just had surgery so for the next week or so I probably won't be able to get in the garage. Hopefully in that time I can get some pictures up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a quick question: Does anyone have any opinions on Forte's hydraulic clutch solution vs. Modern Driveline? I got Modern Driveline's S10 tail shaft for the T5 and that looked pretty slick, though I haven't installed it yet.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lahrs37 View Post
    Just a quick question: Does anyone have any opinions on Forte's hydraulic clutch solution vs. Modern Driveline? I got Modern Driveline's S10 tail shaft for the T5 and that looked pretty slick, though I haven't installed it yet.
    I used Forte's hyd clutch and was very pleased with it on my Type65.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I used Forte's hyd clutch and was very pleased with it on my Type65.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so I had a little bit of time to sneak away to the garage and I finished my inventory! Only a few missing pieces, and really only minor things. The biggest thing I realized is that I have the 13" rear brakes that come with the IRS set up, but the front brakes are only 11". I know that you generally want your from brakes to be larger than your rears. Well, you definitely want your front brakes to lock before your rears. I guess I could potentially fix this when I am setting my brake bias. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by unrealmach1 View Post
    Hey, it was great meeting you too! My goal is to be driving the roadster there! Do you think you will be on the road by then too?

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Glad You Had A Great Time!

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so I had a little bit of time to sneak away to the garage and I finished my inventory! Only a few missing pieces, and really only minor things. The biggest thing I realized is that I have the 13" rear brakes that come with the IRS set up, but the front brakes are only 11". I know that you generally want your from brakes to be larger than your rears. Well, you definitely want your front brakes to lock before your rears. I guess I could potentially fix this when I am setting my brake bias. Any thoughts?
    I would definitely talk to FFR tech support about that. You certainly want your brakes to work with each other. You do generally want more stopping power in the front. Never hurts to double check, and they are really helpful at FFR.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    I would definitely talk to FFR tech support about that. You certainly want your brakes to work with each other. You do generally want more stopping power in the front. Never hurts to double check, and they are really helpful at FFR.
    Good call. I sent a message to Courtnie along with the missing parts from my inventory. The front calipers are still 2 pistons, while the rears are single piston so I have a feeling there is till more braking force in the front, but it is good to double check. Worst comes to worst I looked up info about upgrading to the 13" Cobra brakes for the front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending upon your budget, the Wilwood brake upgrade is really great. Pricey, but great.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Depending upon your budget, the Wilwood brake upgrade is really great. Pricey, but great.
    I looked into that, but that is a little too rich for my blood, and probably an overkill for what I am after. Courtnie told me that all of their cars have larger rear brake rotors so not to worry. She is probably right, but I basically split the difference and ordered up an SVE 13" brake kit that is basically the Mustanf Cobra brakes that were recommended at the build school. I also returned the parking brake on the suggestion of the build school and ordered a used Mustang one on E-bay for super cheap. Also on the advice of the build school, I am swapping out the catalytic converters for the long tube BBK headers. Apparently the cats operate at a really high temperature and managing that extra heat is a pain. I only wanted them to bring the decibels down. But after hearing the Gas-n side pipes in person on the BBK headers I think that will work perfectly. Lastly, I have decided I am going to run my aluminum panels naked with the exception of heat shielding and sound proofing. Aluminum just is not that susceptible to corrosion and all the folks who have gone this way aren't having issues. Besides I like the look.

Post Thanks / Like
    So apparently it easier for me to throw a video up than it is to get some pictures together. Here is a time lapse of my time in the garage last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UhzOpD4gLU

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a quick video clip of my garage as of today: https://youtu.be/vMB0QauPL0M

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I have run into my first snag. I installed the F panels and then went to install the lower A-arms. The passenger side went in fine with 1 washer on each side. The problem came on the driver side. On one side I could barely get it in even without a washer. I stopped for the night instead of forcing something. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if this will help but I was reading somewhere on another post that the bolts shipped were not equal length.

Post Thanks / Like
    Huh, interesting. After a bit of googling I found this: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...r-Control-Arms
    Hopefully that makes it easier for anyone following this thread in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by M3ichael View Post
    Not sure if this will help but I was reading somewhere on another post that the bolts shipped were not equal length.

Post Thanks / Like
    So apparently it easier for me to throw a video up than it is to get some pictures together. Here is a time lapse of my time in the garage last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UhzOpD4gLU
    Laurence, very cool time lapse video. What was your actual time working on the engine block in the video? Also, it looked like it was pretty dark in there. I have some shop lights I can send ya if you like!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure how long it was on real life - maybe 2 1/2 hours? Thanks for the light offer, but I just finished lighting up my garage. The next video should look a lot better!

Quote Originally Posted by 740iLn View Post
    Laurence, very cool time lapse video. What was your actual time working on the engine block in the video? Also, it looked like it was pretty dark in there. I have some shop lights I can send ya if you like!!

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I ran into my next snag. The ball joint went into one of the Upper Control Arms easily enough, but on the second one it locked up about half way down. I wailed on it for a bit but to no avail. A quick Google search seems to indicate Inmay have to buy new ones. Should FFR send me a new one of it is defective? I don't want to big them all of the time, but this could get pricey if a bunch of stuff doesn't work. I am pretty darn early in my build!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I ran into my next snag. The ball joint went into one of the Upper Control Arms easily enough, but on the second one it locked up about half way down. I wailed on it for a bit but to no avail. A quick Google search seems to indicate Inmay have to buy new ones. Should FFR send me a new one of it is defective? I don't want to big them all of the time, but this could get pricey if a bunch of stuff doesn't work. I am pretty darn early in my build!
    The Mevotech ball joints Factory Five supplies seem to be highly variable. Some go in fine, others lock up as you found. If you call them, likely they will send replacements. No guarantee they'll be any different, but probably the place to start. a) Don't ever hesitate to call them with issues or problems like this. You're not bugging them. It's called customer service, and they're good at it. b) I wouldn't use this as an indication of a bunch of stuff that doesn't work. Just happens to be a pretty common problem with IMO a somewhat cheap/low quality part.

Some have reported the Mevotech's will go in if the threads are aggressively cleaned with a wire brush. Unfortunately, I was never able to get them to work on my current build. Tried some Moog K772's, and they didn't work well either. Ended up with Howe Racing 22320S ball joints which went in perfectly. Super high quality, but not cheap.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the insight! I will follow your advice and start by reaching out to FFR. I will say that I have been extremely impressed by how responsive and cool they have been so far. It seems almost out of place in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    The Mevotech ball joints Factory Five supplies seem to be highly variable. Some go in fine, others lock up as you found. If you call them, likely they will send replacements. No guarantee they'll be any different, but probably the place to start. a) Don't ever hesitate to call them with issues or problems like this. You're not bugging them. It's called customer service, and they're good at it. b) I wouldn't use this as an indication of a bunch of stuff that doesn't work. Just happens to be a pretty common problem with IMO a somewhat cheap/low quality part.

Some have reported the Mevotech's will go in if the threads are aggressively cleaned with a wire brush. Unfortunately, I was never able to get them to work on my current build. Tried some Moog K772's, and they didn't work well either. Ended up with Howe Racing 22320S ball joints which went in perfectly. Super high quality, but not cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    So FFR was super cool. I asked them if I could have a credit for the amount of a Moog K772 and they said yes. So I ordered one through Amazon, got it yesterday and installed it with no problem at all.

I then went to install my first coilover only to find that the spacers for the lower mount are too big - or more likely the ears on the frame are a little too close. So, that was a perfect excuse to order an angle grinder! lol I have a feeling I will be using that a lot in this build.

Lastly, does anyone know how I can upload pictures directly from my iPhone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick update: I ground the spacers down with the angle grinder. I had to do it for the lower mounts for both sides. So the coilovera are in! I went to mount the spindle and quickly realized I am missing a castle nut. I am not entirely sure if that is my own fault or not. Either way it was as good a time as any to stop for the night. The plan for today is to head to the hardware store, grab a castle nut, and finish mounting the front suspension already!

Post Thanks / Like
    So, my front suspension is mounted. I ended up picking up a 13" Cobra brake kit from LMR. I mounted the caliper and noticed that there doesn't appear to be slide pins which is a bit strange. I feel like I am probably not understanding something.

Also I had a little get together and one of our friends was inspired by my wife's riveting and wanted to try her hand at it. So my wife and her riveted the drivers side footbox wall panel on.

Lastly, I have been working a bit more on my 302. And when I say that, what I really mean is that I have been backtracking and redoing stuff that I didn't do a good job of in the first place. I will spare you the details because honestly it is just embarrassing. I got excited to be finished and didn't take my time like I should have.

So in the immediate future I am going to start in on the IRS, maybe do the drivers side footbox and firewall if the ladies feel like riveting, and maybe start thinking about runnin brake and fuel lines. At the school the lines were already run which made everything go very smoothly. I imagine it will be easier when there is less stuff to get in the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also I had a little get together and one of our friends was inspired by my wife's riveting and wanted to try her hand at it. So my wife and her riveted the drivers side footbox wall panel on. .
    The inner one hopefully? The outer is handy to leave off until the very end, for easy access to pedals, electrical, when carpeting, etc..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    The inner one hopefully? The outer is handy to leave off until the very end, for easy access to pedals, electrical, when carpeting, etc..
    Haha, yes the inner one.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast