Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MK4 #8951 Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I am thinking about how to rerun the brake line: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6GfL06punk

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Test 2

Post Thanks / Like
    My new braided fuel lines touch the back of my alternator. I can't believe that is a good thing. Should I get different fittings? Use the 2nd part of the stock lines?

Post Thanks / Like
    The alternator is not mounted in that picture yet...lol

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the cooling system fully plumbed. I started to fill it with coolant and noticed a leak coming from the area of the thermostat housing. I tried to tighten the bolts but to no avail. Upon inspecting the housing I noticed a crack. There is a small possibility that I cracked it by over tightening, but either way I ordered a new one. Hopefully that solves it.

On another thread I have been fighting with my hydraulic clutch system. I have ordered a smaller master cylinder (1" bore). Hopefully that reduces the pedal effort!
    5.0 HO from a '93 Mustang, SVE heads, Trickflow stage 1 cam, Trickflow Street Burner intake manifold, T-5 w/mid shift, IRS
    Delivery 9-10-16, First Start 12-28-16, First Go-Kart 2-18-17
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8951-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    End of the year update video!

https://youtu.be/RYp401vY2ZI
    5.0 HO from a '93 Mustang, SVE heads, Trickflow stage 1 cam, Trickflow Street Burner intake manifold, T-5 w/mid shift, IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/ZcQbsxeyBms

So that is a quick shot of it running for real. I had a ton of stuff that needed to be addressed before that happened. First there was a coolant leak. It looked like it was coming from the Thermostat housing so I tried to tighten it down a bit more and ended up cracking it. Ugh. So I ordered a new one. When I took the old one off I realized that even though I had put a gasket on, I hadn't put any rtv. I thought maybe that was cause of the leak. I reassembled the new thermostat housing with plenty of rtv... Another coolant leak!
    This was definitely from the water pump. I removed the water pump and inspected it. Sure enough the internal gasket had failed. It looked like it should have been user serviceable, but because they are so cheap I just replaced it.
    I reassembled and ... another coolant leak!
    This time it was on the lower radiator hose where it joined the water pump. Easier tightened down. Whew!
    The next problem was the timing. I started a whole other thread about that, so I will skip that here. Needless to say, the community was sooo incredibly helpful!
    Once I had the timing nailed, the engine would turn once and instantly die. My mechanic friend said that by running a different cam I might need to bump up my idle. That led me to do some research online which eventually led to the "ah ha!" moment. I still had the Idle Air Control valve from the original engine and that was a known failure point. I replaced it and BAM starts every time and stays on! It felt like a magic trick!
    Moving forward towards a go kart, I need to clearance the parking brake bracket because the drive shaft is contacting it. I have a few bad lug nuts which need to be replaced. I need to adjust the tie rods, route some wiring, get insurance, and mount my gauges. If all goes well it should be about 2 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Over the weekend I clearenced the parking brake bracket so the driveshaft wouldn't contact it, I roughed in the tie rods and tightened everything down. I made a huge mess trying to get fluid into the transmission, and I got the car on it's wheels. I still hadn't hooked up the gauges, but I though it might be a good idea to actually get the timing set. To to do that I decided I would move the car out of the garage a bit. The garage is attached to our apartment and when I run the engine the exhaust gets into the house.
    I was super excited that the car moved under its own power! Granted it was only a few feet, but still. Unfortunately that excitement was quickly tempered. The clutch was obviously not adjusted quite right because it was a little tricky to get it into gear and I stalled it by trying to get into reverse. Also, the engine sputtered and dies once I was outside. Ugh! I thought I had that figured out! After that I couldn't get it restarted. That meant that I needed to find three people to help me push the car back into the garage. In the meantime it got half buried in snow. Ugh. I think I am going to focus on some interior bits for a bit because I am getting pretty discouraged trying to get the darn thing to run right.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You Took Your Baby Out In The Cold Without Her Cloths!
    You Don't Want Her To Catch A Cold Do You?
    Hang In There & Good Luck!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-09-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    You Took Your Baby Out In The Cold Without Her Cloths!
    You Don't Want Her To Catch A Cold Do You?
    Hang In There & Good Luck!
    haha, no I definitely don't want her to catch a cold!
    I have a mechanic friend who lives in CT. I am going to try and convince him to come down, visit, and help me troubleshoot this darn thing. Objectively I know that I will eventually get it running right, but I secretly fear I won't. Once I can turn the key and it starts every time I will feel a lot better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I hear you loud and clear because I'm now buttoning up my much delayed build and the fear of the unknown is killing me.
    Will it or won't it start when I finally turn that key on that fateful day!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-09-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lahrs37 View Post
    haha, no I definitely don't want her to catch a cold!
    I have a mechanic friend who lives in CT. I am going to try and convince him to come down, visit, and help me troubleshoot this darn thing. Objectively I know that I will eventually get it running right, but I secretly fear I won't. Once I can turn the key and it starts every time I will feel a lot better.
    Perhaps the frame is having rejection issues because the heart is not the right blood type?!!! wink, wink!! Your build looks great. You are really moving along well. You will find the issues and it will be rock solid. Hope you are having fun. Sorry about all the white stuff outside. Tis the season to gloat in Arizona. It is 61 here today!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Perhaps the frame is having rejection issues because the heart is not the right blood type?!!! wink, wink!! Your build looks great. You are really moving along well. You will find the issues and it will be rock solid. Hope you are having fun. Sorry about all the white stuff outside. Tis the season to gloat in Arizona. It is 61 here today!!
    Thanks for the kind words. We moved here from the Central Coast of CA a year and half ago. When I feel like torturing myself I check the weather there! I am quite envious!

Post Thanks / Like
    So after some googling and sorting through posts on both of the forums, plus some other foxbody forums, I have come up with a checklist to start going through:
    1. Throttle position sensor - check voltage to make sure it is in spec (this is from the old engine so who knows whether it is still good)
    2. Is there enough gas in the tank? I put about 4 gallons, so i think that should be good.
    3. Clean and/or replace the throttle body - especially where the TPS mounts.
    4. check for vacuum leaks
    5. check for bad injectors- i have felt all 8 of the headers and they get hot so I am thinking that may not be a problem
    6. Replace the MAF? Again another old part
    7. Check the manifold gasket
    8. Is the dizzy mounted in the right orientation? I have read that even if the rotor is pointing at the correct spark plug wire, the orientation of the casing might still effect things.

That is all i came up with. If anyone else has any other ideas feel free to chime in!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey lahrs37,

I'm liking your build. I too am going with a 5.0 HO from a junkyard. You are way ahead of me though. (engine is torn down, but lots to do to get it back together) I also plan to get the modern driveline mid-shift. Was curious how that was to install on the t-5?

Looking forward to the go cart vid when you get her running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig baja View Post
    Hey lahrs37,

I'm liking your build. I too am going with a 5.0 HO from a junkyard. You are way ahead of me though. (engine is torn down, but lots to do to get it back together) I also plan to get the modern driveline mid-shift. Was curious how that was to install on the t-5?

Looking forward to the go cart vid when you get her running.
    It was pretty easy once I found the right YouTube video. I kind of muddled my through it. You can actually call modern drive line and someone will talk you through the install process. Actually you can call them multiple times if you need to. What are the specs for your build?

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the base kit. optioned in FFRs manual steering rack, lower control arms, and willwood pedal box. SN95 spindels, disks, and calipers up front. I have an 8.8 inch I rebuilt with 3.27 gears and 5 lug conversion. I,m leaving it drum brakes and 4 link. A rebuilt t5 (Have not got it yet, but plans for the Modern driveline mid-shift) with manual clutch. Have a 5.0 HO from a 96 Explorer. (They came with the same GT40 heads and intake as the 93 Mustang Cobra) I'm swapping out the cam for a foxbody cam, 24Lbs injectors, BBK MAF sensor, and cold air induction. (there are also a few other swaps to make, like oil pan and pickup, water pump, to make it fox body or MK4 roadster compatible. 15" FFR halibrand wheels. I guess that's about it. OH, red with black stripes. I figure It will be something I can cruise to a show or two in with a little more than the stock stock HP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig baja View Post
    I got the base kit. optioned in FFRs manual steering rack, lower control arms, and willwood pedal box. SN95 spindels, disks, and calipers up front. I have an 8.8 inch I rebuilt with 3.27 gears and 5 lug conversion. I,m leaving it drum brakes and 4 link. A rebuilt t5 (Have not got it yet, but plans for the Modern driveline mid-shift) with manual clutch. Have a 5.0 HO from a 96 Explorer. (They came with the same GT40 heads and intake as the 93 Mustang Cobra) I'm swapping out the cam for a foxbody cam, 24Lbs injectors, BBK MAF sensor, and cold air induction. (there are also a few other swaps to make, like oil pan and pickup, water pump, to make it fox body or MK4 roadster compatible. 15" FFR halibrand wheels. I guess that's about it. OH, red with black stripes. I figure It will be something I can cruise to a show or two in with a little more than the stock stock HP.
    That sounds like a great build. If I was to do it again I wouldn't have gone so crazy with the heads, cam, and intake. I would probably not even fully utilize a stock engine. I am looking forward to following your build!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to tomorrow's video of it running!
    I Watched the video. The grounds for the dash lights and license plate light aren't the problem. Good luck today.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Looking forward to tomorrow's video of it running!
    I Watched the video. The grounds for the dash lights and license plate light aren't the problem. Good luck today.
    Thanks! Even as I said that I knew that didn't make a lot sense. I dig the positive energy!

Post Thanks / Like
    your build is coming along great. The motor issue will get solved one way or another and that discouragement your feeling now will be forgotten. After my first start, the motor just wasn't running right. I had it towed to a local hotrod shop in Pottstown and a bunch of $$$ later, she is running perfect. My point is I did everything I could but finally reached out for some help.

P.S. saw your one YouTube where you say you "hate the corrugated pipe". I'm in the same camp. Breeze sells a real nice (not cheap) upper and lower solid pipe hose. For now, the corrugated will have to do until I get the itch to upgrade. I did replace the FFR supplied band clamps with Summit constant tension clamps. Made all the difference. No leaks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    your build is coming along great. The motor issue will get solved one way or another and that discouragement your feeling now will be forgotten. After my first start, the motor just wasn't running right. I had it towed to a local hotrod shop in Pottstown and a bunch of $$$ later, she is running perfect. My point is I did everything I could but finally reached out for some help.

P.S. saw your one YouTube where you say you "hate the corrugated pipe". I'm in the same camp. Breeze sells a real nice (not cheap) upper and lower solid pipe hose. For now, the corrugated will have to do until I get the itch to upgrade. I did replace the FFR supplied band clamps with Summit constant tension clamps. Made all the difference. No leaks.
    Those pipes looks sweet! I am probably going to have to wait for a while to do that too. The next post will explain why...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hang In There Lawrence!

Good Luck, Keep Calm & Don't Give Up!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-11-2017 at 01:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang In There Lawrence!

Good Luck, Keep Calm & Don't Give Up!

Steve
    Thanks! I was bummed as I was taking everything apart. But now that I turned the corner and am reassembling I feel better. In the grand scheme of things it was an expensive mistake, but one I am glad that I get to learn from - which is the whole point, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nothing in life that is worth doing is ever easy because accomplishment, I mean real accomplishment, is never accompanied by a Participation Trophy!
    If this were easy then the accomplishment, in the end, would be minimal.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing in life that is worth doing is ever easy because accomplishment, I mean real accomplishment, is never accompanied by a Participation Trophy!
    If this were easy then the accomplishment, in the end, would be minimal.

Steve
    Well said sir!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a bummer, but thanks for sharing the experience. Makes us all slow down and double check. Keep plugging away.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    That's a bummer, but thanks for sharing the experience. Makes us all slow down and double check. Keep plugging away.
    -Steve
    Thanks for the kind words Steve. My brother, who is a book binder, told me the way to make a truly great book is to stop trying to finish it. In the back of my mind I have always assumed I would be on the road by the summer, but that push to finish can be detrimental. I am going to try and slow down and just enjoy the process more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the setback! It will just make you that much prouder of your accomplishment when you get done!
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 02-11-2017 at 05:31 PM.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Sorry for the setback! It will just make you that much prowder of your accomplishment when you get done!
    Thanks man. I like that sentiment a lot!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got a call from my machine shop. My heads are all ready to be picked up! Apparently I only had 2 bent valves so the price ended up being about half of what I was expecting. I should be back in business and hopefully running/go-karting by this coming weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    My engine is now mostly back together. I am getting fast at this!

Edit: Yes I know the belt is on wrong in this picture.
    Last edited by lahrs37; 02-14-2017 at 07:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I ended up needing to get a different belt - a 74" as opposed to 73.5" - because I changed my power steering pulley as I bent my last one. With that done, I threw on the headers and exhaust and fired it up. After a few tried and fiddling with the dizzy with the SPOUT out I thought I had it dialed in. It then stalled and I couldn't restart. I think maybe I didn't tighten down the dizzy and it shifted. Not entirely sure. Also when everything was apart I pulled the tie rod to knuckle connectors because they were on the wrong side. In pulling them I jacked up the threads on the passenger side lower ball joint. I am going to go try and find a die with that thread pitch to try and save that stud because replacing that ball joint means pulling the a arms and having it pressed out. In any event redoing most of the engine ended up being a fairly minor setback!

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I have fixed the threads on the ball joint. I got the engine running relatively reliably. I think I might have hooked up the tach wrong and that was messing with the dizzy somehow... In any event, I set the timing and it seems to be idling alright. Joee helped set the idle before I grenaded the engine and the settings seemed to have carried over. I am stilling getting a random pop coming from the passenger side. One of the header bolts won't thread in straight no matter what I do, so maybe that is the issue. Hopefully I will be Go-Karting on the beautiful weather tomorrow! https://youtu.be/M4HebYT8FJ4

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lahrs37 View Post
    OK, I have fixed the threads on the ball joint. I got the engine running relatively reliably. I think I might have hooked up the tach wrong and that was messing with the dizzy somehow... In any event, I set the timing and it seems to be idling alright. Joee helped set the idle before I grenaded the engine and the settings seemed to have carried over. I am stilling getting a random pop coming from the passenger side. One of the header bolts won't thread in straight no matter what I do, so maybe that is the issue. Hopefully I will be Go-Karting on the beautiful weather tomorrow! https://youtu.be/M4HebYT8FJ4

I think I heard the pop your referring too in the above vid. Right when before you said "backfire". Where do you have your O2 sensor located? I originally located mine in the header which turned out to be a big mistake. After relocating to the side pipe collector, my motor smoothed right out.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast