Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Copart Calculator

Post Thanks / Like

Copart Calculator

I spent some time reading through some Copart threads this morning. Two big complaints were actual quality of the vehicles vs description of the quality of the vehicles, and unintelligible fee schedules. I figured I could do something about the latter, so I spent a couple minutes putting together a fee calculator.

Here is a link if you want to check it out/test it with known values

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wirzluf47...ator.xlsx?dl=0

It opens in Excel Online if you have a Microsoft account, or you can download it and open with desktop Excel. I didn't try any open-source (like Open Office), but it isn't complex so it should work just fine. If anyone wants to try out Google Docs, please let us know if it works there.

When I was looking for any kind of data to validate it, I came up dry. I thought I saw a page with an example bid and calculated fees for the vehicles when I was looking through them a couple weeks ago, but can't find any examples now (might have even been a different auction site). If anyone knows what I'm talking about and can point me to some examples, I want to test it.

I also saw that Copart links to Crashed Toys and maybe some other places. I'm an analyst by trade, so I spend upwards of 30 hours a week elbows deep in spreadsheets now, so I can modify this one without much trouble. I have a lot of homework to do now, though, so I gotta get to it.

If anyone thinks this would be useful, I could finish it off and provide it for the community.

One problem I'd like to address is sales tax, but I would need to consider sale state and resident state, and I would have to find/build a table for that. I don't want to take the time to research right now, but maybe after this semester is over.

I'm also open to thoughts and criticism. I expect that there is a lot I simply don't know about the Copart/auction process.

If this turns out to not be useful, or if I need to start over, I'm only out about 30 minutes right now, so that's ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry, this would have been beneficial for my analysis when finding a donor WRX. I may modify it later this week and let you see if it makes sense to you.

~Mark