Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: How to register a kit car in Georgia

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like

How to register a kit car in Georgia

I hope this helps some folks. It was a long process.

Follow this process if you built a car that is not a replica of an antique or historic vehicle. You can use this process for replicas of antique and historic vehicles but if you do, you will get a title that shows as whatever the current year is (IE if you register in 2016, your title would read 2016 Factory Five Racing Roadster). The implication there is emissions. However, the same statewide law that states you do NOT have to get emissions checked until your car is 2 years old will actually apply to you as well, so you don't have to worry about passing emissions for two years after you title the car. That's fine for a GTM or 818 that can be brought into emissions compliance easily, but not for a Cobra replica with a carburetor and side pipes! For replicas, there is another process you can follow that doesn't even require titles and you basically just go straight to the tag office and get a tag without any other headaches.

1. Get your car to the point where it will pass a safety inspection. Because the rest of the process can take some time, I would suggest skipping non-critical parts of the build and prioritizing the safety inspection stuff first so you can work on the rest while you are waiting on the state to get around to processing your paperwork. There is no official list published but they check: headlights, tail lights, reverse lights, hazards brake lights, wipers (though my inspector said he would pass a car without wipers), horn, seatbelts, e-brake, doors latch and stay shut. I think that's really about it. The inspectors are independent agents and will come to you. Their price is fixed to $100 (or $150, I forget). The inspectors normally inspect rebuilt salvage title vehicles, but they also do kit cars. The list of state approved inspectors is here: http://dor.georgia.gov/sites/dor.geo...%20Private.pdf You may have to call a handful of them in order to find one that is actually still inspecting and will come to you, or within a reasonable timeframe. The inspector will provide you with a signed form or two. He may even go through your paperwork and help guide you as to what you need to send in. It will basically be the same as what I outline here.
    2. Call the police and request an officer to your house to fill out a T22-B. Call non-emergency dispatch to do this. They will generally come out within a couple hours. Tell them why you need and and show them where the SERIAL NUMBER is on the frame. This is what you want them to put on the T22-B form.
    3. If the inspector didn't give you these already, fill out a form MV-1, T22-R, T-129, and an MV-100. All those can be downloaded from the dor.georgia.gov website in PDF format. Ensure you put 2016 as the model year on the forms; the rest should be self explanatory. On a piece of paper, write a note to the person processing the application that this is a kit car that you built, using parts from a donor car. Explain that all parts used to assemble the vehicle came from the donor car or the kit. If you bought other parts, you can list them there if you want to........... Now take all these forms and paper, plus the inspection form from the inspector and go to a notary. At least one form must be signed in front of a notary (it will say on the form). Once notarized, put it in an envelope, and also include the FFR Manufacturers Certificate Of Origin, the T-22B form that the LEO filled out, the title from the donor car (which you won't get back, FYI), and a photo copy of your driver's license. I included receipts from FFR and the auction place I bought the car from but my inspector told me I didn't have to do that. Mail the envelope in to:
    Attn: Salvage Unit
    Dept of Revenue / Motor Vehicle Division
    PO Box 740384
    Atlanta, GA 30374-0384
    4. After some weeks pass (7 in my case), you should get a letter back from them saying in order to continue, you need to provide them with two appraisals of your car from two manufacturers of kit cars. By "manufacturer", they mean people who build, complete, and sell them. There are several people on this forum alone who do this for a living, but don't call FFR for it. The appraisals need to be on "company letterhead stationary", though the two I sent in were on plain paper that had been color printed with company letterhead and they accepted them (ensure the company is legit and has a valid address and phone number). They want the appraisal so they know how much to tax you. Tax will be 7% of the highest of the two appraised values. They will tell you to mail the appraisals in with a copy of the letter they just sent you, to the same address I listed above. Now - You MIGHT be able to speed up the process by including these two appraisals in your first packet of forms that you send in, but I didn't try that so I can't say.
    5. After you send the appraisals in, some weeks will pass (3 or 4 in my case I think), you will get a vin plate in the mail which will also include a T-22 form, and a letter saying that your title is on hold until you pay your ad valorem tax and threatening penalties if you don't do it within like 3 weeks. You can do the remaining steps in several different orders but I would suggest the following order because it worked well for me. The vin and the tax letter came 2 days apart for me.
    6. Once you have the vin plate, you know your vin number so call your insurance company immediately and tell them to update your policy with your new vin number, and request that they update the Georgia State Database accordingly. I would strongly advise you to e-mail your insurance company the tax letter the state sent you so your insurance company can match EVERYTHING in that letter (vin, year, make, model, even your first, middle and last name). If you don't do this, the tag office may not be able to see your proof of insurance and that will prevent you from getting a plate.
    7. First thing is to put the vin plate on the car. It needs to be on the driver side B-pillar, and riveted in place. I put mine on the fiberglass side sail in the door jam right about the door striker. Once installed, call the police and request a LEO to come out and complete a T-22. This is not a T-22B, it is a T-22, and you should have them fill out the one that the state sent you which has the info they want pre-populated.
    8. Once you have the T-22 complete, take the tax letter down to your county tag office, give them the tax letter and tell them you want to pay the ad valorem tax for your kit car. They will call the state on the phone to tell them you are paying it so the state can update their records, then they will collect payment. In Fulton County, you could pay by personal check or credit card (credit card had a fee of like 2.5%). They give you a tax receipt and that's all. They will not give you a license plate yet.
    9. Now you have two options: 1 - Mail the the tax receipt, the completed T-22, and the tax letter to the same address listed above and wait for your title to come in the mail (2+ weeks), or, you can take all those things to the Georgia Department of Revenue Motor Vehicles office in person an request a title. I will warn you though, when I went to the counter to get my number and explained to the woman behind the window why I was there, she told me it, "wasn't policy to print titles for kit cars at the office and that they must be mailed." But she gave me a number anyway. When my number was called, the person helping me took my forms, I explained what I was there for, and she asked me for $10 and gave me my title. Your mileage may be vary.
    10. With the title in hand, go to the tag office and ask for a license plate. As long as your insurance shows up in their database and you have the title in hand, they will issue you a plate and tag. Now you are done. Two years from now you'll need to pass emissions each year on your birthday, just like with your other cars (assuming you own cars new enough to require emissions).

Some additional advice:
    - I would advise against calling the GA DOR and asking for help with this process. I tried that and got different stories each time I called. One time they told me they won't title a kit car. Another time they told me I could submit the initial paperwork (step 3 above) on-site to save time so I drove all the way down there (it's by the airport) and tried to submit it only to have them tell me I had to "put it in the mailbox over by the front door - we don't process kit cars at this location". I was told a lot of other stuff that wasn't accurate as well so to prevent confusion, I would avoid calling them for anything and just follow the process outlined above.
    - You CAN call the GA DOR to check the status of your request, but if you have not received the letter outlined in step 4 above, your request won't even show up in their system so they will say they don't see it, causing you anguish as you wonder if it's there and waiting to be processed, or lost forever in time and space.
    - I would send everything certified or trackable to them so if they lose it, you can prove you sent it.
    - Make copies of ALL paperwork! Especially Manufacturer's certificate of origin and donor car title
    - Smile and be nice to the people at the tag office and the DOR - I did that in step 9 and got my title even though the first person I talked to said that wasn't going to happen.

2. Thanks hartwellguy thanked for this post
    Likes hartwellguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    I hope this helps some folks. It was a long process.

Follow this process if you built a car that is not a replica of an antique or historic vehicle. You can use this process for replicas of antique and historic vehicles but if you do, you will get a title that shows as whatever the current year is (IE if you register in 2016, your title would read 2016 Factory Five Racing Roadster). The implication there is emissions. However, the same statewide law that states you do NOT have to get emissions checked until your car is 2 years old will actually apply to you as well, so you don't have to worry about passing emissions for two years after you title the car. That's fine for a GTM or 818 that can be brought into emissions compliance easily, but not for a Cobra replica with a carburetor and side pipes! For replicas, there is another process you can follow that doesn't even require titles and you basically just go straight to the tag office and get a tag without any other headaches.
    Do you happen to have any info on the process for the roadster.? From what I can tell, it has to be registered as the year it was built and therefore pass emissions.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Follow the instructions on the website to get a plate for a hobby/antique vehicle. You don't get a title. You bring a t22b, and a bill of sale to the tag office and the give you a tag. It's that simple. Might be one more form I am forgetting. Car will be in system as 1966 Ford Roadster or something similar. No emissions since it is a replica of an older car.
    Last edited by Hindsight; 09-19-2016 at 10:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you thank you thank you. I am sure this will save me many hours in the next few months when I start my process.

I owe you a beer.

So since it was registered as a "2016" car even though the frame is from an older year I won't have to pass emissions for 2 years? That's good to know. Did the salvage inspector look at the exhaust for cats or a muffler?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    No problem, I am glad I could help!

Yes, since it is registered as a 2016 regardless of when the kit was made or when you bought it and you won't have to pass emissions for 2 years.

The safety inspector did NOT look for cats or mufflers. I was worried that they would so I built a second exhaust that had a cat on it just in case. The inspector is there for safety, not emissions compliance. Your emissions testing location is the place that will test the smog stuff. Having said that, all inspectors are private licensed contractors so one inspector may differ from another, but in my experience, they are just looking for safety stuff. It is, after all, a "safety inspection." Suspension, brakes, seatbelts, horns, lights, door latches, etc etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am working on a plan for a Daytona build and I live in Cobb County. You say that I can get a tag for the car as an atique/hobby car, but no title? And if there is no title, there is no need to pass emissions? Isn't there an issue when you go and try to sell the car if there is no title?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    You say that I can get a tag for the car as an atique/hobby car, but no title? That is correct. No title is needed.

And if there is no title, there is no need to pass emissions? Sort of. The reason you don't have to pass emissions isn't because there is no title, it's because you are registering it as an antique/hobby vehicle.

Isn't there an issue when you go and try to sell the car if there is no title? The answer is "maybe." You have no title, but you DO have a MCO (Manufacturer's Certification of Origin). That will be in your name and should be all you need to sell the car, but it varies state by state. You may be able to sell it just fine to a person in one state, while another state may put up more road blocks.

I would suggest you contact one of the guys on the cobra forum, since most of them register this way and might know of the nuances of selling a car across state lines. Wayne Presley might also be a good resource to ask because although he is not in Georgia, he builds cars and sells them to people all across the country. You are taking a very different path than I did so the cobra guys are going to be more knowledgeable than me on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. Thanks for the quick reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Oh my.... Doesn't look like I will get to drive my car this year. I was going to start this process on the 22nd May.

Martin
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Martin, you'll be driving this year, but it probably won't be until fall. Late summer if you are lucky.

Post Thanks / Like
    So apologies for resurrecting this thread, but it has the most pertinent info and on subject to my question

Has anyone in GA registered and titled a kit car with the MSO/MCO not in your name, but a Bill of Sale to prove transfer of ownership?

I called DOR DMV and they didn't really give me a good answer, stated I always could do a title bond. Talked to a oocal inspector and he said its 50/50 that I could register and title it. Asked him about Title Bond and his concern was that the car would need to have a previous title already.

reason to why I am asking is in here
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Gen-1-GTM-Kit

Thank you for any help, I really do want to snag this kit, but don't want to get stuck with a money pit that I can't legally drive.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would work with the original owner (who's name is on the MSO/MCO) and Factory Five and have Factory Five send you a new MSO/MCO in your name.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would work with the original owner (who's name is on the MSO/MCO) and Factory Five and have Factory Five send you a new MSO/MCO in your name.
    so the seller said he called FFR and stated they can't change the name on the MSO, i called and left a vmail today

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitely try to get in touch with FFR and ask them yourself. I'm SURE this has come up before.

Next thing would be to call Gordon Levy at Levy Racing and Wayne Presley at Very Cool Parts and ask them what they have done for this (they are both builders).

Last ditch effort would be to ask the seller for a bill of sale for the kit signed by both of you and preferably notorized, then simply include that in the packet you send off to the state.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitely try to get in touch with FFR and ask them yourself. I'm SURE this has come up before.

Next thing would be to call Gordon Levy at Levy Racing and Wayne Presley at Very Cool Parts and ask them what they have done for this (they are both builders).

Last ditch effort would be to ask the seller for a bill of sale for the kit signed by both of you and preferably notorized, then simply include that in the packet you send off to the state.
    Thank you Hindsight for your responses, trying FFR and DOR DMV again today, fingers crossed

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HerculezJT View Post
    Thank you Hindsight for your responses, trying FFR and DOR DMV again today, fingers crossed
    I wouldn't even bother with the DMV. Whatever answer you get from them is likely to be wrong anyway. That was my experience. They just don't do these enough to know the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well i was able to get a hold of two people at the Assemble/Rebuilt Title Division at the DOR DMV and they clearly stated that the Applicants Name has to be on the MSO/MCO to title an Assembled Vehicle. Called FFR and legally they cannot change the name on the MSO/MCO, so it looks like im SOL on an unfinished kit here in GA. Hope this info helps others in the state of GA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HerculezJT View Post
    Well i was able to get a hold of two people at the Assemble/Rebuilt Title Division at the DOR DMV and they clearly stated that the Applicants Name has to be on the MSO/MCO to title an Assembled Vehicle. Called FFR and legally they cannot change the name on the MSO/MCO, so it looks like im SOL on an unfinished kit here in GA. Hope this info helps others in the state of GA
    This is the kind of stupidity I expect out of California, but Georgia usually applies a little common sense to their regulations. My guess is that if you just go through the normal process it would fly right through, but that is an expense gamble I wouldn't take either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My advice: Try it anyways...They also say you have to have a title for your donor vehicle, which I didn't, but I submitted enough proof of purchase that whatever clerk was running the paperwork deemed it acceptable. Like hindsight said, get a notarized bill of sale and I would be it is very likely that they accept the application. I was nervous about mine and it went without a hitch.

Keep in mind the state primarily cares that things are not stolen and that they get all the taxes paid to them. If you check those two boxes the rest is somewhat trivial.
    Last edited by lsfourwheeler; 09-17-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR shot me down too when I bought my un-started kit and requested a new MSO.

re. California- it was simple, they never questioned the original MSO & a bill of sale, and require no OBD/smog. So chalk the SB100 process in "pro" column for the left coast.

Tough spot you're in with the chance of rejection on process down the road, but hard to let go if you really want it...
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Bringing up an old thread, because I'm looking into this and whether I want to avoid paying Annual Ad Valorem Tax and just pay the Title Ad Valorem Tax to go through the more difficult process. A thing to note on emissions in GA is you only need to pass that if you are in the 13 metro-Atlanta counties. I'll be in Madison or Oglethorpe so emissions doesn't apply. I don't know if the antique or hobby vehicle falls into the AAVT system or not.

For 2021 vehicle registration, if your vehicle is a 1997 – 2018 model year gasoline-powered car or light-duty truck (8,500 pounds gross vehicle weight rating or less) registered in Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding or Rockdale County, it must be emissions tested.

All that being said, I'm running into some conflicting information I've seen. I've read through the whole titling process for a kit car in Georgia. Paying TAVT on it once is fine. But how does the process I've seen of hobby antique work? It's a "replica" of an antique car, which from my research qualifies it, but there isn't a lot of great information available.
    Last edited by usafajk610; 06-07-2021 at 01:52 PM.