Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thread: Ontario Insurance 2016 Big Problems!

Thumbs up Ontario Insurance 2016 Big Problems!

Hi, I've got a few quotes for a Factory five - well, one quote, $4,800. I have a super clean record, live in Mississauga, clean license for 35+ years, aged 60. I'm told by Hagerty that "Factory Five is no longer insurable in Ontario" for ANY of the cars. Obviously $4,800 is ridiculous. Has anyone had success obtaining fresh insurance in 2016? It appears that those who had insurance already are grandfathered in, but for new builds, it seems like no dice. I just ordered a 289, but really do not want to pay $5,000 a year to drive 5,000 kms. I'll just buy a new Mustang and live with it.

Wow! That is sticker shock. Ontario does have ludicrous car insurance as mine was three times more expensive for the same cars I have here in Maine. Don't know what companies to turn to, hopefully someone in Ottawa or TO areas will chime in.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017.

try State Farm. I'm 1200 / year in Barrie, but you can put the policy to sleep over the winter
    Coupe 258, picked up Mar 11-06, The Jones build site

Try Zehr insurance in New hamburg and ask for Perry. I'm paying $500 a year
    519 662 1710

Hi, Willzy.

I just called Perry, really personable and knowledgeable guy, looks like under $500. I'll be picking up my USRRC 289 next month!

Thanks for the connection,

Jonathan

I also am with Perry at Zehr. He's great to deal with. Price should be about $500 / year with an appraised value around $65000. I am paying $867.

Have you had any luck with the insurance ? I'm looking to buy a kit but want to make sure that I can get insurance in ontario

Hi . Don't bother with Hagerty or Silver Wheels. Call Perry (see above). You can insure kit once you have it in your possession and car when completed. The car needs to be properly valued and policy starts at $400 up to $900 if the car is valued from $40,000 to $80,000. So YES insurance is available. I pick up my kit next month.
    [email protected]
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    289 USRRC in my garage, waiting for warmer weather. It's below freezing up here!
    Driven on track in FFR by Bob Bondurant himself in 2005, Phoeniz, AZ
    Build School May 2011 (Strongly recommended)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan427 View Post
    Hi . Don't bother with Hagerty or Silver Wheels. Call Perry (see above). You can insure kit once you have it in your possession and car when completed. The car needs to be properly valued and policy starts at $400 up to $900 if the car is valued from $40,000 to $80,000. So YES insurance is available. I pick up my kit next month.
    What kit are you ordering ? Are you going down to puck it up ?

Quote Originally Posted by Padu View Post
    What kit are you ordering ? Are you going down to puck it up ?
    HI. I ordered the 289 USRRC which I'll be picking up next month. I have a trailer which I'll drive from Mississauga. What's your plan?
    [email protected]
    289 USRRC in my garage, waiting for warmer weather. It's below freezing up here!

I'm torn between a 33 or a cobra. I'm from Toronto also

Greetings all,

New to the forum, but thought I would update on this thread.

Sadly, Perry from Zehr passed away recently. Kurtis is now dealing with the FFR kits. He is currently trying to find a solution for the 818, which is proving more challenging as it is not a replica (this combined with the ESC issue has me seriously sweating).

Kurtis said they regularly insure Cobras, and have recently insured the hot rod and GTM. The GTM was a bit of a challenge, but was overcome under the consideration of it being a replica.

I will keep all posted on the insurance progress.

Cheers,

Hi Angelo here. Live Richmond Hill Ontario. I had three classic cars with Hagerty and was paying about 850 for all three combined. Then Aug of '16 I got the Cobra and Hagerty didn't charge me 4500 or 5000. They didn't want it at all. My broker found me Chubb classic car insurance. My Cobra was professionally appraised at over $100g and Chubb offered to insure the Cobra but only if I gave them the other three cars as well. All 4 of them for $760. What do you think I said....to them and then what I said to Hagerty.

Any updates on insuring the 818C?

I feel ya Angelo, my old insurer tried that with my Harley, at renewal they wanted the Mustang, the Grand Cherokee, the house AND the cottage if I wanted the FatBoy renewed.
    No tickets, no accidents and 54 yrs old - know why? Cuz in the People's Republic of Ontario you have to have vehicle insurance. Ever miss a life insurance payment? They call, polite as hell, apologize for bothering you, tell you there's no trouble and ask you to pay them "when you can" because we don't have to have life insurance.....my Pop pays $32 month to Hagerty on his 75 Jag, he sent me the link and middle of first paragraph in huge red letters " We do not insure Cobra Replicas"
    Insurance Companies - one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
    Ok rant over -just nobody say Hydro One - lol

Scott

K******* w***
    [email protected]