FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: hidden trunk storage

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb hidden trunk storage

I had a local sheet metal guy fab up a box to fit under the upper floor of my trunk. He also made a lid that isn't shown but will be hinged and have a good lock. It gives me a second level of security for valuables like a hand gun. When I showed it to Tim Whittaker of Kootenai Valley Customs he mentioned that he could build these for members of the forum. You can reach Tim at [email protected] if you're interested.

20160921_165457.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be curious to know what the liquid volume was on that tray. Feel like pouring water in it and reporting back?
    The 33 fuel tank sits way too high to fill properly so I'm wondering how much height could be lopped off of the tank if it had a sump like that.
    That would be a real good start to fixing that problem.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    20160924_164006.jpg
    well, my whale tells me he is floating on a little over two gallon orange juice bottles of water.. the box is 4.5" deep and the long side is 24". Now, how do I get the damn water out? Sheesh, what a dummy., seeya.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shop vac, my man. Or a really thirsty great dane. Those do the trick.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Easier to do the math. 231 cubic inches to a gallon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the volume test. The whale was a nice touch.
    There wasn't enough dimensions given up front for a remote calculation so I figured it was dealers choice on a math vs liquid test.
    I deleted the tank from my order so I don't have the size here. Now if Naz will just tell us how much shorter the FF tank would be
    or post the size of one my question will be answered. I suspect it would still be minimal so the F-B dimension of the tank would likely
    need to be increased as well to make the top of the tank low enough to fill properly. BUGS ME that FF hasn't fixed the fill issue yet.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps someone will provide dims and we can figure out how much to shorten the tank. I'm using a fuel cell (rather large one at 18-gal) and not really interested in a trunk for my purposes. Let's see if I can attach photos. Fuel Cell (2).pngIMG_0570.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Naz
    Nicely done, looks like you will need to use my Mazda trunk hinge mod on yours too since that cell won't allow the big hoopdie trunk hinges from FF to swing.
    It's shown in the gallery on one or both forums IIRC

Brave Salmon;
    Sorry for all the thread jacking here, your idea is nice and very well executed. Keep posting as you go, I love to see the different paths taken and all the side trips
    that evolve like this one where we share our ideas as we build our dreams.
    Dale Berry
    7Litre hemi 33

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still curious as to how you got the water out? Did you have to flip the car over?

Post Thanks / Like
    Brave Salmon, clever idea. Consider coating the inside with bed liner or at least something thick like trunk spatter paint. Anything you store in bare aluminum will get that black oxide all over it. Bed liners like LineX or Rhino Liner works the best as items left in the box while driving will scratch off thinner coatings such as rattle can paint. Aluminum oxide is like dye and will make anything it touches look nasty. If you have black rubber grips on your pistol you won't see the oxide but it will transfer from the grips to your shirt.

Dale, thanks for the tip on the hinges. It looks like the big FFR hingers will clear for my application as my body is mounted 1" higher at the back to get the required angle on the main hoop rear braces.