Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rivet Spacing

Post Thanks / Like

Rivet Spacing

Not having my kit yet, I was wondering how you guys determine the rivet spacing on your panels.
    I can see scaling rivets per inch or dividing the given space by a number of rivets. Seems like there should be a quick and easy method, I am not hitting on.
    While on the subject of rivets, any of you completed car owners, want to unload your clecos and pliers? They are not expensive, but not many uses, unless you do a lot of sheet metal work. I would be interested in procuring any available.
    Thanks,

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow the rivet schedule and guide that comes with the kit and you won't go wrong.
    Keep them neat and straight and a professional look you will have in the end.
    Sorry, but I LOVE MY CLECOS and plan to keep them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Railroad,
    It's a been over ten years for me since my roadster build, but I recall using a roll of masking tape (IIRC it was 1" wide, maybe 3/4").

I simply drilled holes evenly spaced (every 2" or so) AROUND the outer circumference of the roll of tape.

Then, simply unroll some tape and as you lay it on the aluminum you'll have a drilling pattern already laid out!

HTH,
    Will
    FFR MK III picked up 9/24/05 Roller 9/28/05 First start & go-cart 11/28/05 red w/white stripes, PC Chassis, heat/defrost, FFR 15's, pwr footbox vents, radio delete, dual quad 427W, 4 link w/3.27's, Koni's all around, Gen 1 rag top, snapless tonneau, Herb's door panels, NRC rear discs, Breeze head rest, ********** emblems, Paint by Gino's in Rowley, MA
    2011 ffcars.com calendar Cover Car Yes, that's me in the avatar with Dave Smith in front of my roadster at the '06 FFR Open House!

Post Thanks / Like
    There is am aluminum template that comes in the kit. Panel to panel is every 2" I believe and panel to frame is every 3".
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Not having my kit yet, I was wondering how you guys determine the rivet spacing on your panels.
    I can see scaling rivets per inch or dividing the given space by a number of rivets. Seems like there should be a quick and easy method, I am not hitting on.
    While on the subject of rivets, any of you completed car owners, want to unload your clecos and pliers? They are not expensive, but not many uses, unless you do a lot of sheet metal work. I would be interested in procuring any available.
    Thanks,
    1-inch side x 24-inch long piece of elastic band. Marked every inch with a permanent marker. Cleco/clamp etc. the band down where you want the first rivet to be and stretch the band. The spacing adjusts automatically for you.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    There is am aluminum template that comes in the kit. Panel to panel is every 2" I believe and panel to frame is every 3".
    There is a template, and it's often quite useful. However, I often "fudged" the spacing to even things out over a panel. If the panel was short enough, I fudged by eye. If not, I used a tape measure and long division.

One of the smartest solutions I've hear of to this problem is to use a length of elastic. Make marks 1 1/2" apart, stretch the elastic so that it looks right, and mark the panels accordingly.

John

EDIT: Doggone it; looks like Ray beat me to the punch while I was still typing!
    Last edited by phileas_fogg; 09-29-2016 at 12:16 PM.
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    I did all mine with 2" spacing

Post Thanks / Like
    Did mine entirely with the FFR Aluminum template that came with the car. Worked great. To quote an old mentor of mine, "Don't make a project out of it"! FFR's simple solution works great.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Did mine entirely with the FFR Aluminum template that came with the car. Worked great....}
    Yep. I've been using the same one for years but here's a tip----that aluminum plate really disappears when you lay it down among the other uncoated panels. If you paint a couple of stripes on it you'll save save yourself a lot of frustration and saying "Where the heck did that thing go?"

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Been using one of these since long before FFR existed.
    RFST10.JPG
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Huh..no FFR rivet template back when I built my roadster..They're making it to easy for you new builders.

I have a pretty good eye for distances, and just drilled them all by eye. I spot checked every now and again with a tape measure, and they were just as good as if I had measured them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    RFST10.JPG
    Me too. Works great and pretty cheap. You always have consistent spacing for us anal retentive guys.
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    RFST10.JPG
    I like that! Running short on time this morn, will google later. Thanks for the tips.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    1-inch side x 24-inch long piece of elastic band. Marked every inch with a permanent marker. Cleco/clamp etc. the band down where you want the first rivet to be and stretch the band. The spacing adjusts automatically for you.

Ray
    X2 and old pair of briefs and a sharpy. 1" spacing in one side and 1.5" on the other
    image.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvaz View Post
    I recall using a roll of masking tape.

I simply drilled holes evenly spaced (every 2" or so) AROUND the outer circumference of the roll of tape.

Then, simply unroll some tape and as you lay it on the aluminum you'll have a drilling pattern already laid out!
    That's what I did also.
    Just keep in mind every rivet in the cockpit will be covered up so don't go crazy obsessive over the spacing.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Expanding rivet spacers are available at lots of aircraft supply houses - I bought mine from Aircraft Spruce.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvaz View Post
    I recall using a roll of masking tape (IIRC it was 1" wide, maybe 3/4"). I simply drilled holes evenly spaced (every 2" or so) AROUND the outer circumference of the roll of tape. Then, simply unroll some tape and as you lay it on the aluminum you'll have a drilling pattern already laid out!l
    As you use tape, and get further down on the roll of tape, weren't the holes getting closer, and closer together?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    As you use tape, and get further down on the roll of tape, weren't the holes getting closer, and closer together?
    Yes, but only fractionally. A typical roll of tape only has about an inch of tape, so the effect is negligible. You can't tell by looking.
    Another advantage to the tape method is the simplicity and the ease of use.
    Again, the vast majority of rivets are covered up anyway.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Just do it, lol don't worry about it. Use the template threat us newbies get, I promise before you are done the rivet placement is the least of your problems in a build. But it is an awesome experience!! I have loved every minute of it.
    Mk4 # 8834 delivered 03/20/16 2015 IRS wildwood brake upgrade, 18"x9" front 18"X11" rear halibrand wheels, 390 FE, tko600

Post Thanks / Like
    Changing subjects a little, will 100 clecos be enough?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes 100 will be more than enough.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought 50. I had them all in use at some points but it was never where I had to have more. They hold so good I could steal some from other areas and put in new holes in the area I was working if needed.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    There's an excellent book still available written by Carroll Smith called, "Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners' and Plumbing Handbook". I don't have the book in front of me. But IIRC, the correct spacing is 2-4 x the width of the rivet head for structural joints - like foot boxes. For no-structural joints - like trunk floor and side - you can extend that out a little further.

I used a simple drawing compass to mark the distance; it works well, and I already owned it. Then a small spring loaded punch. Use a #30 drill bit, and dip it in cutting oil often. I also bought a drill bit sharpener, and used it often. That really makes the job easier.

If you decide to use a bead roller, do that before you mark and drill the holes. The bead roller can change the shape of the panel slightly.

I think I bought about 25 or so 1/8 clecos, and that was plenty for me. I also bought a few 3/16" clecos, and they did come in handy once in a while. Not truly necessary, but useful. I still use the clecos for a lot of little projects, so don't get rid of them.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. This stuff really helps me get a grasp on things. I have to get started building the body buck and shuffle a few more things around in the barn (shop). Stewart's shipping eta is 10-06. I have the wife and a friend primed to help me with the inventory.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah. I did our build with a dozen or so.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Used the "elastic" tool many times. Just cut the waist band off a pair of underwear, mark at 1" increments and stretch as needed. Clamp it down and hit the spots with a center punch.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.