Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Build advice

Post Thanks / Like

Build advice

Really liking the idea of building a 33 lately, what sounds good in my head is an LS7 with an LS9 supercharger. Any issues with fitting that in?

Any advice on what I could do for traction control? Race logic seems to not sell their units any more :/
    Seems like I'd need FAST or motec or something full standalone?

Also I don't know what I'd do for transmission. Thoughts? Is an auto out of the question?

Post Thanks / Like
    Did some more research, but really only came up with more questions. Any advice/answers/suggestions appreciated.

Seems like I should go with an LSX w/ SC. I'd also like to do a dry sump, any possible issues with that?

FAST seems like the way to go for TC. Seems like I'd need the harnesses and driveshaft sensor too (also, the 102 throttle body looks nice?). Anyone have experience with this combo?

TCI has this transmission that sounds good, and I like the paddle shifters: http://www.tciauto.com/tc/6x-six-spe...le-shifterhtml. But a local builder warns me away from TCI. Anyone else feel similar? I think I could use any transmission and mate it with their paddle shifter and the FAST tranny controller.

Is it basically true that I can use any rear end, and have a machine shop make an adapter if required?

Finally, if I want to use bigger brakes up front (14 inch), I'd need bigger wheels obviously, but any other considerations?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello There BlackSunshine.

What are you plans for the car - Primarily Track or Street?
    Having finished one for Street I can share with you my experiences.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    BlackSunshine, be advised that this is a small car that presents a challenge when adding items such as external oil pumps & tanks to support a dry sump system. I have a SBC in mine and the frame rails are so tight at the front that I opted not to even try to run a full size alternator in the lower position like you can in some other cars. If you did manage to stuff a dry sump pump in there you might have trouble servicing it. The 3.5" exhaust for my SBC won't fit where FFR designed space for a 2.5" exhaust. If you run a 2.5" exhaust on that LS7 you are wasting $$ buying a high-dollar / hi-performance engine then choking it down. If you are serious about high-performance you should plan to make many mods to accommodate the support systems. On my build, the only unmodified FFR kit items are in front of the firewall. The entire chassis behind the firewall has been recreated to accommodate the performance mods I incorporated into my build. These cars can be built from mild to wild depending on what you want. Stay with the FFR street rod theme and the build is not too tough. Stray into the wild side and you can expect the build to be much more complicated and expensive.
    Last edited by NAZ; 10-11-2016 at 09:23 AM.