Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Heat in the footwells

Post Thanks / Like

Heat in the footwells

Now that we have about 450 miles on our 818 we have a little problem to solve. The wives are complaining that their lower legs and feet are getting too hot. Since the hot water tube runs up the passenger side, the passenger side gets quite a bit warmer than the driver side. Last night we measured about 110 degrees around the passenger side dead pedal with both dynamat and carpet in the car.

Does anyone have any thoughts on either further insulating that area of the footwell or getting some air movement in there so the air in the footwell doesn't get so warm?

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    You could make a cutout where the fender liner meets the side sail and insert a mesh grill to keep rocks out. I can take a picture of the car thats at iWire right now. It would solve your problem but only if your willing to let water into your side sail if you hit puddles or rain. There would be airflow over the pipes going down the length of the car. It wouldn't cool the dead pedal but would help a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Michael and I ride in the passenger side all the time. Never noticed any heat in the foot well area. I have a hard time believing that heat is coming through the dynamat and carpet.
    Is it possible that hot air from the radiator is coming over the front firewall.?
    The engine bay is higher pressure than the cockpit. So any leaks in the side sails to cockpit is hot air. The side sails should be blocked off at the rear firewall.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll do more checking but I'm pretty sure the heat is coming from the dead pedal area. When my wife put her purse and jacket on the floor in that area she was more comfortable and when we stopped her purse was warm. IR thermometer said dead pedal was 110 and the temp dropped off pretty quickly when moved away from there.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know if your tube in that specific area is touching against the dead pedal's alu panel or is it away slightly?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look at a Thermo-Tec 14500 Cool-Air Tube Heat Shield. Might solve your problem for about $60.

Post Thanks / Like
    You wrote, "the wives are complaining" so I must ask how many wives you have. My only wife makes sarcastic comments about the time and money I'm spending on my 818 so I can only imagine multiples of that from all your wives. Heat is the least of your problems.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    You wrote, "the wives are complaining" so I must ask how many wives you have. My only wife makes sarcastic comments about the time and money I'm spending on my 818 so I can only imagine multiples of that from all your wives. Heat is the least of your problems.
    That really is one of the funniest reply I've seen. There is actually no problem with heat in the dead pedal.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    That really is one of the funniest reply I've seen. There is actually no problem with heat in the dead pedal.
    haha it really is an excellent reply.

K3LAG-- I echo what Bob said. I've ridden shotgun and haven't heard complaints or felt that myself. Are you sure the epicenter of the heat is the dead pedal/coolant lines?
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Drive when it's cooler and the heat will be welcome😉

Post Thanks / Like
    I figured someone would make a crack about the 'wives' statement. My best friend Dave and I built the car together and both of our wives have complained. I could have said 'Our wives' but then you all wouldn't have something to get a chuckle out of.

I'll have to take a closer look to see if the tube is touching the aluminum or not. I don't remember it touching but it's worth checking.

Keep the ideas coming but I won't get a chance to look at it for at least a few days.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC7492 View Post
    Drive when it's cooler and the heat will be welcome��
    I agree, it's a feature. I'd add a layer of insulation in the area for when it is hot and simply remove it when you want some heat in the area. Mine has some heat there but it isn't much due to my 1/8 inch foam covered with high grade vinyl.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it possible to add a vent for fresh air to the foot-wells? This would increase the pressure in the **** pit and provide some cooling on hot days.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would check the panel under the dash where it blocks off up to the windshield frame. Before I install that and sealed it off I would get a ton of heat coming off the radiator. It was so much I thought about installing a slide vent to get some warmth in the cabin when it was cooler outside. Also make sure you installed the edge bulb gasket on that panel to seal it off. Just a thought as to why you may be getting the heat. I also have not noticed any heat coming through foot well from the coolant tubs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I'm planning on it. I'm using a system used by the Cobra crowd using parts based on a former vendor Cobra Earl.

https://www.google.com/search?q=inst..._AUIBigC&dpr=1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flynntuna; 10-03-2016 at 06:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had a chance to test drive it yet, but we did find a few unsealed spots in the front firewall. Supposed to get some nice weather this week so I should get a chance to get it out for a bit.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not tested for this problem but I did use the foam from the donor car and packed the dead pedal area. Before I installed the dead pedals I thought that this would be a potential problem. Will post result soon, started body work this week. Gocarted down the street once.
    Charlie