Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shorty headers/ J pipe install question

Post Thanks / Like

Shorty headers/ J pipe install question

When installing the J pipes to the headers I have a couple questions:
    1. Does the gap where my finger is close completely up? Dont want to force anything or over tighten
    2. I don't appear to have a gasket or anything in the kit.(I do have the J pipe to side pipe gaskets) Does this just go metal to metal or do you put anything in between?
    3. The bolts thread up into the header flange but I have no nuts included. Should I add a nut, thread lock or anything?

Thanks
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    No gasket. Ball section seals against header by pressure. Joint can loosen due to the weight of the side pipe. Good plan to support the J-pipe by a link to the square chassis tube above it.

Some exhaust hanger material & turn buckles work well. No leaks in over a year. Prior to supporting had to reset it a couple times in 6 months.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    No gasket. Ball section seals against header by pressure. Joint can loosen due to the weight of the side pipe. Good plan to support the J-pipe by a link to the square chassis tube above it.

Some exhaust hanger material & turn buckles work well. No leaks in over a year. Prior to supporting had to reset it a couple times in 6 months.
    Ok thanks and what about tightening to close the gap?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not working on my kit yet, but have done a lot of exhaust on Ford hot rods, which use the ball and cup seal. I usually paint the mating surfaces with a light touch of anti seize. I do this so, in theory the mating surfaces will move to their optimal seat position without binding and requiring more re tightening. I have used this with 02s and cats, no issues. Hope this helps. I pull the gaps closed and snug them down. You can watch the flanges. You do not need to bend them for it to seal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    I am not working on my kit yet, but have done a lot of exhaust on Ford hot rods, which use the ball and cup seal. I usually paint the mating surfaces with a light touch of anti seize. I do this so, in theory the mating surfaces will move to their optimal seat position without binding and requiring more re tightening. I have used this with 02s and cats, no issues. Hope this helps. I pull the gaps closed and snug them down. You can watch the flanges. You do not need to bend them for it to seal.
    Thanks but I am a little confused with this answer. You say you pull the gaps closed but you don't need to bend them for it to seal. The only way it is going to close is by bending them isn't it? Can I get some clarification please?

Post Thanks / Like
    The flanges do not meet one another Scott.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The flanges do not meet one another Scott.

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff!

Post Thanks / Like
    The factory set up on my 4.6 sohc used a bronze crush-gasket, for lack of a better term, between the ball and the pipe flange on the driver's side, and I've used one on my j-pipe as well. (The passenger side has a gasket sandwiched between two flanges-no ball) I don't see the bronze lip in the picture above, and it may not be necessary for war-eagle's engine combination.
    Mk 4 roadster #8495 delivered on 12-23-2014. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...r-Build-Thread Carbureted 4.6 SOHC, C-4 auto with manual valve body. Fox width rear with 2.73 gear. First start video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8ie...ature=youtu.be

Post Thanks / Like
    The gap between the flanges won't close. You simply need to make sure the ball is seated firmly in the socket and tightened enough that there is no exhaust leak. You certainly don't want/need the flanges to meet.

Post Thanks / Like
    During my first start - I had a nice seal at that junction, however, after a couple of start cycles and go karting - she leaked on the passenger side. Just tightened and it dissipated...

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Thanks but I am a little confused with this answer. You say you pull the gaps closed but you don't need to bend them for it to seal. The only way it is going to close is by bending them isn't it? Can I get some clarification please?
    I confused the bolt flanges with the ball and cup. The ball and cup will mate up. The flanges are not positioned to touch. You would loose your clamping ability. Sorry for my misstating the terms.