Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone experimented with gearing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Scargo, nope, no sale, I'll own J-Lo forever as a toy! I'm running stock 16's now with tire dia 24.8 or so with 225-50-16 in the rear the front's don't matter re gearing for each ratio, top speed in each gear is listed with the stock 05 WRX gearing and a 3.9 diff 68 and change in 2nd, just short of 100 in 3rd, almost 140 in 4th the car is not slippery enough for my engines HP (about 240 to the wheels) to pull 181 MPH at redline in 5th I'm guessing with the CD and cross section of my 818 155 -160 would be max speed
    Speaking of coefficient of drag calculations.
    Our car measured 195 whp on a conservative dyno.
    At out last track day the data log shows we accelerated from 95 to 118mph in 5.25 seconds. I suspect our car to be near 2200 lbs with driver. I estimate tire rolling reistance at 0.015.
    Does anyone know an online calculator that will take this info and spit out coefficient of drag ?
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    LGT 5 speed trannys are cheap because a lot of LGT guys swap in the 6 speed, especially for drag racing. If you are doing hard launches you probably need a 6 speed in your 818 too, but if you are tracking/ road racing / street driving the 5 speed should be a better choice.
    If you want a LGT 5 speed let me know and I'll watch for them on the LGT forum for you. I'm pretty active on the Legacy forum.
    It's easy to add a tranny cooler to a 5 speed too, covered in another thread.
    But note, they don't come stock with an LSD. Every once in a awhile one comes up for sale with an LSD already installed.
    Hey Sgt. Gator, just read your thread of 11/04/16 and am looking for a LGT 5 speed for my 818R. I am running a 07 5mt and want to have another trans. ready when this one bites the dust. I've read that the LGT is a stronger trans than 07 5mt, is this correct? I have'nt quite finished the car yet but am running 348 RWHP. If you could keep your eye out for one I'd greatly appreciate it . Thank you, NorCal Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to revisit the history and stir the pot as Devil's Advocate... didn't FFR's car break its five speed early on with <300 WHP? Haven't others broken their stock 5-MT gears on the track? I know of one or more who have broken them doing hard launches with 300+ FPT. I estimate that an ST2 (8:1 P/WR) could make over 300 FPT.

What I don't know is how many trannys were stock LGT's . Also, what I don't know is who has had success with a stock case and aftermarket beefy gears. What happens to a stock LGT tranny when you add a LSD?

Was just looking at the Sadev transaxles. So expensive. Would be so much fun to have a sequential paddle shift car!
    Last edited by Scargo; 12-15-2016 at 03:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    For ST 2 my R comes in at 260hp and around 2000lb

Post Thanks / Like
    20170101_144458_resized_1.jpg20170101_144506_resized_1.jpg20170101_144514_resized.jpg20170101_144525_resized.jpg20170101_145129_resized.jpg20170101_145435_resized.jpg
    Hey I just changed my 5th gear in my 5 speed. I noticed at the track above 120mph once I had to go to 5th the call quit pulling. On the big tracks we have in my area they have real long straights so need a car that will pull all the way down the straight away. With my tire size 265 in the rear and 4.11 in the trans it could run 170+ which I will never see. I changed the two gears at the back of the trans to a more track friendly .871 ration instead of the .74 the trans came with. Wasn't hard to change and I had the trans out waiting on my new motor anyway. I didn't even have to take the back cover off just removed the motor mount and back section of the trans. Only need like 3 sockets, a couple punches, and something to make a flame once you get to the gears. The bottom gear is pressed on but with some heat it slid right off. Anyway I put a picture of the stock Subaru part number for the gear set if anyone else wants to try. Cost me like $110 to my door.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought an ej207 with a 5sp trans. According to the code book I have a TY754VB1BA .
    Here is what I found ( link to info ) http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPa...ission%20Chart

Says mine is from a JDM Impreza WRX RA & RA Ltd. MY99-00 5sp Pull Clutch.
    3.083 2.062 1.545 1.151 0.825 3.333(rev) 1.000(TR ?) 4.444(final) Center Diff type Viscous (4kgf) Front Diff type OPEN

Asking for advise on this. Planning on the 350+ WHP. Do I just get a Quaife lsd and leave the rest ? or should I at least get 1st/2nd PPG gears also.
    Our nearest track is 2 hours away, so it may see the course some day. This is mainly for street, and I think the first 2 gears will take the most abuse.
    Lastly,just skip this all together and find a LGT trans ?
    Thanks for your input,
    "E"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by taco20 View Post
    ... Only need like 3 sockets, a couple punches, and something to make a flame once you get to the gears. The bottom gear is pressed on but with some heat it slid right off...
    Unless you consider the gear coming off as junk I suggest you do not heat the gear with a flame. How do you put the new gear on without a press? Some parts are combined by heating one component (evenly and slowly) and applying it to a cold shaft (like a VW oil pump drive gear) but I've never seen this recommended for a transmission gear assembly. These are hardened gears!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    Unless you consider the gear coming off as junk I suggest you do not heat the gear with a flame. How do you put the new gear on without a press? Some parts are combined by heating one component (evenly and slowly) and applying it to a cold shaft (like a VW oil pump drive gear) but I've never seen this recommended for a transmission gear assembly. These are hardened gears!
    Hey it wasn't that tight. I just tapped the gear on with a piece of wood. You could always just start the gear and use the nut to pull it into place. I tried to cut a grove in the original gear to crack it but had no luck so just heated it up, at that point the old gear was junk to me. Why would you want to put it back on in the first place?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    What I don't know is how many trannys were stock LGT's . Also, what I don't know is who has had success with a stock case and aftermarket beefy gears. What happens to a stock LGT tranny when you add a LSD?
    I'd like to know this as well since I plan to use the LGT tranny with a Torsen LSD and 3.7 FD at 322hp. The 3.7 FD will make 1-4 about 5-10mph taller.
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought an ej207 with a 5sp trans. According to the code book I have a TY754VB1BA .

We have two of those, and if I were you, I would keep it as is with the inclusion of an LSD. Now, ours is a race car, so we rebuild constantly, so we decided to go with a clutch type LSD, so that we can tune the thing, and, we want drive to at least one wheel just in case we get stopped on a curb (torsen type lsd's have no drive if one wheel is off the ground, so I've read). For a street/track day car, the Torsen type is a good choice.

We love the gear box, pulls to 7200rpm with 260ish WHP on our car and the rpm drop is perfect. Can't wait for our +60hp tune and lsd.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFHeF03KE4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12