Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818c A pillar

Post Thanks / Like

818c A pillar

What's the trick to getting the junction of the A pillar/hood and fender to come together?

And does it look like the A pillar was cut to high on mine?IMG_6441.JPGIMG_6444.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you push down the front -window frame & A pillars of your hard top using the adjustments in the slotted portion of the bolt holes?

I had about 1/2" adjustability front/back & up/down when I installed mine and used that to fine tune the alignment of the A pillars to the fenders.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    It's down all the way in the pic, the diver side cut is 1/2 lower than the passenger side

Post Thanks / Like
    I trimmed my tabs off to fit the new front end, you still have yours on I see.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also trimmed the extra material off the fenders. I think if you keep the fender mounts loose and the windshield mount bolts loose (loose, but tight enough that things stay where you put them), you'll be able to find a place where it looks good. Of course, the side sails should be in position securely in proper location as they locate the bottom of the fenders. I also checked to see how on-center my wheel hubs were in the front and rear openings. I have read that others clamp the nose/grill in place also to set that positioning.

One other thing I noticed on my side sails....they have a bit of a set to the shape which requires me to push down fairly hard on the door sill/rocker area. The three pictures show a bubble level on my roll bar to ensure car is level for reference, and then the top face of the door sills on the side sails. Note how un-level the surface is until I put my body weight on it (220lbs). Now, this may not be necessary, but it does impact the final location of the fender (they are bolted together), and also, it would tend to force water in towards car due to the slope. Also, my doors are tight enough that I think the extra clearance is worth getting.

I think if I hold the sails down while drilling to the frame along the sides of the car, I will get some of this leveled out, though I doubt I will get all of it, some will flex back.

Sorry so long winded!

-Ben
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the input, I did trim the extra material off the fenders and things are fitting better.......im worried that the A pillar is cut to high tho. guess ill have to wait and see now that all the "must Have" alignment points are set up. Ill put the roof back on soon and see

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have the pieces that you cut off for reference?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UnhipPopano View Post
    Do you have the pieces that you cut off for reference?

I didint cut anything off the a pillar, the fenders are all i cut.....ill see if I can find the part I cut off

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a product called 'kitty hair' and others that are stranded fiberglass in resin that you mix hardener into, like bondo. It can be used to rebuild bulk areas and is easily filed and sanded to shape. Down side is you'd have to apply the gelcoat layer, or paint the area. Point is you can fix if cut too much, though I am fairly certain you will get it all to line up acceptably!

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    There is a product called 'kitty hair' and others that are stranded fiberglass in resin that you mix hardener into, like bondo. It can be used to rebuild bulk areas and is easily filed and sanded to shape. Down side is you'd have to apply the gelcoat layer, or paint the area. Point is you can fix if cut too much, though I am fairly certain you will get it all to line up acceptably!

Good luck.

Thanks, if it don't line up I'll look into that. If it is cut to high tho hopefully F5 will make it right. Don't think I should spend so much money on a kit for it to be messed up that bad from the factory.