Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Cell in the Front

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Cell in the Front

I saw a picture of an 818R with a fuel cell up front between the wheels (I think it was Bob_n_Cincy). What are the pros/cons of doing this in a street car? I'd really like to claim the space behind the seats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reduced capacity, better weight distribution, huge increase in risk of fire if you had a front-end impact. Personally, I would not consider it. Perhaps, with a smallish, custom, race approved fuel cell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I'm mostly concerned about fire, just not sure if I was being paranoid. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

gas tank protection.

Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    I saw a picture of an 818R with a fuel cell up front between the wheels (I think it was Bob_n_Cincy). What are the pros/cons of doing this in a street car? I'd really like to claim the space behind the seats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    Reduced capacity, better weight distribution, huge increase in risk of fire if you had a front-end impact. Personally, I would not consider it. Perhaps, with a smallish, custom, race approved fuel cell.
    Yeah, I'm mostly concerned about fire, just not sure if I was being paranoid. Thanks.
    wash: I added a heavy steel bumper 18" in front of my front tank to protect it in a frontal crash.
    Pro: 14" x 19" tank is less susceptible to full starvation than 40" ffr tank.
    Pro: 6'3" 300# people fit comfortably in car with front tank.
    Pro: Front Gas tank is not near hot headers.
    Con: Longer fuel and return lines to front of car.
    wash: my 14 gal front tank is around the same size as FFR tank. (not sure on the ffr tank)
    con: FFR tank is closer to CG of car, doesn't effect handling full or empty.
    Pro: Holley makes a Hydramat to fit my front tank.

Sorry if I'm biased.
    I really had no choice as we could not fit in the car with the FFR Tank.
    Bob

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-09-2016 at 12:48 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    That does look pretty sweet

Post Thanks / Like
    Drove a VW Beetle with 10 gallons right in front of my knees and a questionable front crashworthy structure for 10 years. Still here laughing about it.

I also opted for the increased interior room associated with moving the tank to the front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blwalker105 View Post
    Drove a VW Beetle with 10 gallons right in front of my knees and a questionable front crashworthy structure for 10 years. Still here laughing about it...
    I had a VW and a Porsche catch on fire in the rear. Not sure if that makes either of us smart; only lucky. I've been unlucky and accidentally set myself on fire while working on a car. That's not one I look back on and laugh about. It's all perspective and odds. I'm pretty cautious around gas.
    I'm not fond of the squareish stock FFR gas tank or where it's located.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've opted for the front tank setup too. If you think about it, you're basically sitting on the fuel tank if you keep the FFR setup. My tank capacity is around 13 gal and resides within the wheelbase. Boyd welding uses .12 thick aluminum for their tanks and they build scratch-free tanks, something I've never been able to do! Aluminium seems to scratch by itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep going back and forth on this one. Fortunately, I haven't ordered anything yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    I've opted for the front tank setup too. If you think about it, you're basically sitting on the fuel tank if you keep the FFR setup. My tank capacity is around 13 gal and resides within the wheelbase. Boyd welding uses .12 thick aluminum for their tanks and they build scratch-free tanks, something I've never been able to do! Aluminium seems to scratch by itself.
    So if you have an R the safest place for the fuel cell is in the cockpit since it is with in the structural roll cage, if put up front it's out the cage and much less safe no matter how you look at it
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    The supports that Bob welded in look pretty stout.

Post Thanks / Like
    The supports that Bob welded in look pretty stout.
    Its not in the roll cage, I would not trust it for wheel to wheel racing
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't race, and I haven't seen any video of Bob going wheel-to-wheel. But I see your point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    Its not in the roll cage, I would not trust it for wheel to wheel racing
    I hit Armco at a 45° angle at 110 and buckled the firewall on my STi. The car was totalled. I'm just surmising that a square tank with welded seams and no bladder might well have ruptured. Not punctured, mind you, but a 90° weld cracked or broken. There's a reason most steel tanks are bulbous.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that any tanks like FFR or Boyd go through any destructive testing or certification process. A bladder inside changes the game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you seen any that would fit behind the seat? They all look mostly cuboid from what I've seen. So legit fuel cell up front vs FFR tank behind the seats....? Is that your point?

Post Thanks / Like
    My point is I'm concerned about the safety of some tanks. Boyd tanks are not made to meet any standards and I assume FFRs are not either. There are some poly tanks that I would think would be safer but I've yet to see any that would work behind the seats.

Since I'm racing I will use a certified and approved fuel cell and have it in the passenger area. Sometimes I wished I had an engineering degree so I could make better, educated guesses. The car is light/the core frame is strong. It has that going for it. If it were hit, it might move easily and not absorb much energy. OTOH, if it hit an immovable object things could be far different. Things are packaged tightly. It is not crash tested. There's not much to absorb energy in the rear if rear-ended. I'm doing a lot of thinking outloud, so to speak. Didn't mean to be a Debbie Downer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you seen any that would fit behind the seat? They all look mostly cuboid from what I've seen. So legit fuel cell up front vs FFR tank behind the seats....? Is that your point?
    My fuel cell was designed to fit behind my seat, holds 14 gals, very well made from Harmon Racing Cells, 2 pumps, slosh tank
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    In all of the posts in this thread, no one has addressed the Free Surface Effect [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_surface_effect] on lateral weight shift. For racing, both the F5 and Boyd tanks are not the shape you would want as they allow the maximum lateral movement of the fuel.

For road use, the design as it is, is far better than Ford's for the Pinto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UnhipPopano View Post
    In all of the posts in this thread, no one has addressed the Free Surface Effect [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_surface_effect] on lateral weight shift. For racing, both the F5 and Boyd tanks are not the shape you would want as they allow the maximum lateral movement of the fuel.

For road use, the design as it is, is far better than Ford's for the Pinto.
    This is one reason why my FIA fuel cell has a bladder and foam filled bladder to minimize weight shift and slosh
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    My point is I'm concerned about the safety of some tanks. Boyd tanks are not made to meet any standards and I assume FFRs are not either. There are some poly tanks that I would think would be safer but I've yet to see any that would work behind the seats....Didn't mean to be a Debbie Downer.
    I appreciate the out-loud thinking. No reason to think you're being a downer. I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who thought the fuel tank was kind of dinky. I'd rather spend the extra cash on a real fuel cell if I have to be that close to it anyway. Just haven't seen any suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    My fuel cell was designed to fit behind my seat, holds 14 gals, very well made from Harmon Racing Cells, 2 pumps, slosh tank
    Custom?

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate the out-loud thinking. No reason to think you're being a downer. I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who thought the fuel tank was kind of dinky. I'd rather spend the extra cash on a real fuel cell if I have to be that close to it anyway. Just haven't seen any suitable.

Custom?
    Yes, from Harmon Racing Cells
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks