Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  46
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Steve's MK IV Coyote Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve's Mk IV Coyote Build

Just what you need, another build thread by a novice.

After a couple of years of research I finally decided how I wanted to build my Cobra and pulled the trigger.
    Mk IV Complete #8901
    Coyote
    TKO600
    IRS
    FFR Power Steering
    Sway bars
    Hydraulic clutch
    Wilwoods
    18"FFR Halibrands
    Stainless pipes & DS roll bar
    Stainless bumpers
    Kirkey low backs

More than likely, blue with white stripes. I love the various combinations of silvers and black but every time I go to a show, I come back with 200 pictures of blue and white Cobras.

I took auto shop in high school, back when schools offered shop classes. That should tell you something. My brother and I built, auto crossed, crashed and rebuilt Datsun 510's on shoestring budgets but that was a long, long time ago. This will be a huge step for me. Well outside my comfort zone.

Why a FFR roadster?
    The Cobra is just so damn cool. Timeless. My tastes have changed over the years but the Cobra has always tugged at me.

I met the FFR guys at SEMA a couple of years ago. They let me know that tall guys had modified roadsters to fit. That was the bait.
    I went to the Huntington Beach show and sat in Dave's modified MK 3. I was hooked.
    I met a bunch of great people and they answered my questions, let me take notes and photos and were all very encouraging. After that I could not get the idea out of my head.

So for the next year I read the forum and took notes and tried to determine what I wanted and what I was capable of doing. This forum is FFR's greatest selling tool. This community is unbelievably helpful. Not so with other project forums that I have explored.

I've wanted a project for a while but I don't weld and I'm no longer fond of rust or junk yards (misguided youth) so that eliminated some muscle car ideas I've had. I have a restored 64 Cadillac convertible but restoration projects are more about sending things out to be done by others. I also wanted something I could do primarily by myself. Removing the door of a 64 Cad is a 3-man job.

So the stars started to align and my wife was on board so the order went in in May.

I've been making good progress, just delinquent on starting a thread.

My first boss at McDonnell Douglas told all of us young engineers, "Don't be too proud to copy good ideas. Proven designs don't kill pilots."
    So if you see me stealing your ideas, it is with that sound engineering principle in mind. I will try to credit those from whom I borrow but I've read so many threads I might have forgotten where the ideas originated. He also told us "that you can't fix a problem unless you know exactly why it failed and that still doesn't guaranty that your fix won't cause greater problems". So with that in mind, if you see me jumping off the tracks and reinventing something, please feel free to intervene. Please!

I'm having a blast. My wife is still talking to me. I haven't screwed anything up past the point of repair. What more could a guy want?

I'll add more soon. I think I have the photos figured out.

-Steve
    Last edited by Straversi; 08-20-2020 at 05:05 PM.