BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steve's MK IV Coyote Build

Greta build thread, enjoyed reading it, thanks.

Aluminum Panels

Not sure if this photo shows the aluminum panel well enough but this is the brushed finish we sanded in. 220 grit with a hand block using a guide board. No matter how hard I tried to sand straight without a guide, there was always a noticeable curve. Very pleased with how it turned out. Trying to keep a racing look to it but didn't want tons of scratches. I probably gave this decision as much thought as anything on the build; natural, paint, powder coat, sharkhyde...

Cracked myself up the other day when I looked at some photos of cars at the HB Cruise-In with Coyotes. There is probably less than 25 square inches of panel visible inside the engine bay. But darn it, I'm sure happy with how that precious real estate is finished!

IMG_2497_zpsfsmgjsbu.jpg

-Steve
    MK IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16

Engine Bay Prep

Starting to make the push to install the motor. First I needed to wire the engine bay. I'm following EduardB's schematic, other than I have the rear mount drop battery box so my battery cable will come up the transmission tunnel. I started to bring it up the passenger side but the driveline is offset to the passenger side so it looked a little tight. Plenty of room on the drivers side of the tunnel. I had already drilled the 2" hole in the firewall for the Coyote harness, fabbed the bracket to mount the PCM to the passenger side and mounted the Power Distribution Box on the 2" tube near my fuel distributor. Now I needed to peel back the harness and do some pruning.

IMG_2483_zpsqq0cbfcs.jpg

Now we are getting serious. Had to set up a new work station to spread the wiring out to keep thinks in order.

IMG_2482_zpsm8gfxu4r-1.jpg

I reached out to EduardB Several times for clarification and he graciously offered help and referred me to his wiring schematics that I had somehow missed in his threads. I have been reading so many schematics and making notes and talking to myself that my wife finally asked "Is this going to be safe?" I guess I have not been projecting much confidence leafing through manuals and dragging a harness through the house.

IMG_2490_zps6xrpdfgv.jpg

IMG_2488_zpsawclefup.jpg

All buttoned up. I covered or replaced the plastic convolute tubing with Painless Performance Classic Braid. Just like the look. No practical reason.

Next stop, Coyote.

IMG_2494_zpsifx3nefn.jpg

-Steve
    MK IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16

Looking good (and familiar!). That classic braid looks nice. Thought about using it a couple times but didn't. Maybe next time. For those red plastic caps on the master disconnect, I trimmed them enough to fit flat over the posts. Just enough around the back part to slip past the larger and added wires. Then put a blob of non-conductive electronic grade silicone sealant on the post to hold them in place. They would peel off pretty easily if ever necessary.

Good luck getting the Coyote in! Big next step.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
    Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Deliv: 09/09/2012. Legal: 03/30/2015. Sold. #7750 Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. Deliv: 08/05/2015. 2015-2017 Coyote. Completed 02/21/2017. Red/white club for the third time. #8674 Build Thread

Steve-

She is looking great! I really like the brushed finish you are putting on your aluminum panels; they look terrific, and I think give it that race car finish you were seeking.

You are making great time with the build, and everything looks sharp.

Thanks for posting your progress!

Regards,

Steve

Coyote Time

Big weekend! I managed to get a day of my son's spring break and he and a friend of mine showed up Saturday around noon. I had been at it since 6:00 AM double checking everything. Car on wheel dollies, HF load leveler, strap and come-along for transmission, check. OK, time to get this big Coyote in its new home.

Combined experience installing motors: Big Fat Zero. Last time I installed a motor it was a Datsun 1800 and my brother and I just put the short block in by hand, no hoist necessary. This was a slightly different experience.
    IMG_3157_zps25ib7ldp.jpg

It took us about an hour and a half to slowly, and I mean slowly guide the Coyote in. Down a little, little more angle, move the car left, right forward...

It was great to have two extra sets of hands and eyes. Had a priceless experience with my son AND we managed to get the motor in place without losing any fingers or damaging the body panels. Whew!

IMG_2526_zpsloa3hbnj.jpg

Once we got the engine down enough that the passenger side motor mount was making contact I removed the DS engine mount and started to install the DS header.

I let my help depart and started the slow process of getting those header bolts in. I think it took me just as long to get the header in as it did to install the motor. Part of that time was modifying a tool though.

I cut 1/2" off of an 8mm allen wrench and slipped it into a ratcheting box end wrench. My new favorite tool. Allowed me to get to all of the header bolts and made quick work of the fine threads.

FullSizeRender3_zpsim2ilmyf.jpg

FullSizeRender2_zpsz21y39me.jpg

One note: I installed the plastic oil sensor (removed from the stock pan) in the DS of the Moroso oil pan at the same time I was installing the header, with the engine still suspended but in place. I don't think you can get the oil pan between the mounts with the sensor installed and I don't think you can get the sensor in with the motor all the way in. Seemed like there was a sweet spot where it went in smoothly.

Header in, motor mount back on, engine settled nicely in the mounts so I mounted the transmission brace, added the 3/4" spacer and called it a day.

Thanks to all of the Forum tips and advice, we were able to get the engine in without interruption. No trips to ACE for missing bits and pieces.

Sunday I repositioned the car in the garage, put it back up on jack stands, installed the starter, ground strap, PS header and cleaned up. Then I had to fix a fountain, some landscape lights, reprogram some sprinklers and catch up on a long list of TO DO's.

I had the car on the ground for a few minutes. Got to sit in it and make car noises. What a great weekend. Need to get to the office so I can rest. Man, I'm tired.

-Steve

Blog Entries
    Those Tires Look Ready To Kick Some Asphalt!

Congrats on getting the Coyote in! Huge step. Will be eagerly awaiting the first start video!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Looking good (and familiar!). That classic braid looks nice. Thought about using it a couple times but didn't. Maybe next time. For those red plastic caps on the master disconnect, I trimmed them enough to fit flat over the posts. Just enough around the back part to slip past the larger and added wires. Then put a blob of non-conductive electronic grade silicone sealant on the post to hold them in place. They would peel off pretty easily if ever necessary.

Good luck getting the Coyote in! Big next step.
    Thanks, and yes that should all look familiar. No penalty for plagiarism I was told. Thanks for the tip with the caps. I think I'm going to add two guarded toggle switches on either side of the battery disconnect, one for fuel pump cut off and one for flashers. Still not 100% sure but I added wiring for those before the motor went in, just in case. If I decide not to place them there it will be easier to cut out the wiring than to add in after the fact. I'll trim the red caps and add the dielectric grease when I get that all finalized.

I'm not going to use the Coyote engine cover so my wiring will be visible. I thought the classic braid would be worth while. With the Coyote cover it would all be hidden anyway.

You will surely see more familiar photos in this thread, but I promise not to paint her red and white.

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post

The Boss Manifold Is Totally Necessary!

They Look Cool & That's Enough To Justify The Expense!

Steve

Be very careful here, The old intake will not work with the 2015 and newer coyote. Make sure you are using 2015 and newer intake and throttle body.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    Be very careful here, The old intake will not work with the 2015 and newer coyote. Make sure you are using 2015 and newer intake and throttle body.
    I'm in the research phase now. Not planning on the Boss but looking into an aftermarket intake. They do not support the Intake Manifold Runner Control feature (aware of the pros and cons there). A custom tune is required if you delete the IMRC but that is required anyway with headers, etc. Other than that, it is supposed to run with the -15 throttle body. Any info you have is appreciated. Like I said, still researching.

Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    I'm in the research phase now. Not planning on the Boss but looking into an aftermarket intake. They do not support the Intake Manifold Runner Control feature (aware of the pros and cons there). A custom tune is required if you delete the IMRC but that is required anyway with headers, etc. Other than that, it is supposed to run with the -15 throttle body. Any info you have is appreciated. Like I said, still researching.
    I started to respond to the Boss intake on a 2015 Coyote before, but didn't. It's definitely a bit of a mixed bag. The IMRC difference you mention is one thing. That would have to be addressed with a custom tune. But then the Boss intake takes a custom tune anyway. On the previous version of the Coyote, the Boss intake took away some power at the lower RPM's but give a nice bump at the higher ones. The difference doesn't seem quite so much for the 2015 version due to the changes made to the base engine. There are several reviews out there for intake options for the 2015 Coyote. Check those out. The Boss intake does add some power for the 2015, but at very high RPM's. 7,000 and above. Not something you're going to see very often with street driving. Check this out. https://www.svtperformance.com/2014/...s-intake-test/

Bottom line for me, between the intake and the custom tuning it's a pretty expensive appearance item. Ford Performance has a couple other intake options for the newer Coyotes. You might want to look at those if it's pure power you're going after. But they aren't very pretty. Certainly not any better looking than the stock setup. Again IMO. And by the way, once we have this all figured out, it's changing again! The 2018 Coyote has yet another batch of changes. Ford hasn't officially provided many details, but it's clearly going to shake things up again.
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-21-2017 at 03:09 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
    Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Deliv: 09/09/2012. Legal: 03/30/2015. Sold. #7750 Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. Deliv: 08/05/2015. 2015-2017 Coyote. Completed 02/21/2017. Red/white club for the third time. #8674 Build Thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12