Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intro and new build thread

Post Thanks / Like

Intro and new build thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intro and new build thread

IMG_0405.JPGMy handle is frankc5r and I live in Saline, Mi, just south of Ann Arbor. Worked at Univ Mich in Instrumentation for many years and had a
    second life as engineer on multiple factory road racing programs over the years with the last being Corvette Racing where I initially worked
    on wiring the cars and later did the radios which for a race like LeMans meant over 100 units.
    Did many a hotrod over the years , one of the latest being a Cad Northstar mounted midengined in 65 Corvair.

Decided to do a kit car and 818, probably a coupe, looks like a fun project. I went ahead and got a donor car a few weeks ago from Wayne,
    a 2002 WRX with little over 100k on it. Have got almost all suspension rebuilt with new bearings etc and have been cleaning up engine and trans.
    Reduced harness to a couple pounds and will be doing the harness myself cause that is what I did in racing for years. Getting a Microsquirt
    from Wayne. Took off trans today and car appears to have a stage 1 Exedy clutch not too long ago. Will check it for finger height and disc wear.
    Going to try to attach a picture of clutch so others can tell me if I guess correctly.

Going to order from FFR when next sale comes along which some say may be about thanksgiving.

All suggestions welcomed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness. The coupe has been a fun build, but as I'm sure you know get ready to do some personalization for a million reasons... Sounds like you picked up a good donor, which can go a long way to making the build easier (IMHO).

Other important stuff: Go Jake! Glad CR picked up the titles this year, it was a tough fight at the end. And LeMans was a heartbreaker (-not just for Toyota but also for the non-turbo GT cars).

Good luck with the kit purchase, if not Thanksgiving maybe black Friday? And have fun!
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your build. What area did you work in on the race teams? I assume instrumentation/electronics since that is what you did at UM.
    818R Build date 10/31/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielsDM View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your build. What area did you work in on the race teams? I assume instrumentation/electronics since that is what you did at UM.
    Over the years quite a few areas. I designed and built the wiring on quite a few roadracing cars, did data acquisition , built special sensors, and in the later
    years did the repeater radio systems. Motorola was a sponsor so we had access to the latest hi tech portables.

spent today cleaning up the transaxle from years of grime etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if this is a stage 1 Exedy clutch?? Looks fairly new and was in my trans.IMG_0405.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0383c.JPGBeen working on cleaning up and rebuilding all of the donor parts especially the aluminum parts. You are probably aware the HCL or muratic acid can be used
    but it is fussy and you must Always add conc Hcl to water. BUT I found that The Works toilet bowl cleaner is about 10% hcl which is about right for our use.
    Older version, till epa stopped them, were 16.5% and had a thickener which was very nice as it stayed in place. But until a new version with thickener is
    available, the current version works pretty good. I use a cheap brush to put it on. A few min to work, then spray water on from windex bottle and use 5 gal
    vacuum to suck it all up.. I have cleaned up the engine and trans with "The Works" using a engine stand to hold things horizontal. Attached are a couple pictures.IMG_0480.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    That's nice. How does it behave around steel parts? I used to use some diluted muriatic acid (pool cleaner, 10M HCl) on aluminum but if I wasn't careful, I got a lot of rust on pressed in steel pins, tubes, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    That's nice. How does it behave around steel parts? I used to use some diluted muriatic acid (pool cleaner, 10M HCl) on aluminum but if I wasn't careful, I got a lot of rust on pressed in steel pins, tubes, etc.
    I was careful to apply with a brush and not spray and use
    multiple washes with water. You could add a little soda to water wash as a neutralizer if worried. I did not see any problems.

9. Thanks Jkviper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been cleaning and rebuilding parts from donor for 818 coupe build.
    Some examples attached. Hope works. IMG_0525c.JPGIMG_0572c.JPGIMG_0585c.JPGIMG_0595c.JPGIMG_0599c.JPGIMG_0603c.JPGIMG_0605c.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Good work

Post Thanks / Like
    Parts look really nice!
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I have put in ALOT of hours. I can see getting a southern or SW donor has some real benefits.

Post Thanks / Like

My dolly

Dollycmp.JPG65 Northstar Corvaircmp.jpg2012-09-14 10.46.07cmp.jpgBuild thread will be quiet for awhile as we are going to Florida for winter. Have the 818C sent up for late Mar 17 delivery when we return.
    To prepare for delivery, I used others good design to make my dolly. Yes, I have about 1 in clearance for my engine hoist. Thanks for the
    reminder. The car in the background is a previous project, 65 Chevy Corvair with 4.6L Northstar midengined.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see another Michigan builder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc5r View Post
    Does anyone know if this is a stage 1 Exedy clutch?? Looks fairly new and was in my trans.IMG_0405.JPG
    Certainly looks like the Exedy Stage 1 clutches shown on Google images and this listing, which says that they and others source their clutches from Exedy (so it may not have the Exedy name on it).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Frank did you schedule delivery from Stewart for the 17th or completion on the 17th?

Stewart operates separate from FFR and is known to deliver at their own leisure after the FFR completion date. Southeast Michigan might not be a huge wait time, but there are plenty of horror stories of them taking 6-8 weeks to deliver kits. That's a lot of prime spring/summer build time gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for reply. At the moment I told FFR I wanted it done in late March of 2017 with that possibly changing if I decide to return from Fl earlier. Had
    not heard about possible long delays. I will call Stewart in early Feb to confirm delivery date. I can always take my trailer and pick it up and are tempted to so I can see factory. That does complicate unloading back at my shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for reply. At the moment I told FFR I wanted it done in late March of 2017 with that possibly changing if I decide to return from Fl earlier. Had
    not heard about possible long delays. I will call Stewart in early Feb to confirm delivery date. I can always take my trailer and pick it up and are tempted to so I can see factory. That does complicate unloading back at my shop.
    Frank
    unloading is not that difficult. you can lift on end of the frame by yourself.
    Take the body off and then you can get the frame off.
    Bob

loading.jpg

1157628_10151837458773428_600216132_n.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    that's nice. How does it behave around steel parts? I used to use some diluted muriatic acid (pool cleaner, 10m hcl) on aluminum but if i wasn't careful, i got a lot of rust on pressed in steel pins, tubes, etc.
    Also, HCL will aggressively attack zinc. A thin layer of zinc is applied all nuts and bolts to help prevent the steel from rusting. On a donor some of the engine hardware can be lacking some of this zinc plating. Other builders have gone so far as to sent all of their hardware to a local zinc plating facility. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post176232
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchStone View Post
    Also, HCL will aggressively attack zinc. A thin layer of zinc is applied all nuts and bolts to help prevent the steel from rusting. On a donor some of the engine hardware can be lacking some of this zinc plating. Other builders have gone so far as to sent all of their hardware to a local zinc plating facility. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post176232
    I bought from Caswell Plating some DIY kits for zinc and nickel plating. They have worked well in the past for plating car hardware.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well today is delivery day for 818C so , of course,
    it is time for the worst blizzard of winter. Plowed
    driveway 3 times and still it comes. Driver says cart has 8 in wheels so he is not worried it I have hill so got truck to slow cart down on way to shop. Wish me luck!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here goes nothing!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck today, Frank!! Be sure to post some photos of the delivery.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Luck

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good luck Frank!!!
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    What a day! Spent all day replowing driveway from crazy snow storm. Semi arrived and he did not feel it was safe to unload. Also happened to the 33 hotrod in Westland who could not get a flatbed
    truck. Was my only choice for delivery. He said he usually unloads 90 % from road but with snow, just could not do. I was lucky to find a flatbed truck in middle of a snow storm. We all met at a Walmart about a mile away and he unloaded car sitting on dolly onto the flatbed. Tied it down and off to my shop where I got the car at last. Took a nice video of driver using the hoist to unload car but its to big to load here and the mov size reducer I used did not reduce size enough. Will try to add some pictures here. Hope it works.

IMG_0913 comp.jpgIMG_0916 comp.jpgIMG_0929comp.jpgIMG_0930 comp.jpg

Manual is new R version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What a day! Spent all day replowing driveway from crazy snow storm. Semi arrived and he did not feel it was safe to unload. Also happened to the 33 hotrod in Westland who could not get a flatbed
    truck. Was my only choice for delivery. He said he usually unloads 90 % from road but with snow, just could not do. I was lucky to find a flatbed truck in middle of a snow storm. We all met at a Walmart about a mile away and he unloaded car sitting on dolly onto the flatbed. Tied it down and off to my shop where I got the car at last.
    Congrats! That sounds familiar... due to access my delivery had to unloaded the same way at a local high school parking lot; luckily a neighbor hat a flatbed to borrow unexpectedly.

Took a nice video of driver using the hoist to unload car but its to big to load here and the mov size reducer I used did not reduce size enough..
    You can upload it to YouTube in full resolution, and then link to it here; it will be imbeded and play right from the forum page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Frank! Can't wait to see it completed
    Factory Five 818c #456

Post Thanks / Like
    Good work getting it done, Frank. That looks like a very serious garage - I'm envious.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like it was quite a process. My shop isn't accessible with a big rig so I had to do something similar. Now the fun begins!
    818R Build date 10/31/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I have uploaded the video of unloading my 818C from the Stewart Transportation semi using its nice crane system on rails.

https://youtu.be/YAz68XATaaA

It had been snowing all day and Stewart could not unload safely at my shop so off to Walmart Parking lot. 33 hotrod in background was supposed to go to Westland
    but could not get done.
    Last edited by frankc5r; 03-14-2017 at 06:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Frank, If you click on the Insert Video icon and paste the full YouTube URL, you can have your videos playable right in the forum window like this:

Brrr! That looks like the same driver who delivered my kit (quite a while ago), but I had a bit warmer weather...

20131026_125338.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for helpful post.
    Last edited by frankc5r; 03-15-2017 at 05:39 PM.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go Frank. Keep us informed on your progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got thru the packing list and only missing a few items.. Got the roof off and stored. Pretty close to actually starting on build..
    Some pictures attached.

IMG_0961cmp.JPG car as delivered, roof off

IMG_0962cmp.JPG View of shop, 1 of 2 rooms

IMG_0965cmp.JPG roof suspended, plywood floor bet lift rails to store body

IMG_0966cmp.JPG front firewall

IMG_0967cmp.JPG rear firewall

IMG_0968cmp.JPG front interior

IMG_0971cmp.JPG roll cage

Thanks to those who posted to id parts.
    The carbon pieces all look excellent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now let the games begin, ENJOY
    Nice shop BTW

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank-

Glad that you were able to overcome delivery challenges; Mother Nature sure can be uncooperative!

I am totally jealous of your garage! It sure looks like you have a great set-up, and from the looks of your prep work, you have all you need. I have enjoyed watching you get your donor parts ready. They look fantastic, and it sure shows your patience.

Congratulations on your delivery. I look forward to following your build!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    First day of actual build. Painted all of firewall , mounted pedal box mount and couple pieces of aluminum.

Black coated the rivits for the all black look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey you got it! That's great! Already installed and painted the front FW, good building pace, keep it up.

Nice pictures and I can tell these shiny frame tubes won't stay shiny for very long (dust), so savor the moment!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    did you use paint, rubberized undercoating or truck bed liner on the firewall?? Also, if you finish before me then you're welcome to come help me with my kit
    Factory Five 818c #456

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast