Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone here have a 2015 - current GT350 or GT350R?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone here have a 2015 - current GT350 or GT350R?

I have a family connection with a local Ford dealer and have been thinking about taking the plunge and getting a new GT350 - possibly an R-model if he has an allocation. Those of you who have either, is there a significant difference when street driven? Is the R as good or better than the GT350 on the road or do the differences only come out on the track? Does the R give up anything to the regular version on the street - i.e., more harsh?
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I backed out of a GT350 purchase and bought my GTM kit.

The "R" versions of the GT350 here in California were scarce. Now the mark-up on them here are ridiculous. Closest dealer near me has an "R" version for $170,000, and most of their standard GT350's are around $110,000.

I hope your connection can get you a good deal on one. In terms of the difference, I only know what I have read and cant give you a first hand experience on what you ask. I was told by the dealer that if I wasn't actually racing the GT350 then there is no reason to really get an "R" since there was no significant advantages on the street. However, I really like the "R" badging, carbon fiber rims, and spoiler that is only offered with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The wheels on 'R' are so much lighter that acceleration is improved by several tenths in the 0 - 60 and other measured runs, I don't recall where I saw the specs about the difference but I was quite shocked by the improvement the wheels made.

Post Thanks / Like
    From what i've heard either car is fantastic. Just if you buy the base GT350, Don't drive the R and you'll never regret it LOL. Main differences are just in Wheels (which i've heard really make a difference) and aero. If it's a car you plan to sell later on though I think the R will keep a higher value. If you're just going to street it and keep it get the Base GT350.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also the R deletes A/C the backseat and reportedly feels a little harsher in race mode. it does have magnetic suspension though so it wouldn't be bad

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback so far - pretty much what I've read and been thinking.

For '17, the base GT350 gets the former "track pack," including the mag shocks, as standard features. Also, the electronics group for the R puts a little weight back in the car by adding the A/C and radio back in, but would make it a bit more usable on the street. I don't think that the electronics package will devalue the R, so that'd likely be the way I go if the R is available.

I think it's all going to come down to what I can get - my connection is not sure if he can get me an allocation for the R (I guess those are based on sales of the standard GT350, which is based on sales of regular Mustangs), but his store does a pretty good volume of Mustangs and it sounds like the R will be a bit more available in the '17 model year. If that proves to be too elusive, I don't think I'd have a problem "settling" for the standard version.

More thoughts or driving impressions from those who own or have driven one???
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Family connection couldn't come through. But, since my company is a Ford supplier, I was able to track an all black base GT350 (non-R) that was on order and make a great deal below MSRP on it just after it rolled off the truck. Looks like Black Friday is going to be a good shopping day for me this year, as that's when I'm picking it up.

Pics to follow....
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074