FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gauge Cluster Surround/Gauge Mount: Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like

Gauge Cluster Surround/Gauge Mount: Zero Decibel Motorsports

While looking for a way to mount gauges I decided to make an entire surround for the OEM gauge cluster that also had room for four gauges. This way my gauges are all mounted uniformly and look like they were intended to be there.

It is bare aluminum, but can be polished, painted, or powdercoated (by the end user) to give more contrast if desired. Flush mount pem studs hold it in place so you don't see hardware if it's painted (unpainted you can see the difference in color of the back of the stud). Comes with the studs pressed in.

CAD rendering is below. Gauges on left are prosport premium, top right is regular prosport, bottom right is an AEM guage. Outer bezel of the AEM gauge is 2.36" and is about the maximum. Prosport are 2.27" and have a little more clearance. Anything bigger than 2.36" will likely have interference with the gauge above it unless that one is smaller. Gauges are 2.44" center to center so you can measure your gauges if you have questions about whether they'll fit or not.

Pricing:
    5 People: $55
    10 People: $40
    15 People: $35
    20+ People: $30

1: Dodgy Tim: Cutouts
    2: Joseph: Cutouts
    3: Wirenut: plain
    4: SnyderJD: Cutouts
    5: BlWalker: Plain
    6: Fastzrex: Cutouts

Pricing is the same for one with qty-4, 52mm cutouts or for a panel with no cutouts.

Last edited by Mechie3; 02-01-2017 at 09:33 AM.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this designed to fit over the stock FFR plastic dash, looks like some cutting would be required ?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounts right onto the dash. You'd have to drill holes for mounting and cut out four 52mm holes for gauges to pass through. Its more a decorative piece than anything.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you always tempt me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good, now if only it was carbon fibre and cut out for an AIM dash, lol
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Or carbon and not cut out at all

Post Thanks / Like
    Sign me up. Again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Took pics of the paper mockup this morning. The little winged Zero logo can always be removed. That's there because I'm putting it on mine but I get not everyone would want that.

I could look at waterjetting carbon fiber blanks. I assume by no cutout people mean no cutout for the gauge cluster AND no cutout for the 52mm gauges?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig, That looks good, but, you have got more important things to do.
    Congrats,
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I slept at home last night with a screaming 2 year old. Lol. Took that pic on my way to the hospital after dropping daughter at daycare.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Carbon fiber would be a nice option. Cut out for gauge cluster, but blank on 52 mm gauges (supply a paper template)? I would advertise your logo. Would your logo cut out okay on carbon fiber?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE FURNACE View Post
    Carbon fiber would be a nice option. Cut out for gauge cluster, but blank on 52 mm gauges (supply a paper template)? I would advertise your logo. Would your logo cut out okay on carbon fiber?
    I would buy exactly that. The template for the gauges is a good idea. I would just ask for the cutout centre section so I can make a matching mount for an AIM dash. Also, maybe think about matching door card inserts.
    Last edited by Canadian818; 10-14-2016 at 10:48 PM.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    sign me up for one no holes for round gauges thanks brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Any reason one of these won't fit a right hand drive dash?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgyTim View Post
    Holes would be on the wrong side, you would need to flip the car around and drive backwards
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    ill take one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    Holes would be on the wrong side, you would need to flip the car around and drive backwards
    So you've seen my car? 10-backwards-cars[1].jpg

I'll take one in alloy with the gauge holes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgyTim View Post
    Depending on how accurately FFR made the LHD vs the RHD dashes you might need to trim it or more of the dash might show through. We already know FFR handmakes all their molds so there's plenty of room for variability.

I need to make a change to the template and then I'll quote it with no holes. Been a bit busy lately. New baby was in Nicu for a couple days, then home, now back in Ped's for really high biliruben counts. Haven't been on much lately.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Depending on how accurately FFR made the LHD vs the RHD dashes you might need to trim it or more of the dash might show through. We already know FFR handmakes all their molds so there's plenty of room for variability.

I need to make a change to the template and then I'll quote it with no holes. Been a bit busy lately. New baby was in Nicu for a couple days, then home, now back in Ped's for really high biliruben counts. Haven't been on much lately.
    Wish you well with the bub
    Both my sons were in the Nicu for 100+ days each, I know how stressful that can be

Post Thanks / Like
    First was in NICU for 36 days. This one was there for a day, then out, then back for a day, then home for two, then into the ped's for 2. He's home now and good. Biliruben is an easy fix. Turned out to be an ABO incompatability (wife created antibodies against his blood type during the birth when blood mixed, antibodies from my wife were in the baby breaking down red blood cells).

I made the change I mentioned. Not sure I like it. In theory I liked having the radii on the small electrical panel and the cluster surround match, but in practice I think it makes the cluster surround look too square. Thoughts?

Zero Decibel Motorsports

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    glad everyone's good.

looks real good!

I still feel the small panel needs a little bump up to match the dash curve.

LIizgzo.png

also my stupid thought... would it be better to make it with 4 centering holes rather than cutouts? then people could just drill as needed through the trim and into the dash, or add indicator lights or switches.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I want one.

Post Thanks / Like
    More than likely I'd make it blank but provide a printable template to center the holes. That way if you didn't want anything there you wouldn't end up with four pilot holes.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Sign me up Craig, and I vote for the top one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    glad everyone's good.

looks real good!

LIizgzo.png

also my stupid thought... would it be better to make it with 4 centering holes rather than cutouts? then people could just drill as needed through the trim and into the dash, or add indicator lights or switches.
    The tiny radii dont look like a good match to me, of course everything is relative and most all of your creations look pretty darn good! I like the switch panel swooped up to match the instrument surround.

-Ben

Here is another twist on your theme:

instrument surround option.JPG
    Last edited by ben1272; 11-01-2016 at 05:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    glad everyone's good.

looks real good!

LIizgzo.png

I really like the bottom one
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Bottom one Please

Post Thanks / Like
    glad everyone's good.

looks real good!

LIizgzo.png
    I need to update the electrical panel piece. With where I mounted mine, I'm not sure the uptick on the left edge would go that far towards center. Honstly can't remember. It's been a super quick 6 weeks since the baby was born.

I sent an email to the shop asking if I need to create new part numbers for blank vs cutout versions. Once I hear back I'll be asking for official "I'm in" votes to start the group buy.

Thanks everyone.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig, really like the layout - I am not going to use the factory WRX gauge cluster and was looking for a good alternative using Speedhut instruments.
    What would it take to create a piece to replace the factory cluster and use a separate Speedo & Tach unit ?
    I dont have access to all the fun CAD stuff, Something for you to kick around in your spare time.

Thanks,
    "E"

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig
    Are you planning to offer these pieces as a pair (gauge cluster and electrical panel) or separately? Great work - really like the electrical panel. Glad all is well with the kiddos - we have four at home, never a dull moment.
    Ty

Post Thanks / Like
    Innkeeper: Do you want a panel blank that sits down inside the cutout where the gauges are, or are you asking for a cluster surround that is fully solid?

Mistasherm: I'm working with Iwire to create an electrical panel. I have several hours of wiring into mine because of the switches and functions I chose. I wire will have a much easier solution.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Innkeeper: Do you want a panel blank that sits down inside the cutout where the gauges are, or are you asking for a cluster surround that is fully solid?
    Yes, a panel that will replace the factory WRX gauge pod. Using a 4 inch Tach & Speedo, I think with the correct spacing I can place the AFR gauge in there also ( like this = OoO ) add your surround for the other 4 gauges.

Post Thanks / Like

Put me on the List

Love the panel layouts. I prefer the top panel design. Please conact me when you are ready for payment!

I need to update the electrical panel piece. With where I mounted mine, I'm not sure the uptick on the left edge would go that far towards center. Honstly can't remember. It's been a super quick 6 weeks since the baby was born.

I sent an email to the shop asking if I need to create new part numbers for blank vs cutout versions. Once I hear back I'll be asking for official "I'm in" votes to start the group buy.

Thanks everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Innkeepr View Post
    Yes, a panel that will replace the factory WRX gauge pod. Using a 4 inch Tach & Speedo, I think with the correct spacing I can place the AFR gauge in there also ( like this = OoO ) add your surround for the other 4 gauges.
    I would just attach a piece of material behind the opening and make cuts where you need them. There's no need to make a piece that matches the cutout perfectly because the excess material will be hidden by the dash itself. After it's installed layout where you want the gauges and make some cuts.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Craig, I dont have a dash to mock up right now, just trying to figure stuff out. With 1 in college and one starting in another year - I am hoarding parts at an alarming rate ! Stripped the donor, bought an ej207, and still have my MK II in pieces as I added a heater, new seats, fresh air vents, and second roll bar. Thankful for a wife that puts up with my hobby.

Best wishes,
    "E"

Post Thanks / Like
    I got quotes back for a blank version (missing the four gauge cutouts). I'll post updates shortly.

Innkeepr. Chris on facebook has done exactly what you're looking to do. Posted pics a few days ago. Don't remember if it was his personal page or on the 818 builders group page. If you can't find it I'll see if I can share the pics here.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Not posting updates yet. I was reviewing pricing and the blank version was quoted 37% higher than the version with four cutouts. I sent an email asking why. As soon as I get it I'll update pricing (hopefully the blank version goes down and the cutout version doesn't go up). Once pricing is up I'll be taking names for who is in and whether you want a blank version (center cutout + logo only) or a cutout version (center cutout + logo + 4-52mm gauge cutouts).
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Pricing updated. If you're interested let me know if you want the version with the cutouts or without the cutouts. Pricing is the same for both.

Thanks.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone wants these, please post as I'm not using the original "I'll take one" posts since pricing was changed by the shop. Want to make sure people still want them at the new price (think it went up by $5? Don't remember).

Thanks,
    Craig
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I want the one with the cut outs. Tell me how to send the money, PayPal? I am Joseph on the forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast