FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: In-line fuel filter

Post Thanks / Like

In-line fuel filter

The sun came out this afternoon, so that's reasonably good news. Now the less than good news. The location that the manual recommends for the in-line fuel filter is basically the same place as the shock absorber mount bracket. That's not going to work... So where will it go??? The forum search didn't turn up much, but it looked like Jazzman dealt with it to some degree back in January. Instead of mounting it on the 2x3 frame rail as indicated in the manual, what if I put it on the diagonal cross member (1x1)? Here's a photo. Obviously, I haven't figured out the whole rotational thing with my photos in Windows 10 (they're correctly oriented every step of the way until they get loaded to the forum gallery! So, tip your screen 90 degrees to the right and you'll have the correct orientation

Any other thoughts on location for the in-line fuel filter? I'm guessing there's no reason why the tubing supplied with the two fittings on it can't be shortened...
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    That's exactly where I put mine, but I mounted the bracket to the underside of the 3/4" frame so that it was parallel to the ground.

IMG_1986 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_1991 by jhsitton, on Flickr

John
    Last edited by phileas_fogg; 08-06-2017 at 07:43 PM.
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Picture of mine, seemed to work out fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ideally you want to be able to access it, for when it comes time for a change. I set mine in a position that i can reach it fairly easy, if I simply remove the right rear tire. There was no conflict with brake or suspension components.
    You can also see how I incorporated the donor charcoal cannister to help prevent fumes.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks, guys!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    The original builder had the FFR supplied filter mounted behind the shock mount as in the manual. I needed to get rid of the 5/16" line and go to 3/8", so I pulled out the in line filter and put in a canister with 3/8" hard line in nearly the same position. It seems to fit well, and as far as I can tell at this point in the build, will be redilly available to service the filter element.

Looking up and to the right side of the car, and looking forward from the tank.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Ideally you want to be able to access it, for when it comes time for a change. I set mine in a position that i can reach it fairly easy, if I simply remove the right rear tire. There was no conflict with brake or suspension components.
    You can also see how I incorporated the donor charcoal cannister to help prevent fumes.
    AC Bill - what is the charcoal filter for the tank vent off off?? I kind of like that. I was thinking of making my own lie others have, but kind off like the looks of this.
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck, most guys make their own from scratch. Check out edwardb's build threads, I beleive he did one for his second build and documented the parts used. Also carlewms just did one recently.
    JR
    Last edited by jrcuz; 10-18-2016 at 07:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcuz View Post
    Chuck, most guys make their own from scratch. Check out edwardb's build threads, I beleive he did one for his second build and documented the parts used. Also carlwms just did one recently.
    JR
    That's the direction I was heading. Just thought this one looked interesting.
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    That from the donor fox body mustang.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ckrueger View Post
    AC Bill - what is the charcoal filter for the tank vent off off?? I kind of like that. I was thinking of making my own lie others have, but kind off like the looks of this.
    You should be able to find one at an auto wrecker pretty cheap. Not sure how the design changed over the years, or may have varied between the models, but that one was off 90 GT 5.0 Mustang. Probably similar ones used in other Ford models, Lincoln's, etc., around that era. I incorporated the donor bracket as well.

I like that I never need to worry what modern fuel may eventually do to the plastic, as it's designed for it. Not sure if I would trust just any plastics, as some may break down, or even deform after long term exposure.
    Last edited by AC Bill; 10-19-2016 at 01:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcuz View Post
    Chuck, most guys make their own from scratch. Check out edwardb's build threads, I beleive he did one for his second build and documented the parts used. Also carlewms just did one recently.
    JR
    I fabricated my charcoal filter using my donor fuel filter ('98 Cobra), cut in half and gutted, and inserted into a muffler pipe coupler. The pieces were a perfect fit and were riveted together after placing some scotch brite and charcoal inside. I mounted the unit with an aluminum angle and a muffler clamp. Very sturdy, easily accessible and re-buildable if necessary but, for a total of $20, I will probably make a new one when needed.

IMG_0235.jpg
    Last edited by Joecobr; 02-21-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made my filter using a large CVS plastic pill bottle. Drilled a hole in the bottom, inserted and sealed a lamp nipple, put charcoal sponge at the bottom, filed with aquarium charcoal and drilled small holes in the top, mounted a clamp under the wheel well. So far so good. To change I pop the top off, pour out the charcoal, add more and put the top back on.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    The sun came out this afternoon, so that's reasonably good news. Now the less than good news. The location that the manual recommends for the in-line fuel filter is basically the same place as the shock absorber mount bracket. That's not going to work... So where will it go??? The forum search didn't turn up much, but it looked like Jazzman dealt with it to some degree back in January. Instead of mounting it on the 2x3 frame rail as indicated in the manual, what if I put it on the diagonal cross member (1x1)? Here's a photo. Obviously, I haven't figured out the whole rotational thing with my photos in Windows 10 (they're correctly oriented every step of the way until they get loaded to the forum gallery! So, tip your screen 90 degrees to the right and you'll have the correct orientation

Any other thoughts on location for the in-line fuel filter? I'm guessing there's no reason why the tubing supplied with the two fittings on it can't be shortened...
    Curious as to whether you are using a mechanical fuel pump or an electric in tank pump? If mechanical, there has been discussion leaning toward not installing the FFR provided in-line filter. If not using a mechanical pump, then nevermind.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put mine on the outside of the 4" main tube beneath the drivers seat

Post Thanks / Like
    Have mine on the same frame member as AC_Bill just a little further forward. Also make a tank vent filter with PVC pipe & aquarium carbon.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    Curious as to whether you are using a mechanical fuel pump or an electric in tank pump? If mechanical, there has been discussion leaning toward not installing the FFR provided in-line filter. If not using a mechanical pump, then nevermind.
    My fuel pump is in the tank (came with the Coyote). Not mechanical. I like the approaches listed above about the fuel vent filters. I suppose I should do something about that while I can still access everything...

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mk4 is carbureted so the fuel filter came with the motor located after the fuel pump. Don't know if yours is fuel injected.