BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A Little Weekend Project

Post Thanks / Like

A Little Weekend Project

So the Mendeola Transaxles FFR PDG GTM's exhaust system was getting a little tired. After almost 5 years of racing and multiple times being cut open to repack the muffler, I decided it was time to spend a couple thousand bucks on a new system...IMG00938-20161015-0739.jpg

This is a picture of what the system was looking like before I got to work.
    Last edited by crash; 10-17-2016 at 03:39 PM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a couple pictures of all the components...IMG00937-20161015-0739.jpgIMG00939-20161015-0740.jpg
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a picture of the system I built on Saturday as a direct replacement for when we run at noise restricted tracks like Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, etc.IMG00942-20161015-2311.jpg
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a comparison picture of the old quiet system and the new "open" system I made on Sunday...IMG00940-20161015-0740.jpg
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    And finally, here is the almost finished "Project Hearing Loss" exhaust system...IMG00944-20161016-1051.jpg

Needless to say, it was a busy weekend.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done Crash.

I'm interested to know how the final product sounds. Someday I'd like to run laguna and the no cats kooks setup i run is not going to cut it. Even with cats I'm not sure I'd make the sound restriction. I'm amazed you can get a "race muffler " quiet enough to pass sound tech.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Just don't trip over your spare exhaust system and take a header down the stairs! (groaaaaaan!)

Post Thanks / Like
    The full muffler setup is totally stealth. Our car is barely noticeable as it goes by down the straight as far as noise is concerned. If you are interested in the muffler re-design, a video I made of me modifying the Magnaflow product is here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmFPrDyScHI

We meet Laguna sound on a sunny day with no issues. No turn outs required.

The only issue we have ever had was last year in the rain at the 25. We blew over sound two laps at night in the rain, so I came in, the turn outs were put on and we had no more issues. Cold, wet air transmits the sounds waves much more efficiently and TONS of people had noise citations at this same time. We just had a plan that required only about 30 seconds to install, so it worked out well.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the setup! What headers are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    We use the crate LS3 headers. But there are two different varieties. The rear dump and the center dump. The center dumps are what we need and use. I have built over 600 HP with these headers on the dyno and they are nice and compact. They seal well, have decent heat shielding, and the spark plugs all fit nicely. No reason NOT to use them.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember the two ls3 headers...... I found out the hard way lol the rear dump or Camaro manifolds just don't work in our cars because where the manifold dumps out doesn't allow for areasonable bend in the exhaust tubing to comnect the rest of the exhaust ( put that info out there for any future builders reading this) I took your advise and went with the center dump or corvette style manifolds and they've been great for all the reasons you've pointed out. You should maybe price out that exhaust for customers! ( the one with mufflers) I love the look and I'm sure I could relocate the lisense plate. Or is that crazy talk? Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I have said this before, but BY FAR the best deal out there is the Kooks exhaust that Shane sells. Just the two pre mufflers in this system cost around $500 a piece. Then there is the 3" 304 stainless exhaust tubing that, for this project you see here it cost almost $2000. Then there is the muffler. It is not expensive at something like $150, but the time it takes to rework it to fit within the GTM is extensive. All in, if I was to sell this system, you would be looking at somewhere north of $5,000. The Kooks is the way to go!

The only reason we do not run the Kooks system is because we have had to add two "kicker" bars that run diagonal from the main hoop down to the frame in the engine compartment in order to meet the NASA and SCCA rule requirements for the roll cage. This means an already tight engine bay just got even tighter and the only header that fits without modifications is the stock Corvette center dumps. Otherwise, we too would be running the Kooks system.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts