Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick, Talk some sense into me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quick, Talk some sense into me!

https://www.copart.com/lot/34480666/
    Cons: looks like it was being abused on a dirt hill when it rolled, probably needs the engine rebuilt.
    Pros: most of the important parts look pretty straight, probably could get this to my door for about $1000, which leaves me some room to pick up some of the stuff that might be un-salvageable. Plus it's a pure sale, so done is done.

In other news, I won a bid on an 05 legacy gt for $450 (damage listed as "mechanical" implies impending engine rebuild), waited the weekend for approval, and within an hour of me checking for approval, saw the car was relisted for auction tomorrow starting at $450. Sounds fishy to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wished I had paid more for a running car... but there was nothing available in Illinois. I never sold anything off mine. Parts I didn't need were either damaged or already sold before I got the remainder of the car. I did get almost everything from the car I needed though minus trans. This looks worse then mine. Looks like suspension and hubs are okay but you'll want to get new rear suspension, I'm sure anyways. Steering wheel, wiring harness seat belts probably okay. For 1,000 I May, but there's gotta be better out there. You won't recoupe anything from this you don't need.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought suspension was part of the 818 kit? I certainly wouldn't go higher than $1000, and most of that is shipping and fees(!). Most of the cars on there right now are going for 2500+(except the ones where the seller rejects the winning bid), so unless the trend changes I should expect 5000, including the budget for a stock engine rebuild. I'm not in a hurry, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    The rear trailing arm is crusty stamped steel and doesn't accommodate wider tires well. It also twists pretty easy in side collisions, so you need to check for straightness. The only suspension included in the kit is the upper linkage in the front. You use the wrx arm in the front for the bottom, the 06 wrx has aluminum arms which is nicer! Take your time to find the right donor. Stock motor is more then enough to have fun. If your planning on upping the hp with a rebuild anyways, you'll want a beefyer trans down the line too... a bunch of failures you can read up about on here. Trans arnt cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Only the sedan had the aluminum control arms, so won't get them off this one. The regular ones are fine though. There was someone else who sold off a substantial amount on a rolled car, so the parts are there even at $1,000 that this would be "free" pretty easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, you aren't talking me out of this!!! ha ha!
    Carrera, thanks for clarifying the suspension for me. I don't intend to build the motor out for high hp. My 86 dodge hatchback was a 12 second car and handled like the steel box it was, so I know what that feels like. Stock engine should be plenty to the 818 there with better handling, so I'll be happy.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    car has aftermarket exhaust rally wheels and dirt tires. signs of a hard life.

this thing has probably spent a fair amount of time being thrashed around the desert.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right. Looks like it was being thrashed when it rolled. What else would likely be unusable, though?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    hard to tell its life from the pictures. did you check the Carfax and see how long ago it was sold to the last owner? That might give you an idea about how long its been getting beat up.

could have:
    bent suspension pieces from being jumped and hitting rocks, maybe just from the rollover. most asphalt rollovers have suspension damage. maybe this one got lucky and rolled on a soft desert pillow.
    dried out bushings.
    sand/dirt in the engine/clutch assy/knuckles/calipers
    dried out bellows/cv joints
    sand in the bellows/cv joints if the boots are shot
    pretty much sand everywhere.

most likely it's fine, but I wouldn't pay too much.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the engine continued to run after the car rolled it could have bearing damage due to oil starvation.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would expect the engine to be toast. I agree, that it isn't worth paying very much at all, and my guess is that nobody else would, either. I just watched two legacy GTs go for 2500 (would cost me over $4200 to get them here, and with 180,000+ miles on them, I would still want to rebuild the engine). I'm trying to get a sense for how many parts I could replace new with the difference. Parts that maybe I wouldn't bother replacing if they were just a LITTLE bit nicer.

I know a lot of guys want to get their cars together and run, and I can't wait to drive I promise. But most of this is for me to have a project. So tearing into a few extra pieces to refurb them is a bonus for me. Thanks for weighing in guys. You're helping to keep me sane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would you guys be concerned about a copart listing that didn't show the engine? I suppose it's possible a front end wreck broke some things that prevent them from lifting the hood, and I know they are supposed to mark cars as "stripped" when it is missing something significant (like an engine), but all the same...I want to pass. Fair, or overreacting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't know enough about copart to know what sends up a red flag.

keep this is mind though as far as pricing.

I paid $500 for 4 knuckles/brakes/steering column/pedal box/ebrake assy/axles/master and slave cyls/steering wheel/all suspension pieces/bolts/brackets/fuel pump/cluster/wiper assy/fuse panels etc etc, I sold the wiper assy and rear diff and a few other things for about $100
    I paid $200 for an sti steering rack and solid link
    I paid $200 for an sti rad/fans/overflow tank

so for around $800 I got everything I needed to build the car minus engine/trans/harness (could have saved some cash using WRX parts)

all rust free Oregon parts already disassembled. just something to think about while bidding.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a rollover. Surprisingly it started right up, ran, and drove. Had one bent tie rod. Both rear trailing arms were bent (which is common with any wrecked auction car because they lift them with fork lifts), and I felt like I should replace all four wheel bearings so I did. Aside from that, all other parts needed for the kit were usable, but I did miss out on getting money by selling a number of things that would have been in good shape on a car that hadn't been rolled.... namely bumpers, lights, and body panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I paid 1850 for an 05 roll over with 70,000 miles, sold just over 2100 in parts and could squeeze out a few 100 more tho I gave some away in exchange for goodwill with subaru friends. My rolled over engine developed a slight rod knock noise and I opted for a new shortblock etc... many parts you won't want to use and you want to rebuild almost everything else. I think you could obtain the needed parts for less than $10 grand getting all new or rebuilt. There are so many variables, no wrong way to go! Check my build thread even with all the street CF pieces a new shortblock, quaife, upholstered interior, many of Craig's sweet upgraded hinges and louvers I have only $20K into my S
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 10-20-2016 at 06:45 PM.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Longislandwrx, you rock. If I can find all the odd parts for $1000, like you did, that leaves me a lot more room in my budget for rebuilding a car, so I would really only need to donor for a rebuildable engine, harness, and trans. That means that maybe a rollover isn't such a bad deal anyway.
    Hindsight, I wouldn't buy this rollover unless it was cheap enough to make me not feel bad about "losing out" on the sales, so thank you for bringing that up
    RM1, I've seen parts of your thread recently, but I'll go back and read it from beginning to end as soon as I catch up on my homework.

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    I found vehiclehistory.com. Claims the car was first junked (!) a few years ago at around 50,000 miles, went to Minnesota (not sure if rebuilt or what), and had 81000 miles at the last update. The odometer shows 111,000. Still doesn't mean much, if I could get a rebuildable engine and harness out of it for cheap cheap, but there are probably better deals for what I'll have to pay on shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Figured I'd just keep bumping this thread instead of cluttering up the forum with stupid questions. When I'm looking at the donor spreadsheet, I see legacy/outback. These are two different cars, right? Or is there actually an outback trim level for the legacy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    Figured I'd just keep bumping this thread instead of cluttering up the forum with stupid questions. When I'm looking at the donor spreadsheet, I see legacy/outback. These are two different cars, right? Or is there actually an outback trim level for the legacy?
    They were 2 different vehicles, the outback had a taller ride height but engine/trans/wiring should be similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, all of a sudden the turbo subarus with manual transmissions just dried up near me.

Post Thanks / Like
    be patient, the winter season is coming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Took me a second, but you got me to laugh!!

Post Thanks / Like
    busted car.JPG
    Is it just me or does the wheel look crooked? What probably broke here? Interestingly, the primary damage is "hail".

Post Thanks / Like
    busted car.JPG
    Is it just me or does the wheel look crooked? What probably broke here? Interestingly, the primary damage is "hail".
    That's some wild hail!. If it looks good on the bottom I would buy it though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Auction site, out of state, so I'll have to take a gamble on it. My guess is that anything that's broken I can probably replace for not-too-much money, and the rest of the car is in decent enough shape to boost the part-out. It's a pure sale, so if the crazy people aren't online when it goes to the block, I might get a good enough deal to make it worth the risk. Low-miles, though, so hard to say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony, it looks better than the flood car you posted a while ago. You said out of AZ but not from the rust belt, eh?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Colorado.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    looks like just a broken wheel (and obviously no tire) causing it to sit like that, It could be damaged strut/knuckle/axle/brakes/control arm/tierod/ either way not too bad.

MAYBE (unlikely) oil pan damage from pancaking it like a low rider.
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 12-02-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't have thought about the oil pan. Shouldn't be hard to get one of those either, if the price is right for the car. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    hope you get it. Nothing that would scare me away

Post Thanks / Like
    I you find you need it - I have a near new STI pan and Moroso oil pickup I could sell you. PM me if interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Didn't win. Being a cheapskate until maybe week after next, when things get serious around here and I can clean up the garage. I'll park in the driveway if I win a great deal, but if it is going to be average, I'll save space until I can start wrenching.

Post Thanks / Like
    what did that one go for?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure. I proxy bid to 1500 and had to work during the auction. I've seen similar go for 2200 to 3000, not counting fees and shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I finished my last semester. 37 years old, finally got a bachelor of science degree in math, with a 3.98 GPA. So now I have to get serious about a donor. I started with the garage. Pretty good progress with all the kids' stuff. This is where the wife parks, but she's going to switch with me since my hyundai is shorter than the minivan, and I'll have more room in the tandem part of the garage.FormatFactory20161214_191109.jpg

BUT the tandem part is going to take some work. Since I haven't been out there doing anything since early summer, it's kinda collected a bunch of....stuff.
    FormatFactory20161214_191117.jpg

But the weekend is coming, and I'm motivated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, does this look like it's pushed in enough for the timing gear damage I've been warned against?

c887968c-12b4-4b59-a598-e0896534765e.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, does this look like it's pushed in enough for the timing gear damage I've been warned against?

c887968c-12b4-4b59-a598-e0896534765e.JPG
    I am not an expert but it looks ok to me.. Can u look and see if any scrape marks on cover or any indication that cover has been hit??

Post Thanks / Like
    Its in a different state. Insurance auction. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not too bad, looks like the radiator even survived!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast