Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Koni Shock Issue - Rear

Post Thanks / Like

Koni Shock Issue - Rear

About mid-Summer, I started to notice a bit of a vibration in my suspension that felt somewhat like a rear wheel out of balance. It would occur around 45 - 50 mph and felt a little like I was running over a slight washboard surface, even when the road was relatively smooth. It seemed worse on roads with more imperfections, but I just figured it was time to maybe get the wheels balanced again.

Well, this past weekend, I picked up a rather large screw in my driver's side rear tire and found something interesting when I pulled it off to get it repaired - the rear Koni shock on that side is fairly wet with oil. I'm guessing that what I was feeling was the oscillation resulting from an undamped corner of the car.

My question for you guys is - do any of you know if there is a place where I can get that shock rebuilt or should I just order a new one from FFR or some other source?
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy a new one, I don't believe the steel body shocks are rebuildable/
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Now would be a good time to upgrade your rear coil-overs:
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...=876&cat_id=54
    (QA1's are rebuildable, although to my knowledge we have never had a customer need to.)
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Koni shocks have lifetime warranty, unless you have raced it..

PASSENGER CAR, LIGHT TRUCK & MOTORHOME: KONI North America LLC warrants all new KONI shock absorbers (purchased after 5/1/1980) and suspension kits (purchased after 1/1/1995) to the original retail purchaser for use in the United States and Canada against defects in materials and workmanship, excluding mounting hardware and bushings, when used under normal operating conditions for as long as the original purchaser owns the vehicle registered for street use on which the KONI shock absorbers were originally installed.

details..http://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAm...bout/Warranty/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Koni shocks have lifetime warranty, unless you have raced it..

PASSENGER CAR, LIGHT TRUCK & MOTORHOME: KONI North America LLC warrants all new KONI shock absorbers (purchased after 5/1/1980) and suspension kits (purchased after 1/1/1995) to the original retail purchaser for use in the United States and Canada against defects in materials and workmanship, excluding mounting hardware and bushings, when used under normal operating conditions for as long as the original purchaser owns the vehicle registered for street use on which the KONI shock absorbers were originally installed.

details..http://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAm...bout/Warranty/
    Curious as to the "original retail purchaser" statement. Dont know about this case but I know in lots of our cases we bought the shock from FFR who bought the shock from Koni. A technicality but I wonder is this is a disqualifier?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Curious as to the "original retail purchaser" statement. Dont know about this case but I know in lots of our cases we bought the shock from FFR who bought the shock from Koni. A technicality but I wonder is this is a disqualifier?
    Call Dan or Courtnie at Factory Five and see what they say.
    Seems logical since KONI did in fact work hand in hand with Factory Five Racing to develop shocks specifically for our kits.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd hope the heck they would be still covered. They cost more than most of the ones you might buy as a replacement for a production car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wareaglescott ,FFR would be the original retailer for the purchase so you would be fine .

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris,
    I'm curious if this was resolved to your liking? Did FFR, and/or Koni, honor the lifetime warranty?
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill,

I haven't called FFR yet, as the car is in storage until next spring. The issue wasn't so bad as to keep me from finishing out the driving season, but certainly something I want to fix once it comes out of storage in the spring.

A new shock is around $150 from FFR and I'm guessing that they're not covered under Koni's life-time warranty. I'll ask, but I'll bet that given FFR's statements that they sell race car components and that any street licensing is strictly up to the builder will be the basis for Koni denying a warranty claim under the second bullet point from the last in their disclaimer....

PASSENGER CAR, LIGHT TRUCK & MOTORHOME: KONI North America LLC warrants all new KONI shock absorbers (purchased after 5/1/1980) and suspension kits (purchased after 1/1/1995) to the original retail purchaser for use in the United States and Canada against defects in materials and workmanship, excluding mounting hardware and bushings, when used under normal operating conditions for as long as the original purchaser owns the vehicle registered for street use on which the KONI shock absorbers were originally installed. This warranty does not apply to, and KONI makes no warranty for, shock absorbers and suspension kits that have been:

- Not purchased new by the current owner.
    - Modified or installed improperly.
    - Bent or broken indicating abuse.
    - Supplied as Original Equipment on any vehicle except 1984-1986 Ford Mustang SVO.
    - Used on any vehicle that has been modified for a use other than or in addition to its originally intended use.
    - Used for an application that is not specified in the KONI literature.
    - Used on any vehicle for racing, off-road, or other driving competition.
    - Exported for use outside the United States and Canada.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered the shock from FFR finally - looking forward to getting on the road in the next couple of months. It's been a mild, but long winter, and every time it looks like the local roads will finally be cleansed of the salt dust, we get another light snowfall or freezing rain so that the crews can reapply a crusty layer of sodium.

Hopefully this will resolve that nagging little vibration I was feeling just before discovering the wet shock.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Did they honor the warrantee?
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't ask and they didn't offer. Given that my shocks are eight years old and spent a number of years hanging at full droop, I felt that it wasn't appropriate to ask.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    It's been a mild, but long winter, and every time it looks like the local roads will finally be cleansed of the salt dust, we get another light snowfall or freezing rain so that the crews can reapply a crusty layer of sodium.
    Move South Gumball, Move South!
    It's warm down here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Move South Gumball, Move South!
    It's warm down here.
    But then there are 6 months of the year when the amount of perspiration coming out is equal to the amount of water coming in.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    But then there are 6 months of the year when the amount of perspiration coming out is equal to the amount of water coming in.
    So true, I can always add more clothes to keep warm, can't take enough off to keep from sweating.

Tech Support, FFR Courtnie Provencher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    So true, I can always add more clothes to keep warm, can't take enough off to keep from sweating.
    I always say this!!!
    Courtnie Provencher
    Factory Five Tech Sales & Support