Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Project 818 Design Contest Winners

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olpro View Post
    They are both red. Other than that?
    They have four wheels?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have only just discovered this forum and the 818 project and I have to say it is fantastic.

I believe what Factory Five is doing with this project is excellent and with the help of all on this forum we will get a fantastic car.

I like the idea of three different body types and am particulary interested in the coupe version or at least a car with some form of weather protection.

All the designs submitted are outstanding and I can only admire the talent of these people but there is one in particular that is head and shoulders above the rest in my opinion and that is the 818 Carerra RS. PLEASE BUILD IT.

Carrera 818.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll second that ... It has been my desktop background for over a month now. ....I'll take two please! One for the street and one for the track

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Psay View Post
    I have only just discovered this forum and the 818 project and I have to say it is fantastic.

I believe what Factory Five is doing with this project is excellent and with the help of all on this forum we will get a fantastic car.

I like the idea of three different body types and am particulary interested in the coupe version or at least a car with some form of weather protection.

All the designs submitted are outstanding and I can only admire the talent of these people but there is one in particular that is head and shoulders above the rest in my opinion and that is the 818 Carerra RS. PLEASE BUILD IT.

Carrera 818.jpg
    that one was my first pick as well
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...u-Be-The-Judge

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't be fooled by a GROSSLY cheated design.
    cheat.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    not to cause a stir, but I think the outline of the engine and gearbox are about four and a half to six inches too high. If you look at the axle centerline and the trans case ... but hey, I'm no Subie expert. It just looks weird. Just go back and look at the chassis photos from the open house. Also, I don't think we will be asked to sit on the gas tank ... but I've been wrong before

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slopoke View Post
    not to cause a stir, but I think the outline of the engine and gearbox are about four and a half to six inches too high.
    The funny thing about the Subaru engine is it's not actually all that short (vertically), once you factor in things like the intake manifold and the intercooler. Yes, the transmission is shorter than the engine (with ancillaries), but I suspect the exhaust will be taking up that "free" space.

Also, I don't think we will be asked to sit on the gas tank ... but I've been wrong before
    From Dave's latest comments, you may be right. The difference is not staggering though. My roughest measurement says that the Carerra is <1.5 tire diameters tall. Assuming a 25" diameter tire (which was close to right, IIRC), that's less than 40" off the ground. The GT40 was 40" tall, and if you've never met one, they are seriously short. As in not fun to drive in traffic short. I like the Carerra sketches, but I'm not sure they're right for this car and I'm not sure they're distinct enough to avoid a Porsche lawsuit.

This dead horse has been beaten many times. It sounds like the design process will come back to us soon with scale models that demonstrate honest applications of some of the top designs. That's the time to start picking a champion, not from sketches, which as olpro suggests, can be quite misleading.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeerbaron View Post
    The funny thing about the Subaru engine is it's not actually all that short (vertically), once you factor in things like the intake manifold and the intercooler. Yes, the transmission is shorter than the engine (with ancillaries), but I suspect the exhaust will be taking up that "free" space.

From Dave's latest comments, you may be right. The difference is not staggering though. My roughest measurement says that the Carerra is <1.5 tire diameters tall. Assuming a 25" diameter tire (which was close to right, IIRC), that's less than 40" off the ground. The GT40 was 40" tall, and if you've never met one, they are seriously short. As in not fun to drive in traffic short. I like the Carerra sketches, but I'm not sure they're right for this car and I'm not sure they're distinct enough to avoid a Porsche lawsuit.

This dead horse has been beaten many times. It sounds like the design process will come back to us soon with scale models that demonstrate honest applications of some of the top designs. That's the time to start picking a champion, not from sketches, which as olpro suggests, can be quite misleading.
    all this may be true, but I still would like to see many of the design element from this car make it into the modeling stage

we'll just have to wait to see the clay models to see which cars are actually being considered for construction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slopoke View Post
    I'll second that ... It has been my desktop background for over a month now. ....I'll take two please! One for the street and one for the track
    +1 on the hardtop 818 Cararra.

It's not my #1 choice, but I bet it would be enormously popular! The drawing may be cheated, but if the finished car looks anything like a Porsche, it's a winner in my book.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by olpro View Post
    Don't be fooled by a GROSSLY cheated design.
    cheat.JPG
    this is the problem right here...

In the case of this design of the porch copy cat above you cant actually have your cake and eat it to... If you simply made the roof bigger and higher it would look all kinds of ugly!

I for one am very happy with the idea of riding around in this...

low slung 818.jpg

worth noting that it wouldn't be impossibly hard to manufacture a roof for this either. I think roof or not this car would look amazing
    Last edited by Flamshackle; 07-11-2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: forgot to say...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all,

I just joined and this is my first post.

At the risk of getting kicked off: I'm all for originality when required, but Dave, why not just tweak the new Stratos design (IMO the most beautiful car pics ever)? I can easily see how the body could be split for small molds.

Flyboy Steve

stratos new 2.jpgstratos new 13.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know the full details, so take this with a grain of salt, but FFR has already fought legal battles over "abandoned" designs. (Which they won, IIRC) Much less some obviously not-so-abandoned designs. I'm guessing the decision to spend a not insignificant amount of money to gather original designs for the 818 has something to do with the desire to minimize the possibility of a repeat appearance in court.

I would not expect a Stratos or Porshe (or sadly Mclaren F1) inspired car, as beautiful as they may be. Common sense - with a bit of history - will usually point us observers in the right direction, or at least tell us what trees not to bark up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim Schenck's Judge's Pick - Jeff Teague
    Amen. I don't like the front end but a little fettling will fix that.
    I wish I had had time to enter this competition. I am in the middle of starting my own mobility company so I am just swamped. My partner has designed some of the most recognizable cars in the world and we likely could have presented a top shelf design. I had kind of a stealth fighter concept that was at once subtle and easy to manufacture in mind.

Anyway, PLEASE take a closer look at Jeff's design, Dave. This is a Ferrari killer in the looks department (after some minor changes). High value. Have him send you a version without the horrendous paint scheme.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    Anyway, PLEASE take a closer look at Jeff's design...
    Unfortunately that design is massively "cheated". The wheelbase and wheel sizes suggest a car the size of a Zonda, rather than an Elise. Fixing the proportions of the Teague car as drawn would ruin the design, which mostly derives its impact from the relative scales of tires/windows/spoilers, which cannot be maintained on the wheelbase/track/height that are set for the 818.

Poke around the forums a bit, lots of interesting discussion going on about these designs and the next steps - 1/4 scale models are being produced, which should show off three of the best designs as they would fit the 818 chassis. We're all really excited to see what comes out, and I know I'm pretty sure the results will be spectacular.

Welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeerbaron View Post
    The wheelbase and wheel sizes suggest a car the size of a Zonda, rather than an Elise.
    I assume this is the concept we are talking about.

Jim Schenck's Judge's Pick - Jeff Teague
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ontest-Winners
    jeffteague.jpg

Thebeerbaron is spot on, look at this RUF, it's wheelbase is longer than the Porsche it is based on to get the chopped top look.

Now look at this Louts concept sketch, a far cry from what they actually bring to showcar and showroom. Reasons being what Olpro and thebeerbaron have already pointed out.

I'm all for having fun with concept sketches, but it is murder converting them into real life usable proportions. Not all designs were equally responsible or held themselves template accountable in this contest. Some people (myself included) are understandably bemused with the constant championing of "massively cheated" submittals because we know first hand how hard it was to get something good looking within the program.

Give us a break, and show some sympathy for us rational old folks.
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys Im new and I joined cause Im very interested in "818"... I would like to start with my opinion! I like Colin bonothans design the best... I do not like 3rd place, the side vents are retarded looking, like a 3rd grader sliced them up, and the air ducks up front look like a banzai GTR body kit for a Hyundai tiburon (not a good look)... 1st place is ok but again with the side vents looking crazy, I understand its mid-ship powered but its 2011 not the 1980s lets leave the testarossa alone... Organic flowing lines is what is needed. I think its great that the community gets to be actively involved in this process, thats what I call paving the way!

-cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    You sir are entitled to your opinion and I respect that - I may agree with some points and disagree with others.
    The great thing with this project is that there will be several body styles to chose from when it's all said and done.
    I'm going to reserve any design judgements until they're done with the process or ask for some input from us all again.
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew2.0 View Post
    Hey guys Im new and I joined cause Im very interested in "818"... I would like to start with my opinion! I like Colin bonothans design the best... I do not like 3rd place, the side vents are retarded looking, like a 3rd grader sliced them up, and the air ducks up front look like a banzai GTR body kit for a Hyundai tiburon (not a good look)... 1st place is ok but again with the side vents looking crazy, I understand its mid-ship powered but its 2011 not the 1980s lets leave the testarossa alone... Organic flowing lines is what is needed. I think its great that the community gets to be actively involved in this process, thats what I call paving the way!

-cheers
    Some rather bare knuckled comments there, some of them did make me laugh though.

Such comments are best made with offering an alternative choice so a decision can be made. Otherwise it is not constructive at all, and just comes off as mean hearted.

What do you have for us?

I trust the crowd here will not be equally cruel.
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    kach22i you have made a valid point, and I'm happy you brought it up cause I do have a very ruff draft of what I would like the 818 to look like... my intentions were not to be mean heart, it was constructive criticism- I mean we all want to drive around in the baddest, sexiest looking machine on 4 wheels right? I read something about selling your mom for one, and I for one will not send my mom for any of the designs picked so far, I will reevaluate my "opinion" when I see the models (my mom is a pretty good cook)... As far as my ruff draft I had issues loading the pic up for everyone to see, I will appreciate some help with that, I believe the file was only 550k.... Another thing I wanted to ask the people in charge of the molds are there any design elements you stray away from because of difficulty of fit finish issues, cause if so I can totally understand why certain designs were not picked...

U-N-V-Me
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Buggy View Post
    I would like to thank you for the opportunity to participate in this 818 body design contest. I'm very honored to have been chosen Tim Suddard Judge's Award! Also I’m a potential 818 customer. Thank you so much

This is what i want to build!
    1990 Mustang GT Yellow
    540RWHP 540RWTQ
    Twin turbo TDC 2XX kit
    - Feature car 5.0 Mustang & SF June 2006
    http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...rd_mustang_gt/
    I sell drugs to support my car addiction

U-N-V-Me
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Buggy View Post
    I would like to thank you for the opportunity to participate in this 818 body design contest. I'm very honored to have been chosen Tim Suddard Judge's Award! Also I’m a potential 818 customer. Thank you so much

This is the one i want to build
    1990 Mustang GT Yellow
    540RWHP 540RWTQ
    Twin turbo TDC 2XX kit
    - Feature car 5.0 Mustang & SF June 2006
    http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...rd_mustang_gt/
    I sell drugs to support my car addiction

Post Thanks / Like
    I also like the concept of a hot-rod dune buggy. I would build one as a fun car. It is very different and I like that. Let me know if you get any traction about making this available to build/sell.

BB
    Nashville, TN

Post Thanks / Like
    There is nothing to stop you guys once the kit is up for sale, if there's enough of interest you might be able to convince Mr. Smith to sell a run of non-body kits and make your own.
    Or sell off the kit body to some race team or such.
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345