Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Has anyone put an airbag in their GTM?

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone put an airbag in their GTM?

I'm still trying to determine if I can license and register a GTM in WI. In talking with the State Patrol who inspects these type of cars I'm told that it would have to meet current safety standards. This would include anti-lock brakes, bumpers, traction control and air bags. Since the GTM uses a corvette steering column it seems like having an air bag installed wouldn't be tough. I realize that it wouldn't be designed to be effective in the GTM but I would need it just to get over the inspection hurdle. Has anyone done this? Also, is it possible to add front and rear bumpers under the fiberglass body just to get past inspection? Thanks for any info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Of all the GTM's that have been completed and registered, I don't think that there are any that have had to have an airbag system.

In my opinion it would be dangerous and cost prohibitive to even attempt it. Airbags deploy by complex logarithmic functions within the computer code of the car's CAN/BUS system, which we don't use.

They are also sized in accordance with the size of the interior, as well as the distance from the steering wheel to the driver. The GTM is rather tight at best, and there is not a ton of room between the steering wheel, your chest, and face...

Hopefully, someone from the Wisconsin area will weigh in and let you know what their experience may have been. But for now, I would think that you can take that one off your list of things to worry about.

Enjoy the build!

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Keith.

I would call factory five. They will know if folks have registered GTMs in WI.

In New York they have special rules for cars like the GTM. Think about any custom car. It's impossible to build one to modern car safety specs. In NY we also need bumpers and the GTM frame was just fine as is. Even modern cars don't have 50s style steel bumpers. Just lots of plastic and metal only where it's needed.

Factory five will tell you if there are issues in your state. I'm reasonably sure it can be done.

When you start building we are here to help.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    California issues special registrations for home built cars and specialty vehicles. They pretty much only require the basic safety items. I think most modern cars only have like a 2.5 mph bumper as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would it be any different than for a FFR roadster... Surely dozens have been registered in your state without those features... I would seek a second opinion.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    I built a GTM for a customer in WI and he has it licensed. No air bags. Did you talk to the actual people who would be doing the inspection?....or just some random State Patrol guys? I'm guessing that the average patrol cop has no idea what is involved in an inspection on one of these cars. In Iowa, it is the DOT that does the inspection. In my experience, I would not ask ANY questions prior to inspection. Call and set up an inspection...ask no questions. Make sure all of your lights on the car are in working order.....headlights, tail, brake, turn. Depending on the inspector you get, in my experience, these are the only things that are looked at. The last 2 inspections I had done, I trailered the car to the inspection location and never took the car out of the trailer. He will need to verify the chassis serial number with the number on the Certificate of Origin.....and that number is stamped into the chassis right at the front of the driver's door on the tube that the hinges are welded to.

If you ask a bunch of questions about what it needs and what are the requirements, it's just going to open the door to having to do a bunch of stuff......like create temporary steel bumpers for the front and rear....been there, done that. Don't ask questions.....just let the inspector do the inspection. The car will either pass or fail and the inspector will tell you what needs to be fixed for it to pass. The inspection doesn't cost anything, so the most you'll be out is your time if it doesn't pass......make the changes needed and have it re-inspected. Been there, done that.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for all the replies. I went a different path today and was able to talk to an "advanced DOT" person. She listened to what the GTM was and told me she felt they could register it as a hobby car. This is great news since it then won't need any inspection and won't need to comply with current vehicle safety regs. I have asked her to send me an email confirming our conversation so there are no surprises when I go to register it. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked this up out of curiousity, since I've read through the Oklahoma equivalent legalese...

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/stat...tes/341/II/268

Of note is section (2)e.3:
    Except as provided in s. 341.09 (7), no reconstructed, replica, street modified or homemade vehicle may be operated upon any highway of this state during the month of January unless the owner of the vehicle reregisters the vehicle under s. 341.25 and replaces the distinctive registration plates issued under par. (c) with regular registration plates or transfers regular registration plates to the vehicle.

Never seen that before

-Kyle