Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Security concerns - home & on the road

Post Thanks / Like

Security concerns - home & on the road

I like to think of myself as observant and cautious rather than paranoid, but I've got a couple of questions that will probably smack of paranoia.

1) What do you recommend as an anti-theft device? Quick-release steering wheel that goes with me when I leave the car, hidden battery disconnect switch(es), large caliber handgun (just kidding, kind of), etc.? I suppose I could just pull the fuel pump fuse.

2) Do you ever worry about someone following you home so they know where to find your little toy when you don't happen to be home. I don't live in a bad neighborhood at all, but it's also not a gated, high-security neighborhood either. Is it better to park it in a secure storage facility or just rely on having good home security system and good insurance? I've never been broken into, but it may just be because I never had anything worth stealing. A FFR Roadster sitting in the garage would definitely change that.

Thanks

Infinity Box
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello BigDaddyD,

Just to throw an option out to you. Our Infinitybox system has been used to wire tons of Factory Five cars since we started this about 10 years ago. One of the most powerful features that we have is our inLINK security. inLINK is a simple upgrade to our base 10 and 2-Circuit kits. There is an encrypted radio receiver in our MASTERCELL that communicates with two key fobs. We use the same encryption as most OEMs for their alarm and security function.

inLINK lets you do some pretty basic things like popping your trunk from the fob or turning your lights on. More importantly, it gives you alarm, security and immobilizer functions built right into our Infinitybox wiring system. When you enable security from the key fob, we disable the outputs for the ignition, fuel pump and starter solenoid. Even if you have the key, you can't start the car until you disable security from the key fob. We can also set any MASTERCELL input to trigger the horn or an external siren when security is enabled. That could trigger an alarm if someone opens a door, tries to start it or moves the car.

The big advantage is that this is built right into our system. You don't need to wire a third-party alarm system into your wiring harness.

This link will get you more information.

http://infinitybox.com/wiring/security/

Please let us know if you have questions.
    Jay Harris
    Infinitybox, LLC
    http://infinitybox.com/
    Manufacturers of the INFINITYBOX Intelligent Wiring System

Post Thanks / Like
    When Im away from home, i use a quick release steering wheel, and a motorcycle cable lock around one of the wheels. Additionally, I park next to a car that looks better than mine.

At home, I just make sure the garage is secured.

Most importantly, I make sure the insurance bill is paid on time.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've got the following incorporated in my MK-4 build:

1. Quick Release Steering Wheel
    2. Hidden Switch For Starter
    3. Hidden Switch For Coil
    4. Hidden Keyed Battery Switch
    5. Hidden Petcock On Fuel Line

If method's #1-5 don't work, I alwaysl revert to the tools that kept me safe when I was once a Repo-Man!

NOTE: Our two large hounds sleep in the garage and are not fond of strangers so that's the system we employ in the Man Cave.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-20-2016 at 03:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If someone really wants it, they'll take it...

For 'peace of mind' consider the following:

1. Insure it for agreed value
    2. Store it in locked / secure garage
    3. Consider gps tracker or wireless security system

We use Spot Trace ($99 device and $99 per year) on a few toys, and it will send text messages and email upon any movement. Works great, and if it was taken, you have a live data feed to give to police to let them recover it.

http://www.findmespot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I take the key out when I park it (usually---I have absent mindedly left it in the ignition a couple while shopping) and pay the insurance premium when it's due. Seriously, I simply do not worry about it. If it goes away I'll build another.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I take the key out when I park it (usually---I have absent mindedly left it in the ignition a couple while shopping) and pay the insurance premium when it's due. Seriously, I simply do not worry about it. If it goes away I'll build another.

Jeff
    I'm with Jeff. I worry much more about the jealous punk who would key the car rather than the casual car thief. If a professional wants to take it, they'll take it despite anything that you can do, and that's what insurance is for. Haven't heard of many (ok ANY) instances of casual joy-riding type theft. It's too high visibility and the thieves probably wouldn't know how to drive it anyway.
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Jeff
    So true, it's one of the least likely cars to steal. Just like Jeff, I've left the keys in it plenty of times. My truck is way more likely to get boosted than a cobra.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: I take the key out when I park it (usually---I have absent mindedly left it in the ignition a couple while shopping) and pay the insurance premium when it's due. Seriously, I simply do not worry about it. If it goes away I'll build another.

Had mine at cars shows and left the key in it by mistake - not much chance anyone would boost it from under 50 prying eyes. These cars are a instant crowd gatherer, not going anywhere easily or without someone noticing or even filming it as it goes.

That being said, I do have a battery cut-off switch that disables everything but the computer. Without the ignition key turned on, nothing, repeat, nothing will work. I have it insured for a stated value and pay the premium on time every time. When at home, it sits in a video monitored garage.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I feel more secure already.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you will have a battery cutoff switch w/ the red plastic flag, mount it in the trunk. When you leave your car, turn it off and lock the trunk. This will keep the casual thief away. Anyone who is more of a pro will grab it w/ a truck which there is pretty much no way to counter. The tracker mentioned by ryanmac does seem like an effective idea which is pretty inexpensive.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much as Jeff has said, however I have a vinyl covered boat anchor chain I put on the rear wheel and lower control arm if I feel it's needed. The tonneau cover helps too.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, like Jeff, I often walk away leaving my keys in the ignition - usually if I'm at a cruise night or a gas station. With the ignition somewhat hidden down to the left of the steering wheel, it's not apparent unless you are looking closely.

As for storage, it's either in a locked garage (attached to the house) or my shop, which is a hangar at a local airport - all sorts of Fed issues for breaking and entering, there, though.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    My Cobra is so loud there is no way to jack it and not be noticed, ask my neighbors 427, 546hp, FFR weed blowers, quick call to the cops the guy is not getting far, just stop and listen for the roar. My other observation is that if it is a joy ride it will end bad for the thief. My Cobra is unrelenting, punch it it goes very fast. Punch it on a turn, it goes round and round. It is most ferocious in 4 gear around 50 mph, the guy is going to crash. Wreck my car, bummer, but he is going to get hurt or killed. Until you drive one, you cannot believe what the car can do, or do to you. My first question to the police would be is the guy ok?

That said here are the stats of hot rods stolen here in law abiding Minnesota from the hot rod show this past summer:

http://kstp.com/news/stolen-hot-rods...ounds/4208652/

Post Thanks / Like
    They are such an obvious car, I don't know if a thief would want to draw that much attention to himself? I suppose if it was going into a shipping container, and being shipped overseas, there might be enough money in it for them to take the risk, but just out for a joy ride..I doubt it.

A battery master switch, with the key removed, lol, would probably delay or confuse your average car thief enough that they would move on to a Honda, or a Ford truck..

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    I've got the following incorporated in my MK-4 build:

1. Quick Release Steering Wheel
    2. Hidden Switch For Starter
    3. Hidden Switch For Coil
    4. Hidden Keyed Battery Switch
    5. Hidden Petcock On Fuel Line

If method's #1-5 don't work, I alwaysl revert to the tools that kept me safe when I was once a Repo-Man!

NOTE: Our two large hounds sleep in the garage and are not fond of strangers so that's the system we employ in the Man Cave.
    Personally, I think you've done enough. I remove my steering wheel (quick release) and lock it in the trunk if I plan to be away for any length of time. I don't park in questionable areas. If I was travelling, I would probably be more paranoid like parking at a motel or similar unsecured area. I've also been guilty of leaving the keys in the ignition. I don't think I've ever heard of one being stolen though. At home, even in a remote area, it would take a stealthy person to get mine out of the garage without bringing down the Second Amendment Wrath of God down on them.

Good luck,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I think if you're parking it in a garage at your house (not a communal garage in an apartment complex), and if you have a house alarm, you are probably not at a significant risk of having it stolen.

I can see a thief going after a classic car - like an old Camaro or Mustang - because they know the parts, like body panels, are valuable and will sell. But what are you going to do with a kit Cobra? You can probably sell the engine and some of the drive train, but unless you know the particular kit well, you'd have to identify where the parts came from, and how much are you really getting for a random Ford 8.8 axle, etc? Can you find a buyer for the body or frame? Probably not, but you could for an old muscle car.

I don't know that commercial storage/garage would be an improvement unless you are away from home for long periods of time. Thieves really only fear one thing - the owner. They know an owner will kill them in some situations. Unarmed security guards at garages will not, and have even been paid off in some situations I've heard of. If you have a house alarm, they have to deal with that, too.

The biggest thing to worry about are probably your keys. The thief's best hope is to break in your house, find the keys, and scram before police arrive. Keep your keys locked away or hidden and you're probably good.
    Last edited by Zach34; 10-21-2016 at 01:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    As Jeff said, I don't worry about it. I do have a hidden switch to get it started but that's it. Insurance is for a reason.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive had my FFR for 16 years and have been reading all the web sites for those years. In that time I can recall 1 car being stolen. You need insurance and I wouldn't worry about theft unless you leave it parked over night in East LA.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    Personally, I think you've done enough. I remove my steering wheel (quick release) and lock it in the trunk if I plan to be away for any length of time. I don't park in questionable areas. If I was travelling, I would probably be more paranoid like parking at a motel or similar unsecured area. I've also been guilty of leaving the keys in the ignition. I don't think I've ever heard of one being stolen though. At home, even in a remote area, it would take a stealthy person to get mine out of the garage without bringing down the Second Amendment Wrath of God down on them.

Good luck,

WEK.
    I work in Down Town New Orleans and have for more than 30 years so I need redundancies, even though I park in a gated garage.
    Ironically I park in the same hotel where "Mark Essex" killed so many, holding The Big Easy Hostage for many days, over 40 years ago.
    Be Responsible, Be Careful, Support Law Enforcement, Plan For The Worst Case Scenario & Alway Remember To Pray Hard!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-23-2016 at 01:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jay,
    Thanks for the info. The inLINK system sounds pretty slick. Does it allow you to disable the car while it's running? The potential (God forbid) situation I have in mind is one where I'm stopped (gas, groceries, etc.) and somebody shoves a gun in my ribs and demands the keys. Not wanting to get shot, I hand over the keys, but as they're screaming out of the parking lot I reach into my pocket, grab the fob (not attached to the keys), punch a button and kill the ignition system. Suddenly they're stopped in the middle of the road, waiting for either the cops to arrive or for me to reveal that I am also carrying. An alternative would be a proximity connection between the fob and the ignition system. Let's say when the fob is more than 50 ft from the car it either won't start or will quit if it is started. Is there anything like that on the market? Just a thought...

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyD View Post
    Hey Jay,
    <snip> ...An alternative would be a proximity connection between the fob and the ignition system. Let's say when the fob is more than 50 ft from the car it either won't start or will quit if it is started. Is there anything like that on the market? Just a thought...

Thanks again.
    I believe this RFID system that I plan for my roadster will kill the car when the fob gets out of range, as long as its on max security.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will only stop a joy rider. You will not stop a real thief, as it will be on a flatbed.

Amazingly, a manual transmission will knock a good percentage out these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    You will only stop a joy rider. You will not stop a real thief, as it will be on a flatbed.

Amazingly, a manual transmission will knock a good percentage out these days.
    True, no one steals manual transmission cars because they can't drive them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had a nice car get get stolen and returned so I know the heart break I can't imagine what it would be like to have a car I "built" get stolen

Chris AKA Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    I believe this RFID system that I plan for my roadster will kill the car when the fob gets out of range....
    Thanks for this info Boydster. This is exactly what I had in mind!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyD View Post
    Thanks for this info Boydster. This is exactly what I had in mind!
    I've been researching it more. If you read in the installation .pdf, there's a great description of how it works and how very programmable it is. Nice stuff.

Watsons also has this unit for sale... Road Kill
    Last edited by Boydster; 11-11-2016 at 04:12 AM.