Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oil Temperature sensor galley plugs.

Post Thanks / Like

Oil Temperature sensor galley plugs.

I have the black plastic intake EZ30. I need a galley plug for the oil temperature. I think I found one on the top front left near the water temp sensor. If that is one I can't use them on both engines due to access. Does anybody know where all available plugs are for oil temp? There is a big one near the oil pressure switch and one on either side of the transaxle on the back.

20161006_1310022.jpg20161018_1220422.jpg20160912_155815.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    So I get the oil pressure from the galley plug near the turbo and I get the oil temp off my remote oil filter adapter before it goes to the cooler
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with one in the pan so I knew what heat level the engine was picking up.

Post Thanks / Like
    If using the oil filter adaptor/sandwich, what do you need to mate up the sensor? Could one use an AN10 fitting? Also, how would you mount a sensor in the oil pan?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    If using the oil filter adaptor/sandwich, what do you need to mate up the sensor? Could one use an AN10 fitting? Also, how would you mount a sensor in the oil pan?
    I'm using this http://www.frsport.com/Greddy-124011...t_p_12814.html which has a fitting for a oil temperature sensor
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    By using this in place of the drain plug if it's the same thread. I would prefer to put the sensor in a galley plug.

http://www.iagperformance.com/Prospo...ru-p/psnut.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anybody know what this plug accesses? Is it a good place for a oil temp sensor?

20161006_131002 (2).jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like the idea of a wire hanging from the oil pan. Anyone know if I can replace some oil galley plug with a fitting for an oil temp. sensor on the EJ20 engine? I realize that it has to be a location that would correctly monitor oil temp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Are these oil gallery plugs on the EZ30?

20160912_155815.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got an interesting question to ask about pipe threads. Has anybody purchased adapters that were supposed to be 1/8" NPT but your sensors wouldn't screw into them? I purchased oil pressure extension hoses with adapters. Their male and females wouldn't screw into each other, the VDO sensor wouldn't screw into their adapter BUT, the Subaru Oil Pressure Switch DID screw into their adapter.

Signed, Totally Confused (Which is nothing new when it comes to working on cars)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB91710 View Post
    I've got an interesting question to ask about pipe threads. Has anybody purchased adapters that were supposed to be 1/8" NPT but your sensors wouldn't screw into them? I purchased oil pressure extension hoses with adapters. Their male and females wouldn't screw into each other, the VDO sensor wouldn't screw into their adapter BUT, the Subaru Oil Pressure Switch DID screw into their adapter.

Signed, Totally Confused (Which is nothing new when it comes to working on cars)
    I have used grease gun extension hose w/o any issues with the 1/8 NPT
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a similar one from Prosport.

http://prosportgauges.com/oil-filter-adaptor-plate.aspx

I haven't run the car for extended periods of time yet but I have my exhaust wrapped, so I think the heat will be OK. time will tell.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB91710 View Post

Factory Subaru bits might be BSPT. I know the fittings in the intake manifold are not standard north american NPT.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Subaru IS BSPT. I would suggest you re-thread any holes where you might want to use a 1/8' NPT fitting or sensor. Buy some 1/8" plugs. It is sometimes difficult or risky to tap them later, though you can get away with it by using grease to catch the chips and care, as in carefully.
    Also, BSPT of this size will work in 1/8" NPT. Just don't go crazy and tap the hole too far. You just have to add a little more teflon tape or "goo" to the BSPT. The other way around it is a no-go (as everyone probably knows) since you get about one thread's engagement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why do there have to so many different ways to bolt two things together?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhhh the mysteries of the universe...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I swear there is a conspiracy out there with my name on it. All I'm trying to do is install replacement sensors. Water and oil temp and oil pressure. I bought adapters for the water and oil temp. The VDO sensors are too thick to pass through the adapter but, the good news is, it Will screw into the block. I think I'm going to put them in my vise and drill them out rather than send them back and get others.

And as previously mentioned, the oil pressure hose adapters won't screw into each other even though they are the same thread from the same company, nor accept the VDO pressure sensor which is the same thread. What would we do without China? So after two weeks of investigating and buying, I'm back to square one. It Never gets any easier.

News flash, the VDO oil pressure sensor which is 1/8" NPT won't screw into the block adapter's 1/8" NPT.

Now I'm finding out you can order VDO sensors in a variety of thread sizes including M12-1.5. Of course they only come in 300 degrees. I'm going to get drunk now!

[ATTACH]60417 [/ATTACH] 20161103_121313.jpg 20161103_121149.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JB91710; 11-03-2016 at 03:15 PM.