Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Potential Donor

Post Thanks / Like

Potential Donor

So this has the potential to be a long post, but here goes. I’ve been interested in building an 818 for the longest time. And the desire has been drastically increased with the introduction of the coupe.

Goals: Primarily street driven, maybe some autocross.
    Budget: $25k

I’ve waffled on donor options so much it makes my head hurt. I really love the idea of an EJ207v7 for the redline and the sound, but I wonder if the cost is worth it for my goals and budget. I’ve thought about the 2.5RS for cost and simplicity, but wonder if it’d leave me wanting more power. Of course I like the 06-07 donor option for the 2.5L and brakes, but those seem to command such a premium.

I’m a Subaru guy and bought my 2005 WRX sedan new and have considered using it. It’s got 105k miles on it and some upgrades (STi UP, Cobb TBE, STi TMIC, STi injectors, Walbro 255 lph FP, TD04-19t with an open source (Tactrix) tune). It also has the 06-07 WRX brakes. Biggest downside is the fact that it’s lived (garaged) in Cleveland for six years and street parked in Philadelphia for four, so rust is definitely there which bugs me.

However, today a potential situation has arisen that might be too good to pass up.

My college roommate has a 2005 WRX wagon that he bought used from a Subaru dealership with 40k on it. First owner had it dealer maintained, from what I can tell. The timing belt was done under warranty at 50k due to a bearing issue, but I don’t think it caused any damage. Right now it’s at 130k and has been well maintained and mostly garaged (and lived in the south, so very little to no rust!). Apparently last week it stopped building boost. Shop says it is likely the stock TD04. It needs some other items at this point in time: timing belt, RF ball joint, valve cover gasket, rear endlinks and rear brake pads.
    He’s a responsible guy and I know he hasn’t beaten on this thing like a kid. It has some milder upgrades: STi UP, Cobb DP, STi cat back, KB short shifter and bushings, Whiteline rear sway bar, Koni inserts on wagon pink springs and some Rota wheels. He’s also on a Tactrix tune.

Long story short(er), due to some life changes, he’s considering selling to get a different vehicle and is weighing the possibility of selling it as is instead of fixing it and then trying to sell it. He got in touch with me because I had mentioned the 818 to him in the past and he was curious if I was still interested in the project.

Seems like a really good car for a donor with the bonus of allowing me to revert my sedan to stock power and brakes to use my existing sedan upgrades on the 818.

Thoughts? Fair price for the wagon in it’s current condition? This is kind of out of the blue, as I’m still not close to buying the kit, but if the price is right, it’d give me time to prep the donor and take my time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this whole thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can get it at a good price go for it! I went the zero donor route and am very happy I did! I also got an Ej207 V7 from japan with under 60,000 km. If your looking for a list on what you need to go the no donor route I have this list on my website. http://redfogo.com/index.php/oem-part/

Ask yourself though if you feel the motor has life left in it. Ask yourself if you plan to use all the suspension parts off the car or if you will be upgrading to aftermarket/STI parts. I knew I wanted the STI aluminum control and after market suspension linkage both for lightness and the overall look of them I feel fit the car better. Think of all the other parts you use things like the fuel pump how many miles are on it, do you want WRX seats in your 818? The calipers are they still in good working order, or will they need to be rebuilt? I guess what I am getting at is if you just want a donor to work from and not replace much go that route! Don't waist the money and time on a car if you plan to use 10% of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    If you can get it at a good price go for it! I went the zero donor route and am very happy I did! I also got an Ej207 V7 from japan with under 60,000 km. If your looking for a list on what you need to go the no donor route I have this list on my website. http://redfogo.com/index.php/oem-part/

Ask yourself though if you feel the motor has life left in it. Ask yourself if you plan to use all the suspension parts off the car or if you will be upgrading to aftermarket/STI parts. I knew I wanted the STI aluminum control and after market suspension linkage both for lightness and the overall look of them I feel fit the car better. Think of all the other parts you use things like the fuel pump how many miles are on it, do you want WRX seats in your 818? The calipers are they still in good working order, or will they need to be rebuilt? I guess what I am getting at is if you just want a donor to work from and not replace much go that route! Don't waist the money and time on a car if you plan to use 10% of the car.
    Thanks for your reply. I've had your website bookmarked for a long time and have really enjoyed following your build. May I ask what you've budgeted for your build? I have weighed the idea of going no-donor and your comment makes lots of sense. I had planned on going fairly vanilla/straight forward, and would certainly take the path of using as much of the donor as possible if the price is right on the donor.

Update- the turbo is still good, it was just the c-clip on the wastegate that had popped off...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by milkman dan View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I've had your website bookmarked for a long time and have really enjoyed following your build. May I ask what you've budgeted for your build? I have weighed the idea of going no-donor and your comment makes lots of sense. I had planned on going fairly vanilla/straight forward, and would certainly take the path of using as much of the donor as possible if the price is right on the donor.

Update- the turbo is still good, it was just the c-clip on the wastegate that had popped off...
    My budget has been to be under 25k including the kit (I did what most forum folks would say is bad and got a personal loan for the kit only). I buy all parts out of pocket as I go. I used what I had saved for a kit to buy my engine and other large price items at the start. No regrets about it I have had so much fun so far to feel bad!

I know I'm far past the price of a forum priced 818 donor. Most of the 818 donor guys are getting there cars for amazing prices. I have never seen a decent WRX for less then 4k in my area. 150k 2006 WRX with a dent in the bumper and other problems people are asking 12k in my area. And then you got the 2002-2003 WRX guys who are selling 200k+ cars for 4k+. 2004-2005 WRX are 5-6k. It just never seemed to make sense for me to go the donor route. So if you can get a great deal and want a vanilla build go donor all the way!

Good to see the turbo is in good condition
    Last edited by redfogo; 10-21-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Nothing cheap out here either. I'm trying to make a lucky score on Copart, but even when I get outbid on an salvage-titled insurance wreck with the bumper smashed in and 150,000 on the engine, it's because someone was willing to spend $2000, plus $800 in fees and whatever it cost them to ship/pick it up (almost a thousand for me). When we're looking at $4k for a literal wreck, no-donor starts to look pretty good. On the other hand, used engines I've seen with 80-100k miles are selling from junkyards for 3 stacks, no harness, no alternator, etc...just the longblock. Good luck, but maybe try to shop around and see what they are going for in your area, or what it would cost to get a similar car out to you. That would probably give you a better idea.