Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Grill mesh trim

Post Thanks / Like

Grill mesh trim

So I have been looking at different materials for mesh for some of the vent cut outs and such. I think I have got it down to using some ABS plastic hex mesh.

My question before I go down this path is how has everyone else set up the mesh to follow the lines of the cuts made? We have a flat edges in most cases. I know FFR provides some trim for some of the holes.

Has anyone found a better method then using the FFR trim? I really like how most OEMs have a leading rounded edge that's going into the grill section but can't think of a good way to get that style.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a die-cut hex panel and black edge guard because I think the FFR circle screening is too restrictive and common looking, plus the 1-inch aluminum bezels are clunky, I think. In this photo I compared the FFR circle screening to my die-cut hex - both sprayed with gloss black. But, we all have different tastes and opinions so none are wrong.
    hood vents 75.jpg
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a powdercoated aluminum hex pattern mesh for mine from customcargrilles.com. check out my build for pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    I bought a die-cut hex panel and black edge guard because I think the FFR circle screening is too restrictive and common looking, plus the 1-inch aluminum bezels are clunky, I think. In this photo I compared the FFR circle screening to my die-cut hex - both sprayed with gloss black. But, we all have different tastes and opinions so none are wrong.
    hood vents 75.jpg
    So how did you stick the mesh to the edge guard? Glue? Or is it this enough to grab both the panel and the mesh?

Post Thanks / Like
    First, I put the edge guard on the edge of the opening. The edge guard was from Amazon and had glue inside that softens with heat - don't buy the cheapest stuff on Amazon because it was garbage. Then, I cut the hex screen larger than the opening and applied silicone sealant around the back side on the opening, held in place by some sticks and zip ties until set, like the manual shows.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not use any edge guard I finished the edges of the fiberglass and painted it then used urethane the screen to the underside so it sits flush

Post Thanks / Like
    I attached my hex grill to the backside of panels using:
    1 hot glue to stick the corners
    2 silicone to entrap the hex grill

I had also pre-lined the cut outs with a plastic split trim to keep the edges looking clean(er).
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    I found edge guard at oreilly . black with glue inside. Use it around my grille openings. The trim looks kit carish IMO.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    First, I put the edge guard on the edge of the opening. The edge guard was from Amazon and had glue inside that softens with heat - don't buy the cheapest stuff on Amazon because it was garbage.
    Ok wich one it was?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, I plowed through my fat receipts file and found that the door edge trim from Amazon was sourced from Automotive Authority, but I don't see them on Amazon today. I guess Amazon has changed sources so all I can say is that door edge guard is not expensive so don't buy the cheapest. At first, I suckered for the cheap stuff and it was thin crumpled garbage that I returned.

Post Thanks / Like
    So buying on ebay with caution then...
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021