BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need advice with my steering shafts

Post Thanks / Like

Need advice with my steering shafts

Decided to go out in my 33 ( not finished but drivable) for gas. Went about 50 feet when two of the steering shafts separated ( suddenly not drivable). I thought I had all joints tight with blue loctite. I am tempted to try red loctite but would like to hear of other solutions such as cutting grooves on the flat shaft surfaces to prevent the screws for sliding even if they become loose or drilling all the way through to install nuts and bolts.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Install a pointed set screw to make a starting point remove it and then drill a dimple then get 2 short set screws and stack them one on top of the other that's how it is done on machine tools
    Chris aka Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    If your sure you had them tight, then check for binding or interference before proceeding.
    Mike

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gromit detailed a solid method -- I've never seen shaft setscrews come loose using it. However, I have had an extremely difficult time removing smaller setscrews using the locking screw method. It really works great on setscrews ⅜" and up or with square headed setscrews as the locking screw. Any corrosion or grit will lock the small ones so tight you may never get them loose without heat. If you do go this route use SS set screws or lots of anti-seize. You do need to drill a dimple for the setscrew to locate in deep enough that the shaft can't disengage. My preference is red loctite and a lock nut for securing the setscrew and a dab of torque stripe (sometimes called inspector's varnish or tamper paint). I torque stripe all critical fasteners on the suspension and steering unless they are safety wired. Torque stripe is a quick drying thick lacquer that comes in a tube. Once dry it easily cracks showing that the fastener has loosened. A dab on the head of a fastener or nut and the parent material it is clamping will give you a visual indication if the fastener has turned (loosened). This is much easier and less intrusive than periodically putting a wrench on a fastener to check it. You can pick up torque stripe from McMaster-Carr in different flavors. Basic blue is part number 1476T115.