Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Frame Buck dimensions....for transport

Post Thanks / Like

Frame Buck dimensions....for transport

Finally found a kit for sale....not started, going to pick up and bring home on trailer, my seller had the frame powder coated and I want to get home (750 miles) without destroying the finish. thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fhp1154! View Post
    Finally found a kit for sale....not started, going to pick up and bring home on trailer, my seller had the frame powder coated and I want to get home (750 miles) without destroying the finish. thanks in advance
    need help with measurements

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you not just take some old carpeting to set the frame down on, the trailer deck, and maybe some toweling at the tie-down points? My car arrived with powder-coated frame, just the tube frame basically resting on the ply-wood. Not even any padding. No issue with scrapes or chips. Powder coat is pretty resilient if done correctly. It was shipped over 2000 miles..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Could you not just take some old carpeting to set the frame down on, the trailer deck, and maybe some toweling at the tie-down points? My car arrived with powder-coated frame, just the tube frame basically resting on the ply-wood. Not even any padding. No issue with scrapes or chips. Powder coat is pretty resilient if done correctly. It was shipped over 2000 miles..
    Yep, what he said.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 4" frame tubes are spaced 24" on center so 20" between the inside surfaces or 28" to the outside.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard of guys using old tires for cushioning the frame while transporting.
    JR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcuz View Post
    I've heard of guys using old tires for cushioning the frame while transporting.
    JR
    That's what I did! 1200 miles without a problem!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    20140720_154424.jpg20140720_154436.jpg

I rented a U-Haul and built an 85" long dolly that fit the dimensions of the 4" tubes with the 24" centers mentioned above. The wheels on the dolly are spaced to fit within the U-Haul ramp. This allowed me to unload the chassis with the aluminum and body attached from the U-Haul truck with only two people and roll it into my garage. The height was set to avoid the front and rear of the body hitting the ground on the leading end, the ramp on the trailing end and the center as the midpoint of the dolly crossed to high point of the ramp. I used this dolly to support the chassis through most of the build allowing me to move the chassis at any point during assembly. Not shown in the picture are the carpet strips I added at each of the four resting points for the tubes to avoid scratching the powder coat.
    Last edited by JIMOCO; 10-25-2016 at 09:35 AM.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    I rented a 16' box truck and used landscape timbers screwed into the wood floor. the frame went on it without damage, and it was easy to position in place. Strapped it down, then put the body on and fastened in place. Traveled without any trouble.

Sorry the photos are so big

Attached Images Attached Images