BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: AWIC hose placement

Post Thanks / Like

AWIC hose placement

awic hose1.jpgawic hose2.jpg

Can I run the hose from my AWIC through the opening above where the coolant pipe runs or will it interfere with the door.

Thanks
    tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. That's what I did. One per side. It looks like your hoses are about 5/8" ID? It fits tight but it fits. Tamra made 1" hoses fit in there but I think she had to mod something or squeeze the hose, I can't recall. 5/8" fit no problem as long as you angle and orient them properly.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the confirmation. Actually hoses are 3/4 inch. The pictures are two different angles of same hose. I plan on running one on either side.

Post Thanks / Like
    They will fit. You've got tons of space inside de side pods (no higher than 5" above the bottom of the side 1.5" tube frame). Make sure you keep the hose as close as possible to the frame at the point where it gets out of the pod and inside the coolant hole, so that it won't interfere with the inner top edge of pod.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tgf05354 View Post
    awic hose1.jpgawic hose2.jpg
    Can I run the hose from my AWIC through the opening above where the coolant pipe runs or will it interfere with the door.
    Thanks
    tom
    Tom
    Going through the right side mouse hole I have:
    One 1.25" OD Radiator tube.
    Two 3/4" ID AWIC hoses
    One 5/16" ID radiator bleed hose.

The 3 hose are on top the angled square tube.

On the left side I only have on radiator tube. This was because of our size, we needed a very small dead pedal.
    Bob

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-26-2016 at 11:27 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Another question. The kit I got from Zerodecibel (Craig) came with an electric fan. Are people using it? I haven't seen any in the searches I've done. If so are they being wired to be on whenever the engine is running or temperature control. I am assuming on all the time.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tgf05354 View Post
    Another question. The kit I got from Zerodecibel (Craig) came with an electric fan. Are people using it? I haven't seen any in the searches I've done. If so are they being wired to be on whenever the engine is running or temperature control. I am assuming on all the time.

Tom
    Assuming you attached your AWIC heat exchanger in front of your radiator, there aren't too many options other than having your radiator fans cool both the radiator and AWIC HX. I also got my kit through Craig but didn't use the fan. The AWIC heat exchanger will do a decent job of cooling the water (that's cooling the air going into the engine) even without a fan.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered direct from Frozen boost and the kit comes with a fan. I suspect Mechie just passes it along when you order from him.
    I didn't use mine either..... as Stipwrd says.... don't need it.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't use the fan. I didn't know about the prepackaged kit when I bought my parts so paid more for them and didn't get a fan. Doh!

I ran my AWIC lines down through the center. It makes the side firewall areas a little bit more open (less things to rub together) but made the area over the gas tank a bit crowded.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for the help. I'll be running the hoses down the side as I don't want the heat down the center. I'll skip the fan, one less thing to install if not necessary, especially for a road car with no track time anticipated. My Iwire harness has just been shipped. Yay! Go cart stage not to far off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Craig, can you comment on the temperature of the hoses run down the center and if you bothered to insulate the 'hot' hose? I'm thinking of doing this as well since I have an iWire harness and K-tuned shifter my center tunnel has plenty of space compared to routing on the sides.

tgf, remember the AWIC is cooling air, which has a much lower specific heat than water, so the temperature in the warm AWIC hose will be much lower than the coolant in the radiator pipes, especially in a street driven 818 that will operate not under boost most of the time. I really don't think it should be an issue.

Also, I was going through my bin of unused parts and I couldn't figure out where that fan came from until this thread reminded me it came with the AWIC kit. I guess I'm just getting old, or my build going too slow, to have totally forgotten about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I insulated both the hot and cold lines all the way from the AWIC core to the pump and to to the heat exchanger up front. I didn't want the hot line heating up the cold line as they sit next to each other. I used the DEI heat wrap. I haven't run my car enough to get it hot.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    OK lots of information. Fan not needed, seems hoses can go either outside or inside. How about recirculating BOV. I know Craig(Mechie3) modified his stock BOV to mount to the greddy flange. I'd like to use the stock one as well, but I don't think I have the talent to do that. What are others doing? I don't really want to spend $200 plus on a new Greddy, has anyone used the knockoff that frozen boost sells?

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the one from Frozen boost, but haven't really checked it out yet. If it doesn't work well, I'll go Mechies method.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig(Mechie3), I know you told me you drilled holes and silicone the stock BOV on. Can you please provide any more details and pictures on how you did it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's two holes drilled in the BOV flange. You might need to grind off a rib as well. I'll try and find my pics.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you tap the holes or are they though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just figured out an issue I was having with the BOV. I could not figure out how to mount the stock unit without the recirculation output hose interfering with the t pipe. Today I noticed that the recirculation port on the stock BOV is screwed on and you can turn it 180 degrees if you grind off a small locating tab. This makes it angle away from the t pipe and should make it easier to fit. Is this what others have done?